2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Thinking about getting news wheels and possibly coilovers in the near future

03-29-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
philliesjawn
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

Thinking about getting news wheels and possibly coilovers in the near future

Hello everyone!

I am thinking about getting new wheels and coilovers in the near future and just beginning my research. I was looking at the KW V3 coilovers and the reviews have been great.

My confusion comes in when it comes to wheel sizing. I don't want to have to roll my fenders or anything like that to get everything to fit in the wheel well with the wheels and new coilovers. When searching for wheels, how can I ensure the new wheels and the V3 setup will work without having to mess with my fenders?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesjawn View Post
Hello everyone!

I am thinking about getting new wheels and coilovers in the near future and just beginning my research. I was looking at the KW V3 coilovers and the reviews have been great.

My confusion comes in when it comes to wheel sizing. I don't want to have to roll my fenders or anything like that to get everything to fit in the wheel well with the wheels and new coilovers. When searching for wheels, how can I ensure the new wheels and the V3 setup will work without having to mess with my fenders?

Thanks!
Quick note. These cars don't have much fender to roll. They are basically rolled already. Lots of info on this site for proper sizes offsets, widths, etc...
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
KWV3 are the way to go.

A lot of people currently have the setup that you want. What size wheels were you looking for? Its just a matter of find out their specs. Read here: https://f10.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=316

And like dadysev said, there isn't much fender to roll at all, its pretty minimal.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
philliesjawn
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
KWV3 are the way to go.

A lot of people currently have the setup that you want. What size wheels were you looking for? Its just a matter of find out their specs. Read here: https://f10.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=316

And like dadysev said, there isn't much fender to roll at all, its pretty minimal.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I think first I'm going to go with just getting the KWV3s and then doing wheels at a later time. My stock wheels (non-M, sadly) are 18''. I'll probably either stay with 18'' or go 19''. I don't really want to go too much bigger than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply! I think first I'm going to go with just getting the KWV3s and then doing wheels at a later time. My stock wheels (non-M, sadly) are 18''. I'll probably either stay with 18'' or go 19''. I don't really want to go too much bigger than that.
I'd do that first too. I have 19's M Sport wheel currently and I'm lowered on H&R. Just be careful when looking at size that we have X-Drive so if you do decided on a staggered setup, that its within variance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i'll chime in! KW's...excellent choice but as far as wheels to run and because you're XDrive there are rules that apply. also, offsets really matter in regards to fitment and rubbing. but it all depends on how low you are planning to go? honestly if you're not planning on dumping you're F10 you're better off getting springs. Most of us who are running coilovers go this route because we want to sit a lot lower than what the most aggressive springs offer.

for example here's my rears when i first lowered her sitting on 21x11 40mm offset no rubbing but you can see it's pretty damn close

here's when i raised it around 3/4"
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Quote:
here's when i raised it around 3/4"
When you raised it 3/4", how much more room did you have to go up further? Wondering how close to stock ride height you can get on the KWs.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
philliesjawn
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'll chime in! KW's...excellent choice but as far as wheels to run and because you're XDrive there are rules that apply. also, offsets really matter in regards to fitment and rubbing. but it all depends on how low you are planning to go? honestly if you're not planning on dumping you're F10 you're better off getting springs. Most of us who are running coilovers go this route because we want to sit a lot lower than what the most aggressive springs offer.

I do want to lower mine a bit, but mostly was looking into the KW coilovers because I have heard they change the feel of the ride and that's really what I would like to do. I want my car to feel less boaty, if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthureau View Post
When you raised it 3/4", how much more room did you have to go up further? Wondering how close to stock ride height you can get on the KWs.
This is how she sat during the winter. you can easily set the coilovers to stock height. another great reason i went with coilovers because when i need to get service done at BMW i can just adjust my coilovers up so they don't have issues getting the car on the lift

Quote:
I do want to lower mine a bit, but mostly was looking into the KW coilovers because I have heard they change the feel of the ride and that's really what I would like to do. I want my car to feel less boaty, if you know what I mean.
you could also go with CKS which is cheaper than the KWV3's. a member just recently picked some up for his XDrive
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
SC300T26.00
      03-31-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Quote:
This is how she sat during the winter. you can easily set the coilovers to stock height. another great reason i went with coilovers because when i need to get service done at BMW i can just adjust my coilovers up so they don't have issues getting the car on the lift
That is perfect.... Huge range of adjustment. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good bye boat.

Quote:
I have the KW3s for a couple of months now. They will eliminate the 'boat' feel entirely.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
Alpine5x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

you could also go with CKS which is cheaper than the KWV3's. a member just recently picked some up for his XDrive
what body kit is that? is that for the non sport f10?

also that height is that stock height or higher than stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine5x View Post
what body kit is that? is that for the non sport f10?

also that height is that stock height or higher than stock?
it's the Carbon Fiber 3D style front spoiler for the Non M

the car looks like it has a bodykit but for the sides they are Carbon Fiber 3d style skirt extensions

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Alpine5x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine F10

damn bro looks good where can i get that in alpine white?
Appreciate 0