2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Counting down.....

03-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #133
hodgy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 520d

Looks awesome Balster, I'm sure you've put it to good use over the weekend! I'll keep my eye out for it in the car park!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #134
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

That looks stunning mate. Nice one. A great colour combo. Bet you have been out already this morning. Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #135
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo9 View Post
That looks stunning mate. Nice one. A great colour combo. Bet you have been out already this morning. Enjoy!!
I've just woken up! I couldn't sleep last night because every sound I heard outside I though someone was trying to steal it.
Going out for a long drive at 12 with the Wife - she said yestedarday, drive slowly

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #136
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
I've just woken up! I couldn't sleep last night because every sound I heard outside I though someone was trying to steal it.
Going out for a long drive at 12 with the Wife - she said yestedarday, drive slowly
You need to upgrade to the same security system as we have. I sleep soundly.

Enjoy the drive today. Looks like it might stay dry!

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #137
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

We went for a great drive today and for once I was asking my Wife how some of the media options worked(she has been getting to know it more than me).

Great car, quick and feels solid. Some of the imperfections on the road could be felt though, but not do discerning.
Adaptive cruise control is 1st class.
Tried out the traffic jam assist on a traffic jam on the M1- brilliant
Adaptive lights - awesome.
Turns into corners beautifully.
The MFD is incredible - does it turn red at night time, does for me?
Auto Hold assist - needs to be on all of the time.
The 2.0d engine is perfect for us, good combination of all the relevant factors of everyday car use.
The HUD in combination with the speed limit display is one of the best safety features on a car and should be standard on all cars built.
Feeling very confident when driving the car.
HK sound system in out of this world, past Jupiter and heading into the distant parts of our Solar System good.
Everyone looks and points - must be the colour
The neighbours have stopped talking to us green eyes of envy!

Hud seems a bit bare though, what options to be shown can be coded for it?
Off to see our resident coder in the South at Easter - gspannu , getting a list ready.

In short, the car is a technological masterpiece. Well done BMW.

More to follow as I drive it. Day off tomorrow, another familiarisation day .

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #138
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Balster

Car looks very nice. Congratulations and glad you are pleased with your choice.

HUD doesn't show a lot but whilst I wouldn't have specced it - I bought the showroom car - I'm pleased I've got it. Very helpful that the Sat Nav directions are there straight in front of you so you don't have to keep looking to the side.
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #139
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Speaking to the salesman(nice honest guy) about coding and his words were, coding will invalidate the warranty. So no coding for me I'm afraid.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #140
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Superb looking car, enjoy
      03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #141
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Speaking to the salesman(nice honest guy) about coding and his words were, coding will invalidate the warranty. So no coding for me I'm afraid.
I did wonder that, me neither
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #142
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Quote:
Speaking to the salesman(nice honest guy) about coding and his words were, coding will invalidate the warranty.

So no coding for me I'm afraid.
He's trying to protect the Service Depts revenues - they will do Coding @ circa £120 per hour - actually quoted me £200 to change the ASS default... no way are they gonna invalidate yer warranty for changing the angle of dip of a door mirror, or turning on rear lights with DRL ....

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #143
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Just a quick first post to say hello and thank you to Balster for this entertaining thread.

I'm (hopefully) going to collect a 2011 F11 525d M-Sport in Sophisto Grey tomorrow and doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight, lord only knows what it must be like to order a new one then sit and wait. Either way I suspect I'll have a few questions over the next few weeks so happy to have found this forum with likeminded enthusiasts.

I've been wanting a 5-series for about 20 years now and doubt I would have managed to maintain a BMW fact-a-day during that period!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #144
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Quote:
Here it is D Day minus 1.
Photo emailed to me from the dealer.
Dealer gets my vote just for doing that!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #145
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
Just a quick first post to say hello and thank you to Balster for this entertaining thread.

I'm (hopefully) going to collect a 2011 F11 525d M-Sport in Sophisto Grey tomorrow and doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight, lord only knows what it must be like to order a new one then sit and wait. Either way I suspect I'll have a few questions over the next few weeks so happy to have found this forum with likeminded enthusiasts.

I've been wanting a 5-series for about 20 years now and doubt I would have managed to maintain a BMW fact-a-day during that period!
Welcome and good luck with the collection. A short lead in time to Balster!!. Get some pics uploaded.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #146
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo9 View Post
Welcome and good luck with the collection. A short lead in time to Balster!!. Get some pics uploaded.
Got my car today! I was in the fortunate position that the dealer is 90 miles from my house, so already clocked up some decent time behind the wheel. If it ever stops raining I'll upload some pics (and maybe get to take advantage of the panoramic sunroof...).

Found a parking spot right opposite my flat. By the time I'd got up the stairs and looked out the window someone had parked their 7-series right behind mine, which kinda ruined my evening!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #147
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Got my car today! I was in the fortunate position that the dealer is 90 miles from my house, so already clocked up some decent time behind the wheel. If it ever stops raining I'll upload some pics (and maybe get to take advantage of the panoramic sunroof...).

Found a parking spot right opposite my flat. By the time I'd got up the stairs and looked out the window someone had parked their 7-series right behind mine, which kinda ruined my evening!
A big hearty congratulations. Damn those small coaches

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #148
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I had the Sat-Nav handover today - brilliant bit of kit. Zooms down to 12yds on the view brilliant. I also like the concierge functionality and map integration makes life so much easier. The map directions on the HUD are incredible - integrated with the voice control ....wow.
oh, did I mention that the active cruise control & traffic jam assist is out of this world, well worth the money.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #149
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Fantastic news, congrats, look forward to your pictures when you can
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #150
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had the Sat-Nav handover today - brilliant bit of kit. Zooms down to 12yds on the view brilliant. I also like the concierge functionality and map integration makes life so much easier. The map directions on the HUD are incredible - integrated with the voice control ....wow.
oh, did I mention that the active cruise control & traffic jam assist is out of this world, well worth the money.
These cars are a real tech fest now! The voice control is fantastic, never used it in my E60, and use it completely in the F10 as it "reliably works".
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #151
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Quote:
Hey Balster,

What is the traffic jam assist? Does it actually turn the steeing wheel for you at low speeds? I thought I saw that in an advert but am not sure I've understood it correctly....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #152
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocky Wilson View Post
Hey Balster,

What is the traffic jam assist? Does it actually turn the steeing wheel for you at low speeds? I thought I saw that in an advert but am not sure I've understood it correctly....
Spot on Jock. The car steers itself up to 25mph, comes to a complete standstill and sets off again maintaining a pre-set distance from the car in front.
The auto steering bit threw me for the first few times, but I've now got used to it - I just don't rely upon it.
On another note, I drive in the city with the active cruise control sensors on and on the way home today, I was behind a lady in a Range Rover. She turned into a street sharply, but slowly, my car slammed the brakes on and stopped a potential collision because it sensed the silly moo in front.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #153
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Got a call from my dealer today to say that my new car has arrived and will be ready for pickup on Wednesday. I'm a very happy bunny about this as I thought it would be at least a week longer than that if not more....

The next few days are going to pass rather slowly now I think
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #154
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Congrats Balster, looks very nice indeed!
Appreciate 0