2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications diy downpipe - OEM retrofit - No cel - idea

08-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
paul_sarky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport

diy downpipe - OEM retrofit - No cel - idea

An idea came to my mind. About 15 years ago i took a catalytic converter off an old car and punched a hole thru, put it back on and instant power, that little v6 came to life. Of course, the check engine light came on and eventually i replaced it with a new unit.

So, cant we do the same with our downpipes? But, instead of just making a hole, put a long ceramic or some high heat steel pipe thru it long enough to go past the second 02 sensor. This way, the catalytic converters would still be doing their job, but depending on the diameter of the pipe, you would have some of the gasses free flowing, releasing the exhaust pressure and not trigger the check engine light.

what do you guys think?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

If this could provide a gain, there's definitely no room for it. With how big those cats are right behind our engine there's no room to fit a parallel pipe of substantial size. Nothing that could provide a gain at least. Also, with the angle our cats are at, the exhaust would have to change directions twice. This could honestly slow it down more than a catalytic converter could.

If you want an OEM fix, you could pick up a set of M5 downpipes. Less restrictive and factory fit.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0