2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driver side rear sagging 2cm/1", front passenger sagging 3cm/1.5" - Any ideas

06-28-2019, 06:08 AM   #1
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

Driver side rear sagging 2cm/1", front passenger sagging 3cm/1.5" - Any ideas

I noticed my front near side seemed slightly lower than the offside so decided to measure from symmetrical points of reference on either side. The left (near side) is 3cm or 1.5" lower than the right (offside). I checked the rear and found the opposite; left is 2cm/1" higher than right side.

Tyre pressures seem OK (35psi)

Firstly, should I be worried?

Secondly, what could cause this?

Note that I have Adaptive Drive, with active dampers and roll bars. Does this suggest a problem with them?

Thanks
      06-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandthrow View Post
I noticed my front near side seemed slightly lower than the offside so decided to measure from symmetrical points of reference on either side. The left (near side) is 3cm or 1.5" lower than the right (offside). I checked the rear and found the opposite; left is 2cm/1" higher than right side.

Tyre pressures seem OK (35psi)

Firstly, should I be worried?

Secondly, what could cause this?

Note that I have Adaptive Drive, with active dampers and roll bars. Does this suggest a problem with them?

Thanks
The way you describe it, doesn't make sense. If there is a spring problem you would typically have the opposite. Say the N/S front is down, the O/S rear would be high. Before you get too concerned, are you definitely on flat and level ground? Doesn't take much to get an odd stance, if the ground varies a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
bendandthrow
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535d Touring 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The way you describe it, doesn't make sense. If there is a spring problem you would typically have the opposite. Say the N/S front is down, the O/S rear would be high. Before you get too concerned, are you definitely on flat and level ground? Doesn't take much to get an odd stance, if the ground varies a bit.
Doh! Thanks Pete, I think that is the problem. It is on my drive which I thought was flat and level. However I just ran a long spirit level all around the car and guess what? There is a rise under where the right rear wheel sits. I guess this would cause the right rear of the car to appear lower. Would it also cause the front left to tip down, making that lower as well? If so, problem solved. I should note that the front tyres are actually at 30psi, not 35 as reported in my first post, if that is relevant.

I took a quick drive around the neighbourhood looking for a surface where I could get the 2 rear wheels at the same elevation (ie no slope left to right) but could not find one, even when parking perpendicular to the road. I did not fancy parking across the camber in the middle of the road. So I have not yet been able to prove this is the cause, but it does seem likely. Thanks again.
      06-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Good luck finding anything perfectly flat. Most roads/parking lots/etc. are supposed to be laid with a slight angle for water run-off
Appreciate 0