2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rear seats - do they fold?

10-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Rear seats - do they fold?

I have an F10 520d M Sport saloon on order. This is a UK spec car.

I did not go for the split folding rear seats option.

I believe that there is a through load as standard, which is a hatch style opening behind the rear arm rest.

Will I be able to lower the rear seats as a block of all three seats? So to open the boot into the rear passenger area, in a non-split way?

Or do the rear seats simply not fold down at all?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
SAuchterlonie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520

I don't think the seats fold down at all mate. I was told that I had to pay extra for the folding split seats.

S
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

They do not fold. Split folding rear seats is a great option.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
They do not fold. Split folding rear seats is a great option.
Okay, thanks for clarifying this. It is a bit annoying, since most other vendors - my current Audi included - have this as standard.

Not a massive annoyance, since I mostly don't have to carry anything bigger than will fit in the boot.

I suppose when things like all leather seats are standard, it's probably unfair to bemoan the "option" charging for other things that one might expect to be standard. One man's perception of a standard item, might be seen as another man's perception of "option".

Anyway, thanks again for the clarity.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

There are a large number of vehicles in which the folding rear seat is not even an option. Since it was listed as an option, one should not assume it is available for free. Anyway, it is described clearly on the website.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessew10 View Post
There are a large number of vehicles in which the folding rear seat is not even an option.
A valid point. I agree with you. There are also a large number of vehicles in which the folding rear seat is standard. This applies to vehicles where all three seats fold in one action, and the split / fold implementation.

Quote:
Since it was listed as an option, one should not assume it is available for free.
I think you must have mis-interpreted my original post, as I was enquiring about the folding capability of all three seats and not the option of split / folding rear seats, of which I am aware, is a chargeable option. One that I have elected not to take.

Quote:
Anyway, it is described clearly on the website.
I'm assuming you are referencing the BMW web site. I'm not aware of a description on the BMW UK web site that references the ability or not, to fold all three of the rear seats. Hence my posting here, in order to clarify my query. I was ably assisted in this clarification earlier today.

If you have appropiate citation from the BMW UK web site, I'll very happily stand corrected.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0