2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Thinking of getting 530d

03-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i

Thinking of getting 530d

Hi guys I'm currently driving a e91 320d but on Monday I'm going to look at a 530d is there many things too look out for ??

It's a 2012 with 32k on the clock.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

good choice.
I have a 2012 530d Msport

A good balance between economy and performance. Fast if you want it to be (0-60 in 6.0s) and economical if need be.

I can't think of anything F10 specific to look out for , just the usual things when buying any car. With that mileage it should be in very good condition.

Others on these forums praise the 535d, I've not driven one my self though.
Adaptive drive also gets good reviews here (again no experience from me) but I think these are quite rare cars due to their initial cost.

If you can , get one with lots of options on as it makes it that bit more special, as you're buying used, the big hit on depreciation has passed so a car loaded up shouldn't be much I wouldn't have thought?
Easy to get carried away but HUD is a very worthwhile option if fitted (again seems quite rare in the UK from personal observations)

you don't mention if it is SE or Msport.
Ride on 19 inch wheels with MSport (non adaptive) can certainly highlight how bad the roads are - depend where your priority is , sporty or comfort.

IMHO a better choice than the 520d (plenty of those around), the engine is smoother and its just so effortless.

Good luck and of course post pictures when you get one that you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi and thanks for the info its a M sport .

its got a few options i think i did ask for a build list from the dealers but not received it yet.

i would love a 535 but the out right cost i cant justify. But as you say there like hens teeth.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Get the VIN number, Google for BMW VIN checker and you can find out the full build spec.
Think about getting a decent warranty, these things are not cheap to fix if they do go wrong.
I've owned a 535d a 530 and a 520. The biggest distinction is going from the 4 cylinder to the 6 cylinder, so you're on the right track. Auto miles better than manual box. The manual is reported to lose reverse and this is apparently a gearbox replacement job.
As for options, all down to personal taste, and what you've never had you won't miss.
Good luck, hope you get a good one
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

yea i will be checking and asking about warranty.

Media package - BMW Professional, 19" M Double-spoke style 351M alloy wheels, Loudspeaker system - BMW Advanced, Sport automatic transmission, Fineline Anthracite wood, Visibility package, Exterior mirrors - folding & auto dimming, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Imperial Blue,

Thats all thats listed so i will need to check once im there.

anyone knnow what package you are able to stream from am ipod classic via usb ??
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

USB used to be an option and I don't know if or when it became OE, so double check that the car has one, it can be very expensive to retro fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok thanks I will give the dealership a ring sat afternoon once I wake up the joys of nights. Might ask if they will do a refundable hold payment just incase.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

If you have the registration and the car is not under warrantee then we can find the vin and therefore the spec. If you want I can have a look and let you know whether this will work and if so what the spec is.

I have adaptive drive on my 7 series and for long journeys I find he comfort mode makes a large difference.

If you can get the active steering I've found this to be great option. Lock to lock is only 2 revolutions of the steering wheel and it means the car will work out how much lock will be given dependent on your speed. It also stiffens up the steering at higher speeds which I find useful too.

The other option would have liked but didn't find was active cruise control where the car follows the speed of the car in front. My old man spec'd it on his Volvo and it it really nifty.

I forget the name of them but the active lights that seeks other road users and blocks the light out for a portion of the road is a great bit of tech too.

Last but not least is comfort seats. They move in so many ways you'll be sure to find a comfortable position. I suffer from arthritis and have done since I was 10 and have never found a seat as comfortable as this.

You're unlikely to find all of this on one car but these would be my have options for the next car!

I hope it's a good one when you view.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ200 View Post
yea i will be checking and asking about warranty.

Media package - BMW Professional, 19" M Double-spoke style 351M alloy wheels, Loudspeaker system - BMW Advanced, Sport automatic transmission, Fineline Anthracite wood, Visibility package, Exterior mirrors - folding & auto dimming, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Imperial Blue,

Thats all thats listed so i will need to check once im there.

anyone knnow what package you are able to stream from am ipod classic via usb ??
Good to see it has the Advanced speakers, the standard stereo is worse than the standard one you get on a Ford Ka.

Check in the centre console for the USB; take a USB stick along with some music on it to test it works.

On pre-LCi (so pre ~Aug 2013) if you want BT streaming you'll need to ensure Enhanced BT is included in the build spec.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
On pre-LCi (so pre ~Aug 2013) if you want BT streaming you'll need to ensure Enhanced BT is included in the build spec.
Not as simple as that. My LCI doesn't have BT streaming.

Good advice to actually test anything that is a "must have".
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Great car, I love mine although I would have had a 35d if I could have found one.

Basic must have options for me are;

EBT
19" wheels
Sun protection glass
Folding rear seats
Pro sat nav
Harmon Kardon sound

However everyone has their own priorities...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for the info guys had a quick chat today with dealership there not sure on streaming but it have Bluetooth for phone.

But I'm ok with out Bluetooth for streaming as it has the 20g had to store music on so that might be better.

Only thing it's missing which I would like is dab does anyone know if it's possible to get this retro fitted I know on the e90 post makkan did some retro fitting so might ask him.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #13
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If you are coming from an E90 be very careful in the first few weeks. The F10 is significantly wider. I came from an E90 and managed to kerb a wheel on day 2. I didn't even feel like it was particularly tight until I felt the crunch. I cried myself to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Don't worry too much about the ride on 19's with M-sport suspension. If it bugs you, you can always (i) switch to non-runflats and/or (ii) pick up a set of 17s or 18s on ebay for sensible money (if you're not too fussed about the look).

I have run 2 x 535d's both with AD, and have driven others without AD. I have run my cars on 19" and 18" RFTs and on 19", 18" and 17" non-RFTs.

Honestly, if I was buying used now, I would be willing to settle for passive M-sport suspension if I found a car with everything I wanted except AD, but I would always ditch the runflats.

The F10 suffers 3 separate flaws:
- poor body control with passive SE suspension, not such an issue with passive M-sport suspension or AD;
- poor ride quality, which is due to the greater weight of RFTs and their inability to absorb fast impacts from cats' eyes, ruts etc and is only slightly masked by any softer suspension settings. This is 90% of the reason why an M5 rides better than most 520d M-sports;
- slightly numb or unnatural steering feel, which seems to vary from car to car, tyre to tyre, suspension type to suspension type.

It's a contentious topic (!) but I can only give my view based on my experience. HTH
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Don't worry too much about the ride on 19's with M-sport suspension. If it bugs you, you can always (i) switch to non-runflats and/or (ii) pick up a set of 17s or 18s on ebay for sensible money (if you're not too fussed about the look).

I have run 2 x 535d's both with AD, and have driven others without AD. I have run my cars on 19" and 18" RFTs and on 19", 18" and 17" non-RFTs.

Honestly, if I was buying used now, I would be willing to settle for passive M-sport suspension if I found a car with everything I wanted except AD, but I would always ditch the runflats.

The F10 suffers 3 separate flaws:
- poor body control with passive SE suspension, not such an issue with passive M-sport suspension or AD;
- poor ride quality, which is due to the greater weight of RFTs and their inability to absorb fast impacts from cats' eyes, ruts etc and is only slightly masked by any softer suspension settings. This is 90% of the reason why an M5 rides better than most 520d M-sports;
- slightly numb or unnatural steering feel, which seems to vary from car to car, tyre to tyre, suspension type to suspension type.

It's a contentious topic (!) but I can only give my view based on my experience. HTH

Thanks for the info im not particularly bothered about the 19's and run flats i have that now with the E91 all though not as wide or heavy.

i spoke to the dealer today it does have usb in center so should play from that but knowing it has 20g HDD prob wont use as all music will be on that. i did find out though it didnt have DAB but im sure that can be retro fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:30 AM   #16
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info im not particularly bothered about the 19's and run flats i have that now with the E91 all though not as wide or heavy.

i spoke to the dealer today it does have usb in center so should play from that but knowing it has 20g HDD prob wont use as all music will be on that. i did find out though it didnt have DAB but im sure that can be retro fitted.
It can be retro fitted but it won't be integrated in the iDrive menu, more of a bolt on separate unit.

Integration required a completely updated iDrive which fitted costs stupid money.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:51 AM   #17
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well just my luck went down to try it went out for test drive got back talking about costs etc and it was sold via another agent...

But it did open my eyes to what else I can afford so went out in a 430d grand coupe and I'm now having that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
Russ200
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well just my luck the 430 was at another dealer in the group and was listed as for sale still on monday paid deposit so it's mine. they went to collect it in a low loader only to be told that was also sold but the dealer hadn't listed it as sold. So now I'm waiting for a reply on what they will offer me as that's The only one I liked so might get a good discount on something now if it's the right spec.

They have 2 days to find me something as mine has sold and been paid for. Luckily I know the buyer of mine who is willing to wait for a while but too long.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well just my luck......
Just my opinion but that luck may not be bad. A 4-series isn't really in the same league as a 5 if you want a refined saloon.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #20
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Just my opinion but that luck may not be bad. A 4-series isn't really in the same league as a 5 if you want a refined saloon.
I'd agree with that. 4 Series is a pretty body, but the interior and feel of it isn't as nice as the 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:48 AM   #21
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

I had a 4 series GC and it was a completely different car to the 5er. The 5 is much more refined despite having the same engine and the inside has a much more premium feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:18 AM   #22
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Well just my luck the 430 was at another dealer in the group and was listed as for sale still on monday paid deposit so it's mine. they went to collect it in a low loader only to be told that was also sold but the dealer hadn't listed it as sold. So now I'm waiting for a reply on what they will offer me as that's The only one I liked so might get a good discount on something now if it's the right spec.

They have 2 days to find me something as mine has sold and been paid for. Luckily I know the buyer of mine who is willing to wait for a while but too long.
Why the affinity to this particular dealer? There are so many F10's for sale out there, get your money back and go directly to the dealers with the car you want in stock rather than source through your current dealer. You will get a better deal this way...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0