2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Off Topic: Audi R8 V10 Delivery Day

08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I opened the door and told him to have a seat inside (he was trying to look through the window)... he was like, "really?? I can sit in it?" It put a giant smile on his face, and he thanked me upside and down (called me "sir" like I was some old dude!).
ezmaass, It is refreshing to see that not all owners of expensive cars are self centered. Most owners of super cars would not give young admirers the time of day, or maybe it just happens to them all the time that they are tired of it.

Last edited by The X Men; 08-26-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
ezmaass, It is refreshing to see that not all owners of expensive cars are self centered. Most owners of super cars would not give young admirers the time of day, or maybe it just happens to them all the time that they are tired of it.
I think there are plenty of guys who own nice cars who buy them as a status symbol of sorts and can hardly tell you the first thing about the car - be it something exotic like a Ferrari or just a nice luxury car like our BMWs. I think they tend to be the ones who act like pricks if someone approaches them. Then you have the guys who you meet at car events, on forums like this, and at other places where "car people" tend to congregate... and my experience is they're plenty happy to share the car with you. I aim to be the latter, as I'm pretty sure most people on this board would be - people who just like talking about cars because they enjoy them.

Like I said, I feel very fortunate that things have worked out for me in life to buy a "toy" like this. And like telling someone about a good movie you've seen or a restaurant you've discovered, this car just makes you want to share the experience with people.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

You're this forum's new role model. There definitely aren't many people as humble as you.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #26
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats, can't even imagine how it's driving a car like that.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Congrats, can't even imagine how it's driving a car like that.
Thanks - I wouldn't even want to know what it would cost in Norway, Rem!

They have performance driving schools and even exotic rentals here in the US - do they do anything like that in Norway? A friend of mine who was thinking about buying a 458 decided to rent one for a weekend to see if he really liked it. I think the better option would be to go to a performance driving class where you can both drive it and also get the experience of pushing it to the limit. My dealer recommended doing it since you really can't ever experience the "full" car on public roads. I've thought about doing the BMW one in South Carolina here in the US, as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #28
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Isn't it crazy how a car can just bring random people together into a conversation?? It happens to me all the time throughout my years of owning "modded up" cars where I find myself just chatting away with strangers coming up to me at a gas station, car wash, grocery store parking lot, car meets etc...

I think some start up and revving videos are in order so we can get a little taste of your beautiful R8!

Alan
      08-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Isn't it crazy how a car can just bring random people together into a conversation?? It happens to me all the time throughout my years of owning "modded up" cars where I find myself just chatting away with strangers coming up to me at a gas station, car wash, grocery store parking lot, car meets etc...

I think some start up and revving videos are in order so we can get a little taste of your beautiful R8!

Alan
I agree, it's a pretty neat thing. I'll admit, I've approached a few people randomly in the past too! Like I said, my experience has been that you can tell pretty quickly who the real "enthusiasts" are... because they don't need an excuse to talk to you about cars. They just honestly want to share what they know, what they've seen, experienced, etc.

I'll try to get some video clips of the start-up, exhaust, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #30
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #31
remmib
General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - I wouldn't even want to know what it would cost in Norway, Rem!

They have performance driving schools and even exotic rentals here in the US - do they do anything like that in Norway? A friend of mine who was thinking about buying a 458 decided to rent one for a weekend to see if he really liked it. I think the better option would be to go to a performance driving class where you can both drive it and also get the experience of pushing it to the limit. My dealer recommended doing it since you really can't ever experience the "full" car on public roads. I've thought about doing the BMW one in South Carolina here in the US, as well.
About $400k depending how expensive the options are, didn't check that.
As far as I know there's no place to rent car like that her in Norway.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #32
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
OMG Is it being done to protect ecology or to save other people's ego? What is the official purpose of these taxes, if any?

For ecology I don't quite understand, because there are Euro5 standards and turbos and cats and electronics, etc. For ego I believe it is emotionally understood but looks like government just takes a pound of your flesh if you step away from riding a tram or a Toyota Prius.

I saw a similar situation in India where the owners pay luxury tax almost equal to the original cost of a car. When you see a Lambo parked in front of DLS Emporio Mall in New Delhi, you cannot hold a smile: if the guy was wealthy enough (or crazy) to pay twice for that ride, what kind of space shuttle could he run in for example US, Germany, or UK
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #33
remmib
General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery.BMW View Post
OMG Is it being done to protect ecology or to save other people's ego? What is the official purpose of these taxes, if any?

For ecology I don't quite understand, because there are Euro5 standards and turbos and cats and electronics, etc. For ego I believe it is emotionally understood but looks like government just takes a pound of your flesh if you step away from riding a tram or a Toyota Prius.

I saw a similar situation in India where the owners pay luxury tax almost equal to the original cost of a car. When you see a Lambo parked in front of DLS Emporio Mall in New Delhi, you cannot hold a smile: if the guy was wealthy enough (or crazy) to pay twice for that ride, what kind of space shuttle could he run in for example US, Germany, or UK
I think the tax on car in Norway dates back to the 50s and 60s when cars was a luxury item, and since Norway didn't have an automotive industry, it was easy to tax.

On a side note the opposite is the case with electric cars in Norway. A company started to make electric cars here in Norway in the 90s, so the goverment basicly said no tax on electric cars and also gave other incentives to help that company sell environmentally friendly EV cars. So now Norway is the 2nd or 3rd largest marked for the Tesla...

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #34
Soft
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A7 3.0 TSFI

Quote:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/obj...ckthrough=true
http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/obj...ckthrough=true
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #35
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Great car dude. Congratulations!! I work as a Senior Engineer/Architect hopefully get up to your level and become an exec. and get on the money route. I'm over 100 but needa be over 200/300 to buy fun cars as such haha. Keep working hard.
Quote:
Thank you! I went around in circles a bit on what to get - considered everything from Ferrari, Aston, Lamborghini... the usual suspects. The R8 was just the best of all options... power plant of the Lambo, German engineering, compliant ride for driving whenever/wherever you want like a GT car, etc.

As for what I do for a living, no problem - I'm an executive at a software company. And no, I'm not some crotchety old guy - I'm in my 30's. I've just been fortunate enough to really love what I do, and it allows me to work my butt off while enjoying it and making money.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #36
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Congrats on the beautiful pickup. I agree with most of the comments about the wheels being a bit flashy. Otherwise it gets two thumbs up in my book. When the day comes that I can afford a toy, it will probably be a P-car, as I have dreamed of having one my entire life. Hopefully I can make that happen sometime in my 40's. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Looks amazing, congratulation, well done.

Yes, wheels are flashy, but, it's not just wheels, everything about this car is flashy (kinda the whole point isn't it, performance aside, buying something like this is supposed to be flashy in my opinion ).

Off to complete my code reviews and design specs now... who knows, if I try harder and kids decide they don't need university education.....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think the tax on car in Norway dates back to the 50s and 60s when cars was a luxury item, and since Norway didn't have an automotive industry, it was easy to tax.

On a side note the opposite is the case with electric cars in Norway. A company started to make electric cars here in Norway in the 90s, so the goverment basicly said no tax on electric cars and also gave other incentives to help that company sell environmentally friendly EV cars. So now Norway is the 2nd or 3rd largest marked for the Tesla...
OK got it, thanks. Well, what is interesting here, ezmaas tells us about classic principle of building own garage: "one car is a daily driver, another one is a dream". Great to see, both cars are perfect and fit well the purpose.

I've been in your country by business, and it is great and incredibly clean place. This worth to be protected by any measures, and then your family and children live in a clean world.

But I never met a person who wants Tesla as a dream car. Besides of being a "futuristic role model", it is IMO still an electric cart, like the ones from "Tron: Legacy". Yesterday I saw its "step-sister" BMW i8 at the national car show. At the cost starting from 280k USD (before regular taxes) you see another cart with 5-series interior and factory sealed front hood to protect the careless owner from hazardous high voltage electric circuits... May be I am too conservative, but you should be born with it to want or accept it.

The V8 and V10 will be always a dream.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #39
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I think there are plenty of guys who own nice cars who buy them as a status symbol of sorts and can hardly tell you the first thing about the car - be it something exotic like a Ferrari or just a nice luxury car like our BMWs. I think they tend to be the ones who act like pricks if someone approaches them. Then you have the guys who you meet at car events, on forums like this, and at other places where "car people" tend to congregate... and my experience is they're plenty happy to share the car with you. I aim to be the latter, as I'm pretty sure most people on this board would be - people who just like talking about cars because they enjoy them.
I find that most guys who own classic cars, custom cars or hot rods like to talk about their cars and share their experience. Most exotic car owners on the other hand wouldn't give you the time of day especially if your car is not in the same class.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #40
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Great car dude. Congratulations!! I work as a Senior Engineer/Architect hopefully get up to your level and become an exec. and get on the money route. I'm over 100 but needa be over 200/300 to buy fun cars as such haha. Keep working hard.
Engineering is the right path, for sure. Early on, though, I realized that the guy in the corner office wasn't coding or editing Visio diagrams. For all but the brightest wizards, there's a glass ceiling - albeit a nice 6-figure one - in engineering. The real money is made going into management. And the real money there is made taking responsibility for something that makes money for the company - services and/or products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Congrats on the beautiful pickup. I agree with most of the comments about the wheels being a bit flashy. Otherwise it gets two thumbs up in my book. When the day comes that I can afford a toy, it will probably be a P-car, as I have dreamed of having one my entire life. Hopefully I can make that happen sometime in my 40's. lol
Yeah, the wheels are a bit flashy... it's a polished alloy (not as crazy as chrome, which is just super-bling). It's working for me now, but I may swap them to something else down the road. I'm sure you'll make the P-car happen when the time is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Looks amazing, congratulation, well done.

Yes, wheels are flashy, but, it's not just wheels, everything about this car is flashy (kinda the whole point isn't it, performance aside, buying something like this is supposed to be flashy in my opinion ).

Off to complete my code reviews and design specs now... who knows, if I try harder and kids decide they don't need university education.....
Seems there are a bunch of SW guys around here... good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I find that most guys who own classic cars, custom cars or hot rods like to talk about their cars and share their experience. Most exotic car owners on the other hand wouldn't give you the time of day especially if your car is not in the same class.
You're probably right. Some people let stuff go to their head, and they forget they're just mortal like everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #41
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Great advice!! I'll keep those tips in mind. Congrats once again!!
[QUOTE=ezmaass;16556161]Engineering is the right path, for sure. Early on, though, I realized that the guy in the corner office wasn't coding or editing Visio diagrams. For all but the brightest wizards, there's a glass ceiling - albeit a nice 6-figure one - in engineering. The real money is made going into management. And the real money there is made taking responsibility for something that makes money for the company - services and/or products.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #42
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK got it, thanks. Well, what is interesting here, ezmaas tells us about classic principle of building own garage: "one car is a daily driver, another one is a dream". Great to see, both cars are perfect and fit well the purpose.
My "ideal" garage always had three dedicated cars - an SUV, a sedan, and a sports car. Back in the day, I thought the SUV should be a Land Rover. After owning one, the poor reliability turned me off (despite being a massively capable tank). Now the SUV in my garage is a Q5. The sports car was a Ferrari. But again, after looking into it and doing my homework, I decided it wouldn't be as practical or reliable as I wanted... hence now it's the R8. The BMW is the only one that stayed constant - the 5-series is the "perfect" sports sedan... not too small, not too large, plenty of luxury, and killer looks that have remained timeless.

It's clearly a luxury to have dedicated cars (which I'm grateful for now), but back in the day I scratched my itch with just one car - a BMW 3-series - and it was the perfect solution... 4 doors to carry people, plenty tossable and sporty, and just a wee bit of utility if you wanted with xDrive (although I always opted for RWD until my current 5).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #43
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My "ideal" garage always had three dedicated cars - an SUV, a sedan, and a sports car.
This is something I unconditionally agree with. Same about the cars, wise and totally agree... but ezmaas, let's dream and let me play devil's advocate: what could be your fourth car?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #44
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
This is something I unconditionally agree with. Same about the cars, wise and totally agree... but ezmaas, let's dream and let me play devil's advocate: what could be your fourth car?
I know I'm not ezmaass but I would have a track day dedicated car (e.g. an Ariel Atom/BAC Mono/Caterham rXXX/Radical SR8). Perhaps a truck and a trailer (or just a trailer if the SUV has the towing capacity) for the car as well.
Appreciate 0