2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum September features already included on pre september builds

08-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
rka
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

September features already included on pre september builds

Hi I have ordered an F10 535i that is build in week 29 and on its way.

I have read about all the new features in september builds regarding ipod cover art and bluetooth audio streaming. A lot of people have confirmed that cover art is already in some cars now. This can further be confirm when reading the press release on http://bmw.connecteddrive.info under the infotainment section:

Cover Arts.
Cover Arts displays audio files with album cover images.

Models: Since March 2010: BMW 3 Series Coupé, BMW 3 Series Convertible; since June 2010: BMW 5 Series Sedan; from production date September 2010: all models.

Now my question... Can anyone who have received an F10 with production after june 2010 confirm other september changes already in the car?

I can see and have read a lot about people trying desperately to move there slot to september build, perhaps without any reason, because the changes are already in the cars as of june...Anyone who can confirm?

Has anybody got an car with the new september Bluetooth Audio streaming feature?

All responses are greatly appreciated :-)

Last edited by rka; 08-02-2010 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Added question
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

I have orderd a F11, I guess they are all post september build. On my order the option 6VC was added. This seems to be the Combox witch provide the new bluetooth integration that permits downloading cover arts, internet over phone and audio streaming. So I would look for 6vc on your option list.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Cover art has been on other BMWs pre Sept. Items like text to voice are 100% for sure in Sept builds onwards only, and not retrofittable as there is different hardware involved.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
rka
Rep

As I see/read it the inclusion of 6VC ComBox Controller ensures the September technology upgrades

It just seems that officially BMW calls it september builds, but that this things are allready put into the cars.

Anyone who can confirm that they have the 6VC Combox Controller or the features allready in there received car?

The September technology upgrades are listed her

Last edited by rka; 08-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Added link to september changes
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Mine is being built on 8/28 and the official order list says 6vc combobox blocked. I don't use itunes or any apple product for that matter and my phone is not a blackberry so the September build features were not worth waiting for.

Now if I find out the f10 M-sport steering wheel retains heat functionality in post-September models, THEN I'll be pissed
      08-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

I just got my F10 last Friday and it was a July build (first week) and has the USB option. The dealer insisted that I needed the Y cable and made me pay for it €65 additionally. So I was a bit annoyed by it as he refused to throw it in when I was paying him via bank draft, so I was interested in this. I just went out to the car and used a standard apply cable USB only and the it didn't really work. I got playback on one song but the menus were screwed up.

I then used the same iPOD classic with the Y cable and checked all the options for the cover art and could not get it to appear on the idrive screen. No option to display it or other indication it could be done.

So the functionality does look to be Septerber Build only.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
rka
Rep

Thanks for the reply although it was not what I wanted to here

If possible could you list which options you have?

633, 644 or 639 Bluetooth ?
606 / 609 Navigation Business / Professionel ?
6FL USB interface ?
6NF Extended music interface ?
6VC Combox Controller ?

By the way Y-Cable is usb/analog audio, Apple-Cable only is usb/Digital. Weird that you can play a song digitally at all?

I believe the Album cover functionality is Digital only with the Apple cable?

Last edited by rka; 08-05-2010 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongyblue View Post
I then used the same iPOD classic with the Y cable and checked all the options for the cover art and could not get it to appear on the idrive screen. No option to display it or other indication it could be done.

So the functionality does look to be Septerber Build only.
I wouldn't be so sure.

My understanding is that the technology coming in September is iOS 4-based, which means that the iPod Classic is not included in this.

I have both an iPod Classic and an iPod Touch 3rd Gen (with iOS 4 installed), so I will try this and report back when my car arrives (it's at the USA VPC right now).

Note that my VIN is in the 4000-range (although I understand VIN numbers are all over the place [not perfectly incremental] depending on options).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

Today I got a iphone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 installed. I download music to it and attached it to my July build F10 with 6FL option using the iphone white cable and could not get album art to display or music to play. Used the Aux/USB pig tail and all was good but still not album art.

No Nav simple iDrive and 6FL fitted to my build.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I used the white apple cable at the dealer on a pre-Sep 528i with nav and Hifi (no Dirac) and I could get sound with USB only (no Y-cable). This isn't supposed to work but it did. I used a iPod Classic (no iOS 4) and there was no album art.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Any updates on this thread?

I initially ordered my F10 around mid July. The dealer placed the order and decided to keep it despite my desire to wait until Sept. in order to ensure the updates. The initial car was just completed (8/13) and the dealer said I could take a look at it before they placed the new order - figure it should arrive in a couple/few weeks.

So. Anyone out there with an 'September' build yet? My hope is that as we get closer to the end of the month, some will start to show up. Also, where would I look for the 6vc Combo Box notation?

Last edited by savela; 08-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Add info.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

September Builds

Dingolfing has been shut down this early August and evidently won't be back up and running untill week 35, which starts August 30th. (This is their normal Summer shutdown.) Cars with that build date on should all incude the new hardware. These cars will not be showing up on our shores untill late September, early October.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Here are my findings:

1. No album art on both iPod Touch (3rd Gen w/ iOS 4) and iPod Classic 80GB using Y-cable.
2. Using the white Apple USB cable, the iPod Touch fails ("unsupported device").
3. Using the white Apple USB cable, the iPod Classic appears as a standard USB device, which means you have to browse directory-by-directory from the root directory.

Net-net - it didn't work for me.
Appreciate 0