2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Outgoing 528i (Six) is a Nice, Balanced Luxury-Sports Sedan

08-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi, 435xi

Outgoing 528i (Six) is a Nice, Balanced Luxury-Sports Sedan

I arranged the purchase of a well-equipped 2011 528i for a friend in late July. The friend is not at all interested in cars and trusted me to identify a "great family sedan" with some luxury features. In fact, prior to the purchase, he did not even bother to test drive a 5-Series. He did sit in one to satisfy himself that it was comfortable and a reasonable size.

I found him a great deal on a Space Grey 528i with Sports Package, Sports Automatic, Premium Package, Navigation, Cold Weather Package and a few other options. Apart from the exhaust configuration, the car looks a lot like a 535i. I volunteered to deliver the car so that I could explore a part of the USA I hadn't seen (Midwest).

Overall, I was impressed with the build quality, finish and performance of the 528i. The power is not overwhelming, but will be more than adequate for most. The Sport AT and paddle shifters were very useful in boosting acceleration when merging, overtaking and exiting toll booths. I was able to average 34mpg+ cruising at just over 75mph, which I thought was excellent.

I took the time to test-drive a 550i during my delivery trip. Compared to the 528i, it felt like a rocket. Huge power, which I have experienced before. If anything, it left me wondering whether I could actually use that power. The 550i would hit legal speed limits in seconds -- really, before the car even hits its stride. Lots of fun, but perhaps overkill. A 535i seems a reasonable compromise.

The 528i performed flawlessly. The new owner loves it -- both the performance and the luxury feel. It will take days for him to understand its many complicated features. His only complaint is that it feels somewhat larger than he had expected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Good recommendation of the 528i, especially with the impressive MPG numbers. Your friend actually let you drive before he got to drive it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Lucky that bmw makes a 530i with 272hp for 2012 then.
      08-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi, 435xi

Friend Outsources Car selection, Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Good recommendation of the 528i, especially with the impressive MPG numbers. Your friend actually let you drive before he got to drive it?
Yes, my friend was prepared to accept my car recommendation. I took delivery at the dealership on his behalf and drove the 528i through four states before he even saw it.

It was so hot in the south that there are no bugs flying around. So, the car arrived looking almost spotless. I did a quick 'pre-delivery' inspection, removing all chip bags and water bottles.
Appreciate 0