2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum CPO 550i breaking down multiple times since the time of purchase

01-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
CPO 550i breaking down multiple times since the time of purchase

Hi folks, I bought a 2014 CPO 550i which I bought at 27000 miles. Have been enjoying the car but it has been having power tran issues multiple times in the last 6 months I have owned the car. I noted loss of power and hiccups on cold start which the service center attributed to fuel pump malfunction which didn't clear it. They later fixed several fuel injectors after which the problem still didn't go away but they stopped paying attention to it until the car stalled in the middle of accelerating and switched off. They did the same repairs again and it drove fine but the problem is coming back again. Not sure how to pursue this but would appreciate input from any one who has been through a similar issue on a CPO Car still under warranty. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550ihtown View Post
Hi folks, I bought a 2014 CPO 550i which I bought at 27000 miles. Have been enjoying the car but it has been having power tran issues multiple times in the last 6 months I have owned the car. I noted loss of power and hiccups on cold start which the service center attributed to fuel pump malfunction which didn't clear it. They later fixed several fuel injectors after which the problem still didn't go away but they stopped paying attention to it until the car stalled in the middle of accelerating and switched off. They did the same repairs again and it drove fine but the problem is coming back again. Not sure how to pursue this but would appreciate input from any one who has been through a similar issue on a CPO Car still under warranty. Thanks!
As it's the same ongoing problem I would keep taking it back. They should waive the deductible as they haven't fixed the issue. It took my dealer 3 times and 2 engineer visits to sort out my Comfort Access trunk issue and I was on the hook for just the initial co-pay.

It also may be time to find a new dealer.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
As it's the same ongoing problem I would keep taking it back. They should waive the deductible as they haven't fixed the issue. It took my dealer 3 times and 2 engineer visits to sort out my Comfort Access trunk issue and I was on the hook for just the initial co-pay.

It also may be time to find a new dealer.
I haven't been asked for a deductible yet by the dealership - they said that as the car is under warranty, they will not charge me for repairs. I am kind of frustrated as the car broke down at a stop light and the other time in stop and go traffic on the freeway. As the factory warranty is coming close to an end in a year, BMW will stop covering for certain repairs and I will have a hard time selling this if problem continues to persist. Other dealerships in Houston do not want to touch the car as the repairs were not done in their center.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't been asked for a deductible yet by the dealership - they said that as the car is under warranty, they will not charge me for repairs. I am kind of frustrated as the car broke down at a stop light and the other time in stop and go traffic on the freeway. As the factory warranty is coming close to an end in a year, BMW will stop covering for certain repairs and I will have a hard time selling this if problem continues to persist. Other dealerships in Houston do not want to touch the car as the repairs were not done in their center.
That sounds weird... It's not like the repairs weren't documented in their system...

The deductible applies when the CPO kicks-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I feel your pain I have 2013 550i I was experiencing similar issue with my car losing power when I would floor it. It took dealer three times do fix the issue It was bad coil at the time they replaced one spark plug. Every since they did that no issues what so ever.
Third time when this happened to me I asked CA to have senior Tech look into issue he was able to get it done.
Good luck
      01-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Al__Bundy
Rep
Drives: 2015 550xi

Mine wasn't stalling but I had a drivetrain malfunction 3 times in my first 2 thousand miles of ownership, same thing 2014 550. It seems like it is fixed now that they changed all the injectors and plugs. They did a cold start then looked on top of the cylinders and saw they were wet.

Last visit I asked them what we do if they can't fix it and told them I'm giving them 1 more chance but very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
That sounds weird... It's not like the repairs weren't documented in their system...

His car is still under the 4/50,000 factory warranty so no deductible. CPO will kick in once that’s done.

To the OP, I would start pressing the issue of lemon law if your state has laws for it or ask your SA to push to a bmw buyback. They’re usually really good on this. They take your car as a trade and give you more on top if you buy another bmw.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Texas Lemon Law...

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law

And for used (pre-owned) vehicles...

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing all the information -

Update: after several calls to dealerships around town, I was able to get the car in at the same dealership. Looked at the old repairs in the first month of owning the car - (pardon the yelling - copied from invoice)

"FOUND FAULTS 1108001 MIXTURE CONTROL: FUEL-AIR MIXTURE TOO
LEAN, 118401 MIXTURE CONTROL: FUEL MIXTURE TOO LEAN, LARGE DEVIATION, 7
12bd52 oxygen sensor catalytic converter, electrical: signal line open
circuit. RAN TEST PLAN FOR O2 SENSOR FAULT & CHECKED WIRING FROM BANK 1
O2 SENSORS TO DME & FOUND NO FAULT WITH THE WIRING. THEN RAN TEST PLAN
FOR MIXTURE CONTROL FAULTS. BEGAN BY SMOKE TESTING CRANKCASE SYSTEM AND
FOUND CRANK CASE LINES TO BE LEAKING. REPLACED CRANK CASE LINES CLEARED
FAULT & TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND FAULTS ARE NO LONGER PRESENT AT THIS
TIME.

AFTER REPLACEMENT OF CRANKCASE LINE TEST DROVE VEHICLE THE
FOLLOWING MORNING AND VEHICLE WAS UNABLE TO HOLD IDLE. CONNECTED
BATTERY CHARGER, RAN VEHICLE TEST, INTERROGATED FAULT MEMORY AND FOUND
FAULT 118001 FOR MIXTURE CONTROL: FUEL-AIR MIXTURE TOO LEAN. SMOKED AIR
INTAKE SYSTEM WITH ENGINE COLD AND FOUND TURBO INLET SEALS TO BE
LEAKING. REPLACED TURBO INLET SEALS SMOKE TESTED INTAKE SYSTEM AND WAS
NO LONGER LEAKING AT THIS TIME. CLEARED FAULTS AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE
AND VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME."

Later I had another drive train malfunction where the error and repairs were these "FAULT 110001 CYLINDER INJECTION CUTOUT: PRESSURE TOO LOW IN HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM. RAN TEST PLAN FOR FUEL SYSTEM & FOUND NO FAULTS IN LOW PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM. THEN RAN TEST PLAN FOR HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM & TEST PLAN FOUND NO FAULTS WITH SYSTEM. PER SHOP FOREMAN PULLED ALL SPARK PLUGS & FOUND NO SIGNS OF FOULING. PER FOREMAN REPLACED BANK 1 HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP WITH UPDATED CONNECTOR. CLEARED FAULT & TEST DROVE VEHICLE & VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME."

The car still has hiccups on cold start and the weather hasn't been helping with it.

I asked them for the option of buy back but they said each time it has been a different repair and will not be considered at this point of time.

Are the repairs above major or minor? I am strongly considering the lemon law as the total amount of time my car has been at the dealership is already more than 15 days excluding the work that will be needed this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Long, LONG shot.... What fuel are you using?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #12
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Long, LONG shot.... What fuel are you using?
I use premium but the dealership said the previous owner might have used regular
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:19 AM   #13
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Try going to ABR Houston
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al__Bundy View Post
Mine wasn't stalling but I had a drivetrain malfunction 3 times in my first 2 thousand miles of ownership, same thing 2014 550. It seems like it is fixed now that they changed all the injectors and plugs. They did a cold start then looked on top of the cylinders and saw they were wet.

Last visit I asked them what we do if they can't fix it and told them I'm giving them 1 more chance but very nicely.
i had a similar issue, and the injectors were changed.

mine is also a 2014 550i and it happened around 26k miles.

The only reason my SA gave me is that he has seen this issue with a few other cars, and he said the common theme was the gas.

I was filling gas at Safeway regularly near my old house. I have since started using top tier gas such as chevron/76/mobil etc...

My buddy owns a mobil/exxon station and he told me that there is a marked difference in the gas that safeway gets vs what he gets at his station.

Since staying away from Safeway and other 'lower' tier gas stations, i have not run into any additional issues.

hope that helps.

/disclaimer: before anyone starts going thru the lower tier / higher tier gas debate, this has been my experience, and it has worked well for me so far. So i'm a believer in this theory...if you're not thats fine...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
/disclaimer: before anyone starts going thru the lower tier / higher tier gas debate, this has been my experience, and it has worked well for me so far. So i'm a believer in this theory...if you're not thats fine...
I'm with you... My last car got 50-75 fewer miles per tank on non-Top-Tier than Top-Tier. It also idled rougher and started slower. The switch to Top-Tier (albeit Costco) yielded the extra miles and a smoother idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
I'm with you... My last car got 50-75 fewer miles per tank on non-Top-Tier than Top-Tier. It also idled rougher and started slower. The switch to Top-Tier (albeit Costco) yielded the extra miles and a smoother idle.
i haven't noticed better mpg...but that could be due to my lead foot...LOL...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #17
rogueshot
Rep
Drives: '10 550 GT

nearly all of the DTMs that these N63 cars throw is related to coils, plugs, injectors. Add on top of that cracked hoses, etc. and many of these motors throw codes on a regular basis. Spend a few hours perusing the various BMW forums and read all of the issues on the 5 series N63 pages. Tons of similar acceleration/DTM/rough idle/loss of power/studdering complaints/issues that are not oil burn or battery drain related.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
nearly all of the DTMs that these N63 cars throw is related to coils, plugs, injectors. Add on top of that cracked hoses, etc. and many of these motors throw codes on a regular basis. Spend a few hours perusing the various BMW forums and read all of the issues on the 5 series N63 pages. Tons of similar acceleration/DTM/rough idle/loss of power/studdering complaints/issues that are not oil burn or battery drain related.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
rogueshot
Rep

I assume folks on this board know about the N63 lawsuit and that the parties are rumored to have reached a settlement that is believed to involve further repairs/warranty coverage for N63 motors....
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #20
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I assume folks on this board know about the N63 lawsuit and that the parties are rumored to have reached a settlement that is believed to involve further repairs/warranty coverage for N63 motors....
Thanks for the info. Isn't the n63 class action lawsuit valid for cars manufactured till 2010?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #21
rogueshot
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Isn't the n63 class action lawsuit valid for cars manufactured till 2010?
it starts with cars manufactured in 2010 (2009 actually I think) and extends through 2013 (and maybe even 2014 for some models) - every BMW model that has the N63. Models with the N63TU (the re-design) are not covered. If I recall correctly the N63 was sold in the US in the 5, 5GT, x5, x6, 6 and 7.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #22
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Where is the settlement info?
Appreciate 0