2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 vs F30 (Interior space/Luxury)

03-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
TBH, there are are just as many that say 17cuft, including the manual....
http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...rwd_dimensions

manual, see page 234: http://cache.bmwusa.com/PDF_d34f9fa3...b397f71ab.arox

and it has been a source of discussion for a while:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...699&highlight=

13 cuff WAS the size for the e90 three series (I had one of those too; the F30's is way bigger).

I wish my M5 trunk was as big as the F30s(It fits more, especially golf clubs bags). I think that even if they are close, the F30 uses its dimensions better... The F10 trunk lid and motors for the automatic system take up room under the back deck and on the sides. If packed right, you can still get a lot of stuff in and F10: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=14

My bottom-line is that I have both in my garage... I put stuff in them every day. Take my opinion/experience for what its worth.
I believe you. I just didn't think something factual like this would be so off on major websites. I'm amazed that the trunk is bigger in the F30. Just damn.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Trunk space

F3x 13 cu-ft
F10x 14 cu-ft

Correct me if I am wrong.
Quick search says the F10 trunk is 520 liters (18.36 cu-ft), while the F30 trunk is 480 liters (16.95 cu-ft).

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #25
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
There is no mistaken an F30 interior from an F10. Everything just has a more premium look and touch to it. Much nicer layout in the F10 IMO. Anyone who says otherwise is just in denial or blind or has low expectations for a luxury interior. I've had my fair share of 3series in the past and to me the F30 shows the most cost cutting from BMW once I sat in one.

With that said it seems like the new M3 is going to address some of that if you get the extended leather option.

Between the new M3 and M5 it really depends how much space you need. My F10 is just about borderline adequate with my wife and kid plus all her stuff. The f30 chassis is definitely smaller like Xmen said. Shorter, narrower and less trunk space.

If you need the space then M5 no question. If you are a single guy then M3/M4. The handling dynamics of the M3/4 overcomes the shortcomings of the interior design for me.

Alan
Well said. Agree completely.
      03-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #26
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Well said. Agree completely.
The problem is, I don't agree that M5 necessarily offers heaps and bounds more space over the M3. I have done yet another test drive in the M5 yesterday (pretty much test drove all M5s in my area) and to me the use of word "extra space" is a bit misleading. It's larger, but it's larger as an overall volume, definitely not seating space. It's comfortable, but not because it's larger, but because seats have more padding.

Bottom line is, M5's extra space is for luxury, it's still a german sedan and you are still uncomfortable in the back seat with 2 other people right next to you. Now, the ride is softer than M3 and the car transmits less road noise, which all contribute to a better ride experience/luxury again.

As many people have said, I guess what I'm saying is, one should not get a 5 series just to have "more room" in the back for more people. At least this time around, the actual leg room/width on the actual seats themselves (disregarding the headroom) are extremely close between M3 and M5. In fact, I will say this, the M5's leg room in the back is worse than the M3 simply because M5's seats are very large and thick and M3's seats have gotten thinner. M5 has about 1-2 inches more width in total, but that doesn't really translate into a more comfortable ride when you put 3 grown adults there (5'11 + 180 lbs x 3).

So all in all, M5 is for people who want power and sporty ride but yet don't want to get thrown inside the cabin when driving over bumps like you do in the M3. M3 is more for people who want to toss their car around and so on.

The problem is, I want to do both and this is why I have this dilemma. I wish I could get an M4 and an M5
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #27
3rd party
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E60 530xi, 14 550i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I wish I could get an M4 and an M5

It still wouldn't solve your problem if you could though. You'd still have 2 vehicles neither w awd or 4x4 so could not dependably get to work on a snowy day or more importantly get home. And you still couldn't get to the beach or mtns w 4 plus baby, plus gear.

I threw out the Tahoe before and I'll add a crew cab truck to the mix now which imho is a LOT more versatile than an SUV. Buy one a couple years old and keep it for 20 years. Great (and safe) kid hauler, yard work, excellent on ski trips, it's really limitless as far as uses go. Tundra would be nice but a GM will last albeit not quite as trouble free as the Tundra.

The M5 is being remodeled and likely awd will be an option soon which would be a significant improvement in terms of utility. I bet the cabin is roomier and the whole car lighter in the next version so I don't see the need to buy an M5 right now.

Pick out your most pressing problem and find a cost effective solution. There is always time to buy an M down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #28
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
I am also deciding if I am going to downgrade to a F31 next time. I can afford a larger engine easier in the F31. I have two children 4 and 6.
Probably I am going all in and getting a 535D
      03-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #29
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

What are some of the subtle differences between the two cars in terms of features/functionality? i.e.

* Are there any differences in HUD? Is one larger than the other? Does one display more information than the other?
* Are there any differences in iDrive? More features/etc?
* Is the way climate control works different?
* Are the LED headlights different in functionality/range/etc?

This is the sort of stuff I am looking for. Looking at the BMWUSA website, you can't easily extract this information unfortunately. It'd be great if people can contribute, will make my decision much easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #30
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I find it very hard to believe that the F30 is as big as the F10 and has a bigger trunk. I've sat in the two and to me its noticeable. You just have more shoulder room in the F10 in the front and the back. That makes a big difference when you have a convertible baby seat in the back. I can still sit two adults in the back of my car with one installed. Front and rear leg room depends a lot on how tall you are. I am 5'10" and people could fit behind me easily.

I mean if you think the F30 is plenty big enough for you then thats even better. Pick up the M3 and enjoy the hell out of it. Unfortunately for me I need all the space I could get and the F10 is just a bigger car overall.

Alan
      03-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #31
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

I find it very hard to believe that the F30 is as big as the F10 and has a bigger trunk. I've sat in the two and to me its noticeable. You just have more shoulder room in the F10 in the front and the back. That makes a big difference when you have a convertible baby seat in the back. I can still sit two adults in the back of my car with one installed. Front and rear leg room depends a lot on how tall you are. I am 5'10" and people could fit behind me easily.

I mean if you think the F30 is plenty big enough for you then thats even better. Pick up the M3 and enjoy the hell out of it. Unfortunately for me I need all the space I could get and the F10 is just a bigger car overall.

Alan
You should be showing a comparison of the interior room. You can say what you like but I had a loaner F30 while waiting for my F10 to arrive. I put two Brtiax forward facing convertible car seats in the rear of the F30 for a week and then into the F10 when it arrived. The complaints started in the F10. My daughter could cross her legs in the rear of the F30. The comfort seats are to blame. I love my F10 but the packaging is for 4 adults, not kids in car seats.
      03-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #32
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My daughter is 18 months old so I don't have that issue with her legs feeling cramped in the back of my F10 with her car seat (Diono RXT)

If the F30 really does have more interior room and more trunk space then heck maybe i can convice the wife that our next car should be the M3 instead of the X5

Alan
      03-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #33
Keyser Soze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

F10 has a much deeper trunk for sure but the access to it is only marginally bigger than the F30 or even the E90 for that matter.
      03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #34
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Cool

Quote:
There is no mistaken an F30 interior from an F10. Everything just has a more premium look and touch to it. Much nicer layout in the F10 IMO. Anyone who says otherwise is just in denial or blind or has low expectations for a luxury interior.

If you need the space then M5 no question. If you are a single guy then M3/M4. The handling dynamics of the M3/4 overcomes the shortcomings of the interior design for me.

Alan
+1

Last edited by EmArAsOnS; 03-03-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #35
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
There is no mistaken an F30 interior from an F10. Everything just has a more premium look and touch to it. Much nicer layout in the F10 IMO. Anyone who says otherwise is just in denial or blind or has low expectations for a luxury interior. I've had my fair share of 3series in the past and to me the F30 shows the most cost cutting from BMW once I sat in one.

With that said it seems like the new M3 is going to address some of that if you get the extended leather option.

Between the new M3 and M5 it really depends how much space you need. My F10 is just about borderline adequate with my wife and kid plus all her stuff. The f30 chassis is definitely smaller like Xmen said. Shorter, narrower and less trunk space.

Alan
Space wise and quality wise, how do you feel about the F10 compared to the 3GT? ...aside from it not being the best looking on the outside of course...
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #36
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
My daughter is 18 months old so I don't have that issue with her legs feeling cramped in the back of my F10 with her car seat (Diono RXT)

If the F30 really does have more interior room and more trunk space then heck maybe i can convice the wife that our next car should be the M3 instead of the X5

Alan
Yes, but in 18 months your 18 month old will be 3 1/2 and "foot room" behind the drivers seat becomes an issue, even if you are only 5' 8" like me.
      03-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #37
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The build quality of the F30 is HORRENDOUS.

F10 is very well built and all the materials look and feel much nicer.

Overall interior space is a little better in F10 and trunk space is comparable.

My E92 - i felt was much better put together than the F30 loaner i just had with 5k miles. I thought a Corolla interior is nicer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #38
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Even BMW will show you the shortcomings of an F30 over an F10, scratchy plastics, and just less quality overall. F10 is head and shoulders better than the F30 I had recently for a couple of days. More road noise and everything you touch is, well, plastic.

I agree that space wise there is probably not a vast difference, although a friend with three children thought it was similar, and traded his E60 for an F30, then sold it in six months as the rear transmission tunnel is much larger, and even fitting their feet under the front seats was proving an issue.

BMW need to have a certain % of recyclable trim, none in 7, more in 6,5, to alot more in 3, to most of it in 1 series
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0