2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum So I got the dreaded 'Drivetrain' warning...

07-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

So I got the dreaded 'Drivetrain' warning...

Over the last few days, I've notice a bit of a hesitation on mid to hard acceleration. Nothing really significant but, when you own the car, things like that are noticeable. I figured...at 60k miles...it may be time to change the plugs.

So I take a trip, yesterday, from Atlanta to Spartanburg. Around 150 miles. I notice it, again, when I'm passing slower traffic on the interstate. No big deal...just annoying as the car isn't accelerating seamlessly. When I get home, off my exit, i notice it again. So, I decide to really get on it and see if it's just my imagination or if it show itself more prominently in the upper rev range.

Shift to manual mode....go easy through 1st...and lay into it in 2nd. By the time I get to around 6 grand, the engine stumbles all over itself and the revs fall, precipitously. And then the light comes on in the dash and the info system says 'drivetrain malfunction'. Shit...

Luckily, I was a 1/4 mile from the crib and baby the car home. As I park it, the engine is sputtering and bucking. Great. Thank god I bought a warranty. But, of course, I'm still concerned about my baby.

Start it up about 20 mins later and all is good. No light. No warning on info screen. She's purring. But I'm still stressed.

I'll drop her off at my mechanic (United is the only dealership in the A that doesn't accept the Route 66 coverage. Go figure. Smh) and have them take a look. Has anyone else experienced this? I know...having a pre-TU...is rolling the dice. Which is why I was so adamant about getting coverage.

I guess I just wanna know what to expect the shop to tell me after they diagnose it, tomorrow. Thanx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
exred
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535ix

Could be several different things need to scan the car for codes, could be fuel related like low pressure fuel sensor or high pressure fuel pump, if its the pump then its covered by BMW I think up to 120K miles. Could be fuel injectors, spark plugs or coils, I've seen valvetroics would make rough idle too So its just guesses right now need to scan it, good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Got the same about 2 months ago,
(no engine or throttle malfunctions though)
turned out to be the thermostat, under warranty, dealer fixed free -nothing since
I had the water pump replaced a couple months before that =cooling fan coming on too often was the clue for that one=
interesting how the same drive train malfunction warning covers such a wide array, im guessing its anything that can
potentially disable the vehicle triggers the message
2014 328i
2012 535i

Last edited by corys530; 07-22-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by exred View Post
Could be several different things need to scan the car for codes, could be fuel related like low pressure fuel sensor or high pressure fuel pump, if its the pump then its covered by BMW I think up to 120K miles. Could be fuel injectors, spark plugs or coils, I've seen valvetroics would make rough idle too So its just guesses right now need to scan it, good luck to you.
She's fixed!!!

There was a problem with the fuel pump that caused a misfire on Bank 1. They changed it out and planned on putting new plugs in but the warranty wouldn't pay for em (wear and tear item but there's proof of damage because of the pump? Go figure &#128530. I decided that I'll just change all 8 as she's due, with 61K on the clock.

Just trying to decide whether to go with a colder wet as I'm eyeing the JB4 piggyback to supplement my Dinan flash. Also...trying to figure out how to determine what constitutes a 'colder' plug.

Thanx for the responses, fellas.
Appreciate 0