2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 VS G30 Exterior (Personal Opinion)

06-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
Dank28i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Hi Guys, I've had my F10 for about 5 years now and absolutely love how the car looks. Mine is the non-Msport version and I like the subtle look. I've had the chance to view a few G30's in person and no matter how I look at it I can't seem to like it!

The front is fine...I actually kind of like it but the hood is wayyy too plain compared to the F10's bulging creases.

On the side...okay here I really don't know what's going on. At the first look the side looks very similar to the F10 but look closer and something about it is just weird. I think the side is too flat compared to the rounded sides in F10. Not sure but I much prefer the F10.

Rear....the rear end literally looks like the new Honda city! Even the rear quarter panel is way too stretched out and the light are huge! I did notice that it looks wider than the f10.

F10 is just so perfect, I don't blame the designers for not being able to beat it.
the f10's design is a throwback to the days of the e34 and I am so glad BMW came back to it after the funny looking e60.

I am obviously biased toward the f10, but I am not the only one to think that the f10 does in fact look better then the new g30. I love the interior of the new model, but the exterior looks funny to me. I havent warmed up to it.

I agree with what you said. the f10 already took all of bmw's big body sedan styling cues (new and old) and blended it into one amazingly satisfying modern package. it is a GREAT looking car and no further improvements could have possibly been made to the design, which is why the g30 looks the same but with gimmicky futuristic cues that simply make it look silly by this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #24
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I think an LCI F10 M5 is the ultimate buy right now. The G30 is horrendous and the F10 is truly the last of any sportiness with the 5 series.
Appreciate 2
Mr.blue223.00
S1ammin44.00
      06-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #25
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Wow! I thought it was just me that didn't get the looks of the new 5series. I really want to like it but it just looks so plain, almost Camry like. I was really excited about trading my F-10 for a new model mostly for the interior features and design but I don't know now. I've been talking to a dealer by phone and email and he informed me that he had just gotten a new 540i Msport in carbon black and that I should come and see it. Well it was on a Sunday when I finally got around to it and I was glad he wasn't there once I saw it in person. I might just go for a used M5 if the price is right. Maybe 15 or 16 year model. I still get so many looks in my 535i Msport, especially when it clean. Any advice on buying a used M5?
      06-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #26
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I am no longer an F10 owner but currently a G30 owner. Whilst not saying G30 is superior to F10 in all departments, I disagree with majority of the previous posts. The G30 is sharper in exterior appearance especially from the back and side views. If you have an F10 and G30 side by side without plate numbers. There is no mistaken that G30 is the more modern version.

The interior is way more luxurious than F10. The technology is way ahead F10. The driving dynamics are far better with no turbo lag and sharper steering.

Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #27
deadspoogi
Private
Rep
Drives: is250 lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
I am no longer an F10 owner but currently a G30 owner. Whilst not saying G30 is superior to F10 in all departments, I disagree with majority of the previous posts. The G30 is sharper in exterior appearance especially from the back and side views. If you have an F10 and G30 side by side without plate numbers. There is no mistaken that G30 is the more modern version.

The interior is way more luxurious than F10. The technology is way ahead F10. The driving dynamics are far better with no turbo lag and sharper steering.

Just my opinion
Quote:

Just my opinion

Car looks hideous imo
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #28
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspoogi View Post
Quote:

Just my opinion
Quote:

Just my opinion

Car looks hideous imo
Well maybe people on F10 forums should check G30 Forum esp video, build section and see pictures of beautiful G30s
      06-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #29
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Well maybe people on F10 forums should check G30 Forum esp video, build section and see pictures of beautiful G30s
Don't worry, it is always the ones that do not own something that complain about it. This happens every time a new model comes out. People who own the older model always prefer it to the new one...until they buy the new one. It always happens! I personally think the G30 is a great evolution to the F10.
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00
      06-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Don't worry, it is always the ones that do not own something that complain about it. This happens every time a new model comes out. People who own the older model always prefer it to the new one...until they buy the new one. It always happens! I personally think the G30 is a great evolution to the F10.
I too agree it's a evolution and don't see a whole lot wrong with it, more modern but slightly less sporty/aggressive looking vehicle in my opinion.

I checked one in great detail inside and out, but haven't driven one yet.
Talking to the guy at the dealership I know very well, he said that they are pretty comparable, but that in his opinion the biggest improvement with G30 was entry level engine, he said the difference is quite significant.

Quote:

Just my opinion
Of course technology is superior, it's 7+ year newer model, I mean forgive me but "d'oh, tech is better in 2017 comparing to 2010".
If it wasn't better everybody, and I mean everybody associated with G30 should just be fired.

On ride, I cannot comment as I haven't compared but many reviews out there don't seem to agree with your opinion.

What in your opinion makes interior more luxurious ?
I personally thought it was somewhat comparable, but didn't think it was "more luxurious", and reading a bit more in G30 forum, seems that there are few things on the interior fit and finish where cheaper materials might've been used comparing to F10. Again, not saying you're right or wrong, not hating on G30, I thought it looks pretty good inside and out, just curious what makes it more luxurious for you ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #31
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I too agree it's a evolution and don't see a whole lot wrong with it, more modern but slightly less sporty/aggressive looking vehicle in my opinion.

I checked one in great detail inside and out, but haven't driven one yet.
Talking to the guy at the dealership I know very well, he said that they are pretty comparable, but that in his opinion the biggest improvement with G30 was entry level engine, he said the difference is quite significant.

Of course technology is superior, it's 7+ year newer model, I mean forgive me but "d'oh, tech is better in 2017 comparing to 2010".
If it wasn't better everybody, and I mean everybody associated with G30 should just be fired.

On ride, I cannot comment as I haven't compared but many reviews out there don't seem to agree with your opinion.

What in your opinion makes interior more luxurious ?
I personally thought it was somewhat comparable, but didn't think it was "more luxurious", and reading a bit more in G30 forum, seems that there are few things on the interior fit and finish where cheaper materials might've been used comparing to F10. Again, not saying you're right or wrong, not hating on G30, I thought it looks pretty good inside and out, just curious what makes it more luxurious for you ?
The standard sport seat looks and feels better; and more cushy and firmer.
The ambient lighting, the multifunction display, the sensatech etc.The car glides over potholes with standard M Sport suspension. Of curse the only let down is the sunglass compartment without any lining. The black central board do not have individual buttons but makes G30 looks more modern

Don't forget on just how luxurious the standard G30 520SE is, it won WhatCar luxurious car of the year (that is in comparison to luxurious cars such as 7 series and S Class) and it won overall WhatCar of the year.

I had an F10 with upgraded piano black trim and professional iDrive and Oyster /Black upholstery and I can assure you with just the standard Aluminium Rhombicle Trim, cognac upholstery and the standard professional drive G30, my F10 interior felt low rent as I kept both for few weeks.

Last edited by babaikram; 06-23-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #32
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
+1 just a matter of time it will grow on you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #33
Attila7
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i xDrive

If you have a well optioned LCI F10, there is not much reason to trade it in for a G30.

Sure, some things are slightly improved (iDrive, HUD, Driving assist, interior lighting choices), but that's just not what some people describe as "G30 is way better" in many ways.

Some people go from a base pre-LCI F10 to a better optioned G30 and think it is a much better car. That's why you can ignore most G30 reviews by former F10 owners.

If you had no HUD, no xDrive, no Nappa, no Adaptive LED etc, and now you have it, you will think you have a better car - especially that you just forked out much more money and have to justify that.

Some of us who are new to the F10 ('14+) don't see the G30 as a worthy successor. I will likely skip the G30 until it's LCI or whatever comes after.
      06-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #34
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The standard sport seat looks and feels better; and more cushy and firmer.
The ambient lighting, the multifunction display, the sensatech etc.The car glides over potholes with standard M Sport suspension. Of curse the only let down is the sunglass compartment without any lining. The black central board do not have individual buttons but makes G30 looks more modern

Don't forget on just how luxurious the standard G30 520SE is, it won WhatCar luxurious car of the year (that is in comparison to luxurious cars such as 7 series and S Class) and it won overall WhatCar of the year.

I had an F10 with upgraded piano black trim and professional iDrive and Oyster /Black upholstery and I can assure you with just the standard Aluminium Rhombicle Trim, cognac upholstery and the standard professional drive G30, my F10 interior felt low rent as I kept both for few weeks.
Maybe we see luxury as two different things, but you haven't exactly convinced me it's "more luxurious". What I'm getting from your response is "newer" and "different", which is great.

Also, sensatech and luxury just don't belong in same sentence, but that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #35
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I think from reading all the posts I would prefer the f10 hood creases, the integrated GPS screen (not the current add-on look) the most current diesel option (not available in NA yet for G30) and the less aggressive lights w/the traditional round "angel eyes" as well as more traditional wheels. The smaller f10 front and rear overhang in the body is also better.

The G30 looks to have better seating and available spare tire - both really important to me. But I got a leftover f10 at CPO pricing. We'll see in the future what will happen...
Appreciate 2
Bbb34730.50
S1ammin44.00
      06-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #36
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe we see luxury as two different things, but you haven't exactly convinced me it's "more luxurious". What I'm getting from your response is "newer" and "different", which is great.

Also, sensatech and luxury just don't belong in same sentence, but that's just my opinion.
Some things are hard to describe. I would like you to tell me what would make G30 more luxurious than F10 for you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #37
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila7 View Post
If you have a well optioned LCI F10, there is not much reason to trade it in for a G30.

Sure, some things are slightly improved (iDrive, HUD, Driving assist, interior lighting choices), but that's just not what some people describe as "G30 is way better" in many ways.

Some people go from a base pre-LCI F10 to a better optioned G30 and think it is a much better car. That's why you can ignore most G30 reviews by former F10 owners.

If you had no HUD, no xDrive, no Nappa, no Adaptive LED etc, and now you have it, you will think you have a better car - especially that you just forked out much more money and have to justify that.

Some of us who are new to the F10 ('14+) don't see the G30 as a worthy successor. I will likely skip the G30 until it's LCI or whatever comes after.
Your statements sound a bit condescending. This is my third BMW. The options in my current G30 are less than my F10 and I usually own my cars
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I'll take the word of someone who owned both over someone who only owns the old model. Obviously we will hear biased opinions.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #39
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Some things are hard to describe. I would like you to tell me what would make G30 more luxurious than F10 for you
Sunglass compartment with lining, but then it'd have to be nicer material used for lining than it is in F10. Of course I'm kidding, and before I try to answer your question, let me clarify what I'm trying to say.

I'm not at all saying G30 is worse or less luxurious or uglier than F10. I'm just saying that I don't see how it's more luxurious, and things you bring up don't fall under "luxury" in my book.

Now let me try to answer your question, what would make it more luxurious.
Comparing to F10, it would need to have better (more expensive) materials used, be it plastic, metal or leather. Better sound/road noise insulation, more comfortable seats, higher end components in audio system, navigation seamlessly integrated into the dash (while still safe in line of sight), quietter cooling/heating fan operation, pleasant sounding signal light, warnings, smaller gaps (finer tolerance) in interior plastic... etc.
It's hard to disagree that F10 is pretty impressive in most, if not all of the above?

Again, not saying G30 isn't better vehicle, I have no way of knowing that since I didn't extensively drive one. I certainly hope it's "better" since they had 8 years to improve on outgoing model. Based on checking few models in my dealership, I simply don't see how it's more luxurious, I think you're just being very impressed by feeling of "new" and slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #40
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sunglass compartment with lining, but then it'd have to be nicer material used for lining than it is in F10. Of course I'm kidding, and before I try to answer your question, let me clarify what I'm trying to say.

I'm not at all saying G30 is worse or less luxurious or uglier than F10. I'm just saying that I don't see how it's more luxurious, and things you bring up don't fall under "luxury" in my book.

Now let me try to answer your question, what would make it more luxurious.
Comparing to F10, it would need to have better (more expensive) materials used, be it plastic, metal or leather. Better sound/road noise insulation, more comfortable seats, higher end components in audio system, navigation seamlessly integrated into the dash (while still safe in line of sight), quietter cooling/heating fan operation, pleasant sounding signal light, warnings, smaller gaps (finer tolerance) in interior plastic... etc.
It's hard to disagree that F10 is pretty impressive in most, if not all of the above?

Again, not saying G30 isn't better vehicle, I have no way of knowing that since I didn't extensively drive one. I certainly hope it's "better" since they had 8 years to improve on outgoing model. Based on checking few models in my dealership, I simply don't see how it's more luxurious, I think you're just being very impressed by feeling of "new" and slightly different.
According to your criteria of being more luxurious, G30 is more luxurious. Taking you point by point:

1. Better more expensive material: some parts of G30 frame contain aluminium unlike F10, making G30 lighter. Sensatec dash is no cost option at least in M Sport compared to rubber/plastic dash in F10. In some markets it is a cost option. Sensatec is definitely an upgrade over the standard plastic/rubber dash in F10

2. Better sound/ road noise. G30 is far better insulated from road noise and engine noise compared to F10. Every review attests to this. In fact you sometime forget you are driving diesel. Friends with diesel F10s have commented on this.

3. More comfortable seats: Grade for grade G30 seats are more comfortable than F10. This is my experience and experience of a lot of other previous owners of F10 and reviews

4. Audi system: Harman Kardon speakers in G30 are better than in F10. This has been extensively commented on

5. Navigation system: It is far far better than in F10 (I had professional idrive in my F10). They are not comparable, you talk to it now, you don't follow menus. Infact it understands your accent with time as it uses Nuance voice recognition system. You can cross call numbers from different phones. You can compose and reply to texts by voice commands. Touch screen and gesture controls are useful. I know some would say they are gimmicks. I use them all the time. In fact the idrive is so good that I have find apple CarPlay to be redundant.
Regarding integration into the dash, that is a matter of opinion, I prefer the high placement of idrive as whilst gazing at it you could still see the road.

6. quietter cooling/heating fan operation, pleasant sounding signal light, warnings: All G30 have active guard that indicates on the HUD or cockpit if your speed could lead to crashing into vehicles in front and slow the car down if necessary. I agree it seems some people are having trouble with speed of their cooling fans in G30. All G30 comes with LED corona and headlight as standard. No xenon.
The upgraded ICON adaptive light is sophisticated and give varying beams length and width depends on the nature of the road you are on. Unless you have used it, it is hard to describe. It selectively differentiate between road signs and the rear light of the car in front.

7. Interior plastic: it is overall better than F10, with well apportioned door pockets for bottles. The only let down is the poor lining of the sunglass pocket as mentioned above.

G30 interior is one of the only few BMW interiors that could compete with equivalent Mercedes cars.

8. Suspension: Standard G30 M Sport suspension firm and far more dampening than even standard F10 SE suspension. personal experience, experience of others and reviews attest to this

Last edited by babaikram; 06-27-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #41
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

I dont need to own a G30 to know its got cheap styling accents and softer less defining body lines. Its hideous in my opinion and just because its newer doesn't automatically make it better looking. As far as the new electronic stuff that will soon break like all its predecessors, Im not all that impressed. As a matter of fact the F10 will be my last BMW, these pieces of shit spend more time at the dealership getting warranty work than they do on the road. I'm just waiting for the G30 problems threads to start rolling in.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #42
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
According to your criteria of being more luxurious, G30 is more luxurious. Taking you point by point:

G30 interior is one of the only few BMW interiors that could compete with equivalent Mercedes cars.
Fair enough, that's your opinion, not how I saw it, I felt they were quite comparable in fit and finish and interior materials used. And I may very well be wrong.
Again, I'm only talking about interior being more luxurious, the only thing I was arguing here.

I just feel the need to address one more thing since this is a massive issue for me.

Sensatech, or whatever "sensa-cool/tech" name BMW gives it, and I cannot stress this enough time, is not luxury material, never was, never will be. It is not an upgrade over *anything* "luxury wise". There is one, and only one reason for it's existence, price, it enables manufacturers to spend less.

I might just be "old school" but I have no expensive shoes, belts, jackets, and furniture where I insisted "sensatech" to be used while I pay premium price, I believe my wife uses similar logic in her footwear and purses. Maybe we're brainwashed ?

I do hope you are correct on everything else and when the day comes for me to replace F10 if I happen to stay with BMW and 5 series, I'm proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #43
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
I've posted this comparison before, but I think it speaks for itself how much more attractive the F10 is than it's successor. G30 styling is exaggerated and unnecessary is almost every way.

To me, the new one looks better from this side profile, but in every aspect, I like the F10 better.

I guess this is the only view of the G30 that looks better than the F10 to me. From any other angle, and man, that G30 hood is just GrandMa, the F10 owns it.

But, now that I've experienced BMW, I'm sure I will find a way to love the G30 is that time comes. But, I did keep the last car I loved for 18 years, so who knows if a G30 is in my future :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #44
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

slap on the F10 hood on the G30...i bet it fits lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00