2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Anyone used theirs in snow/ice? With winter wheels?

11-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Hooplescat
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D SE

Anyone used theirs in snow/ice? With winter wheels?

Hi All

I have just bought a 2010 new GT 530D, and am largely loving the car

I want to know what the experience is in the snow - it feels like the car is going to be totally unmanageable when the bad weather comes. I have 20" wheels (not what I wanted, but the car I got a deal on had them on) and they drive ok, but am I going to need 18's with some knobbly winter tyres on, or is it going to be useless either way because of the heavy weight and rear wheel drive?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I can't say from experience on that car, but for peace of mind, I'd get some 18" wheels and snowtires. When combined with the TPS, it can get expensive, but worth it, I think. Don't know about where you live, but here, we end up with some potholes during and at the end of the winter season, and 20" wheels would not survive long.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

It's an interesting point the OP brings up. He's in the UK like I am and I guess he's thinking about last winter which was freakishly bad for us. We don't generally get really icy/snowy winters in England, if we do get some snow it's usually just for a day or two and the main roads are kept clear on the whole. Obviously there are always bad side roads and we can get unexpected downfalls like anywhere else. That said, how rear wheel drive cars handle ice and snow does concern me. In fact when I think about my new motor it's the only little worry I have in the back of my mind.

I'd like to hear other opinions on winter tyres too. I'm also wondering if putting a bit of weight over the rear axle can help. And I suppose socks are always an option http://www.autosock.co.uk/ A mate of mine used to live out in the Peak District and he swore by them.

:edit:

A quick look at the Autosock site and I could get front and rears for about £130

:edit:

Autosock don't seem to do a size for the rears of an M Sport. I read it incorrectly. However, Weissenfels WeissSock seems to have a larger selection.

Last edited by rich1068; 11-10-2010 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
E60toF07
Rep
Drives: E60Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooplescat View Post
Hi All

I have just bought a 2010 new GT 530D, and am largely loving the car

I want to know what the experience is in the snow - it feels like the car is going to be totally unmanageable when the bad weather comes. I have 20" wheels (not what I wanted, but the car I got a deal on had them on) and they drive ok, but am I going to need 18's with some knobbly winter tyres on, or is it going to be useless either way because of the heavy weight and rear wheel drive?

Thanks all
My answer: sure you must have winter tyres if you drives sometime and somewhere under temperature below....hmmmmm....+2C. And sure you may buy 18" or even non-original wheels. Once it may save your car or even your health.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Hooplescat
Rep

Rich is right, we don't usually have bad snowfall in the winter, and I am probably being extra sensitive about it because of the unusually heavy snow we had last year.

I have already bought front and rear socks from autosock. I figure the day I need them I will be REALLY glad I spent the money )

I suppose winter tyres can only be a good thing, and will be balanced up by the reduced wear on my usual tyres. I would just have no idea the best place to get a low cost set of 18" wheels and how to make sure they fit my massive car

I know that this time last year I was driving a 2008 330d Convertible. The damn thing would not go anywhere as soon as there was the slightest bit of snow on the road, and it spent half of january abandoned in various places near to where I live. This car feels like it will be an absolute nightmare in the ice and snow...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
and it spent half of january abandoned in various places near to where I live.
Ha! I remember that feeling... 'I'm going to make it, I'm going to make it, I'm going to make it........damn, no I'm not...'
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

All-season tires are a compromise all seasons. Rubber gets harder as it gets older and as it gets colder. If you're running summer tires, don't even think about using them when the weather gets colder, regardless of whether there is ice or snow around...they'll function not much better than slicks in the rain.

Worse comes to worse, the 'stock' wheels on the BMW GT are 18", so there should be at least a few available in that size that fit.

Unfortuneately, there aren't all that many run-flat snow tires that fit the GT, especially if you want to maintain at least a V-rated tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
Hooplescat
Rep

Rich..nice to see I am not the only one with the eternal optimism of the BMW driver

I hadn't really thought about the runflat issue. I have only ever driven cars on the size wheels and tyres it came with, so this is a bit new to me. If I am running the 275/35 on the rear and 245/40 on the front on 20's, is there some clever calculation that will tell me what size tyres I will need to run on 18" rims?

I am very tempted to buy a set. It will probably guarantee a fine and dry winter in the UK
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The owner's manual should list all tire sizes that will fit on the vehicle. The 'stock' suspension/wheel package on the GT is for 245/50-18 on all four wheels. I'm not sure if the sport suspension has larger brakes, but if not, then you may be able to use the same on all four. If it isn't in the manual, the dealer should easily be able to tell you what would fit.

Higher profile tires will ride softer, and will affect maximum dry road performance, but if the weather is bad, you couldn't use it anyway! Optimum snow tire use often calls for smaller tires, as wider ones tend to float on snow; narrower ones bite in.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
TobyT
BMW newbie
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2010 530d Gran Turismo

I'm looking into the same atm, and was quoted 2500 euros for a set of 18 inch wheels by BMW in Brussels. It's a bit to expenceive I think, so I been searching online to find alternatives. Dezent have 18 inch wheels for the GT that won't look too shabby, and I might just go for one of them:

Dezent RE and Dezent K
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
satijntje
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

But the wintertyres are expensive.
I paid 1440 Euro for 4 19 inch pirellis.
The wheels came from a F1 for a bargain Prise of 600.

So i was Ready for 2 k€!

John
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Rich..nice to see I am not the only one with the eternal optimism of the BMW driver

I hadn't really thought about the runflat issue. I have only ever driven cars on the size wheels and tyres it came with, so this is a bit new to me. If I am running the 275/35 on the rear and 245/40 on the front on 20's, is there some clever calculation that will tell me what size tyres I will need to run on 18" rims?

I am very tempted to buy a set. It will probably guarantee a fine and dry winter in the UK
The BMW F07 UK price list has 18" rims, style 250 with winter tryres for £2k, if you look at it on the basis you will saving wear on the 20" tyres which cost about £1200/set then you could argue that the 18" rims are costing you £800? What mileage have you got on the existing tyres and how have they worn? Like you I would prefer the 18 or 19" rims but most of the pre-reg cars with the right spec have the 316 rims. What deal did you get on yours?
Appreciate 0