2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Rear Seat Entertainment video options

10-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
SweetBabyDENÍS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1989 Skyline R32 GTR

Rear Seat Entertainment video options

Good evening all!
I am a happy new owner of a CPO'd 550i MSport in glorious Carbon Black Metallic, and loving the solid ride, effortless acceleration and sweet HUD.

I'm trying to figure out some workarounds to the limitations of the rear seat entertainment system, particularly the inability to output video to the front and back screens. After a search through several forums and google, i couldn't find a concrete answer to my biggest question:
Does the older iphone 4 Snap-in adapter (which allows video output through the CIC) allow for it to be used as a source for video in the rear screens?

I'm tempted to track down an snap-in adapter and just roll the dice, but curious to know if anyone has gotten this to work. My Iphone 6 works great with Bluetooth and the ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps/ Gopro App, but i'm not super confident about an eventual iphone 6 adapter. My understanding is that an iphone 5 will not output video whatsoever due to the lightning connection, so i figured i'd try and reuse my old 4.

I've seen some workarounds using Lighting to VGA or HDMI cables and routing it in through the RCA input in the Rear Entertainment Console, but ideally i'd like to find something that would result in the ability (after DVDinMotion of course) for my wife and baby to watch the same movie on both CIC and Rear Screens during a long road trip.

Thanks for the help gang! Happy to finally be a BMW Owner!
Appreciate 0