2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Battery Discharge Warning

02-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Battery Discharge Warning

I've been getting the battery discharge warning and remembered I keep my cell phone charger plugged in to the port in the arm rest.

Do the aux power ports continue to supply power even when the car is off and locked?
      02-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Drez1985
Rep
Drives: 550i

I think only for few minutes after you turn it off. I've been getting that warning as well when it's really cold outside. It went away after awhile when it warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did start to get it once the temps dropped here in MD. Last night I unplugged the cell charger when I got home and no battery warning this morning.
      02-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
If you have access to a trickle charger I highly recommend letting your battery fully recharge for 24hrs after you experience that. Check your voltage with engine off and with it running through the secret menu. Should be above 12 volts off and 14 and above when running. Anything below you could be stressing your alternator. If you trickle charge properly and the error happens again it's time for a new battery.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 2
The_M6248.00
      02-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
If you have access to a trickle charger I highly recommend letting your battery fully recharge for 24hrs after you experience that. Check your voltage with engine off and with it running through the secret menu. Should be above 12 volts off and 14 and above when running. Anything below you could be stressing your alternator. If you trickle charge properly and the error happens again it's time for a new battery.
Thanks, I'll plug it up tonight and drive the Civic tomorrow...Appreciate the tip!
      02-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

I occasionally get this too and a night or few hours on the charger seem to make it go away for a while. If you start getting it more frequently, it may be time to replace the battery though so keep that in mind.

All interior/aux power supplies seem to shut off after ~15 minutes of the car being shut off if they keep drawing power from what I've seen so it shouldn't cause any drain unless there's something wrong with a control module in your car.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00
      02-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

I recommend anyone still under factory warranty to have the dealer test the battery. I took my car in a couple days ago because the AC was not blowing cold air (turned out to be a leaking condenser which is a common issue on our cars) and told them I also get the battery discharge warning every couple days (no other symptoms). They tested and replaced the battery, no questions asked. FYI the car is a '13 CPO with 42k miles still under factory 4yr/50k warranty.

If you're out of warranty, the trickle charger may do the trick until it needs to be replaced but I don't have any personal experience with that... yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Is this secret menu through the BC button?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
hawkjr1
Retired US Army/Police Officer
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport, E-92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLLsLow View Post
I recommend anyone still under factory warranty to have the dealer test the battery. I took my car in a couple days ago because the AC was not blowing cold air (turned out to be a leaking condenser which is a common issue on our cars) and told them I also get the battery discharge warning every couple days (no other symptoms). They tested and replaced the battery, no questions asked. FYI the car is a '13 CPO with 42k miles still under factory 4yr/50k warranty.

If you're out of warranty, the trickle charger may do the trick until it needs to be replaced but I don't have any personal experience with that... yet.
I see we had the same issue with the A/C. The first thing the dealer said maybe a rock knocked a hole in the condenser and if that was the case I had to pay out of pocket but it turned out the lines were leaking. They also replaced the HPFP which I didn't know there was a problem. I also have a 2013 E92 and the battery went south and I got that replaced free (under 4/50000 miles warranty). I kept getting the battery drainage message for about a month off and on. They said it had a dead cell. Just wanted to report some good news. Both of my cars are CPO. The battery is not covered under the CPO.
      02-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjr1 View Post
I see we had the same issue with the A/C. The first thing the dealer said maybe a rock knocked a hole in the condenser and if that was the case I had to pay out of pocket but it turned out the lines were leaking. They also replaced the HPFP which I didn't know there was a problem. I also have a 2013 E92 and the battery went south and I got that replaced free (under 4/50000 miles warranty). I kept getting the battery drainage message for about a month off and on. They said it had a dead cell. Just wanted to report some good news. Both of my cars are CPO. The battery is not covered under the CPO.
After researching the AC issue, I was nervous to hear the same rock damage excuse but luckily they didn't mention any damage, just a leaky condenser. I forgot about the HPFP, I may have them take a look if I drop it off again before the 4 years are up in July, I'm hoping to at least get my rear brake pads replaced before then. But yeah, I'm glad they covered the battery and went ahead and did a brake fluid flush on this visit, a couple less things to worry about for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
bmw//msport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 535//Msport

Same thing happen to me.. dead cell w/ batt
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #12
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu550 View Post
I've been getting the battery discharge warning and remembered I keep my cell phone charger plugged in to the port in the arm rest.

Do the aux power ports continue to supply power even when the car is off and locked?
A few things here, 1 the port in the arm rest is not a usb charging port, its for usb music storage. 2nd the manual states these cars must be driven a minium of 15 miles a day to keep the battery charged, if not the battery gets low after 4 days of sitting, especially in cold weather. Ive been researching this cars charging system for the last 2 years. The car never charges the battery above 80% of a full charge, it relies on the dynamic braking and coasting to keep the battery at 100% but only while driving. During acceleration the alt switches off to keep parasitic drag off the engine to get the best fuel economy, only if the battery is extremly low will the car charge the battey while accerating and it will even keep the tranny in a higher gear to keep the rpms up to recharge the battery. Im putting in an additional 4 cell 12volt k2 energy 73ah battery with an isolator for my stereo system to keep the car from discharging it while sitting, my 550 is not my daily driver, its my weekend pimp mobile.

Also I put my car on a 10amp charger regularly, atleast 3-4 times a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
A few things here, 1 the port in the arm rest is not a usb charging port, its for usb music storage. 2nd the manual states these cars must be driven a minium of 15 miles a day to keep the battery charged, if not the battery gets low after 4 days of sitting, especially in cold weather. Ive been researching this cars charging system for the last 2 years. The car never charges the battery above 80% of a full charge, it relies on the dynamic braking and coasting to keep the battery at 100% but only while driving. During acceleration the alt switches off to keep parasitic drag off the engine to get the best fuel economy, only if the battery is extremly low will the car charge the battey while accerating and it will even keep the tranny in a higher gear to keep the rpms up to recharge the battery. Im putting in an additional 4 cell 12volt k2 energy 73ah battery with an isolator for my stereo system to keep the car from discharging it while sitting, my 550 is not my daily driver, its my weekend pimp mobile.

Also I put my car on a 10amp charger regularly, atleast 3-4 times a month.
That explains it!!! She's technically my daily but I work from home and don't drive every day and then we have a mini van and Mercedes GL also so the only time I'm really in the Bimmer is when I'm by myself "pimping"

At least I know now to pay attention to the efficient dynamics of the car and not let it sit so much.

Thanks for the info...you're the real MVP!
      03-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu550 View Post
That explains it!!! She's technically my daily but I work from home and don't drive every day and then we have a mini van and Mercedes GL also so the only time I'm really in the Bimmer is when I'm by myself "pimping"

At least I know now to pay attention to the efficient dynamics of the car and not let it sit so much.

Thanks for the info...you're the real MVP!
No problem broski
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #15
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 550i xdrive

I got the battery discharge message on Sunday. It said battery discharge while stopped: electrical devices were temporarily switched off. Do I need to charge the battery or change it or inspect it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:12 AM   #16
bunnypv
Rep
Drives: F10 2010 530D

K-Can issue and battery discharge

So i have been getting a k-can error regardless of how many times i have cleared it. I have physically checked the wires in the following spots - rear boot (left and right), under the car, under the driver seat. I have even opened up the seat control module and the ZGM and there were no signs of water damage. Please help as these errors are showing up constantly. I also get a low battery error despite the battery being new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #17
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep

Do you think I need a new battery or find the parasite for the battery? My error code 802E8. Tell me what to do about this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 12:01 AM   #18
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by razfrankel View Post
Do you think I need a new battery or find the parasite for the battery? My error code 802E8. Tell me what to do about this issue.
TAKE THE PENNY OUT OF THE SOCKET!!!! Go from there.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 03:30 PM   #19
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep

I got the Pennie’s out it was more than one penny it was 3 we changed the fuse. Says the same thing. I think it’s the battery or something else apologies for the inconvenience. Yes I have comfort access handles
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 04:46 PM   #20
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by razfrankel View Post
I got the Pennie’s out it was more than one penny it was 3 we changed the fuse. Says the same thing. I think it’s the battery or something else apologies for the inconvenience.
The battery discharged while stopped is not a battery issue, per sé. It's a parasitic draw somewhere; as I believe it was as Quick said, something isn't going to "sleep." Do you have Comfort Access? Like I mentioned earlier, a common cause of the warning is a failed door handle. You can either unplug them all and see if the warning goes away, or, unplug them one by one until you find the failed handle.
Appreciate 1