2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Normal Auto v Sports Auto

02-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I never use the paddles, but do like the sports mode in SAT (the toggle switch Sports mode, not the shifter moved over to the right)

Do non-SAT cars still have a sports mode on the toggle switch which increases throttle sensitivity and makes shift faster (without moving the shifter to the right and having the gears held for longer)?

Always wanted to know this!
This also puzzles me!!

Gearstick to the left (in the uk) holds it in each gear longer?

Sports mode on the toggle switch increases throttle response?

Never quite sure which one does which either
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #24
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
This also puzzles me!!

Gearstick to the left (in the uk) holds it in each gear longer?

Sports mode on the toggle switch increases throttle response?

Never quite sure which one does which either
Sorry, I also meant to the LEFT.

I can tell you the difference between the 2 sports modes on my SAT car with VDC, but just wondered if it's the same on non SAT cars and non VDC cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I never use the paddles, but do like the sports mode in SAT (the toggle switch Sports mode, not the shifter moved over to the right)

Do non-SAT cars still have a sports mode on the toggle switch which increases throttle sensitivity and makes shift faster (without moving the shifter to the right and having the gears held for longer)?

Throttle and gearbox are linked together as "Drivetrain". Steering and suspension (VDC or AD) as "Chassis". You can configure either option, or both, for the Sport mode.

If you only check chassis in iDrive sport configuration, then moving to Sport mode only changes the steering and active suspension (if fitted). Toggle to Sport+ mode and the drivetrain is also changed along with DTC being activated. Drivetrain therefore moves up a notch to the Sport mode drivetrain program, which includes the Sport mode throttle mapping.

If drivetrain is checked (with or without chassis), then Sport mode changes the drivetrain mapping, gearbox and throttle.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #26
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

Throttle and gearbox are linked together as "Drivetrain". Steering and suspension (VDC or AD) as "Chassis". You can configure either option, or both, for the Sport mode.

If you only check chassis in iDrive sport configuration, then moving to Sport mode only changes the steering and active suspension (if fitted). Toggle to Sport+ mode and the drivetrain is also changed along with DTC being activated. Drivetrain therefore moves up a notch to the Sport mode drivetrain program, which includes the Sport mode throttle mapping.

If drivetrain is checked (with or without chassis), then Sport mode changes the drivetrain mapping, gearbox and throttle.
thanks. So this is a non-SAT car you are describing?

sounds like it's exactly the same as my SAT with VDC.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you the difference between the 2 sports modes on my SAT car with VDC, but just wondered if it's the same on non SAT cars and non VDC cars.
Depends on the configuration, as to whether the 2 sports modes are different, as described in my previous post. If you are running both Drivetrain and Chassis, Sport+ simply activates DTC.

From my experience there are differences between SAT and non SAT setups.

I back to back tested two F10 models where the only key difference in the drivetrain/chassis was the gearbox. I found the SAT model had more of a change to the steering, than the non SAT model, when using Sport mode. Felt a much better and tighter setup.

Was a key reason I wanted the SAT option, along with the active suspension.

Using the shifter in M/S position is different again to using Sport mode, even with the SAT option. Raises the gearbox thresholds to another level.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I back to back tested two F10 models where the only key difference in the drivetrain/chassis was the gearbox. I found the SAT model had more of a change to the steering, than the non SAT model, when using Sport mode. Felt a much better and tighter setup.
Thank you - this is what I wanted to know. I never tested a non-SAT F10, and as I don't use the paddles. I was curious as to whether, for me and others who don't paddle, what other differences there are in the overall setup. I suspected it was as you describe, but wanted to hear from someone who has driven both
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I am still confused.....

I have a car without the SAT and paddles.

My reading of this is that you can configure what the toggle button does in the cars set up via the idrive controller? Is this correct?

i.e. you can configure it to either just tighten up the steering and suspension, or it can be configured to do this, along with the throttle response and gear changes?

If you opt for the latter, what does moving the gear stick to M/S mode do?

finally, anyone recorded what impact all of this has on fuel consumption? Is it significant, or so negligible
as to not worry about?

Last edited by ScottC25; 02-21-2016 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:33 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think I am still confused.....

I have a car without the SAT and paddles.

My reading of this is that you can configure what the toggle button does in the cars set up via the idrive controller? Is this correct?

i.e. you can configure it to either just tighten up the steering and suspension, or it can be configured to do this, along with the throttle response and gear changes?

If you opt for the latter, what does moving the gear stick to M/S mode do?

finally, anyone recorded what impact all of this has on fuel consumption? Is it significant, or so negligible
as to not worry about?
Do you have the screen menu options when you toggle to Sport mode? Screen display can be disabled, (if not showing, check its status). The other option to configure is in the Settings menu under Sport mode, check what options you have.

Sport mode and M/S position is different programming in models I've driven, M/S in addition to Sport mode elevates the shift points even more. I see Sport mode gearbox programming as a sort of 'half-way' mode to M/S. Often observed that you get a further down shift when you move the shifter to M/S position while in Sport mode. Experiment and see the differences.

Fuel consumption, that is individual, as it's dependant on how hard you work Sport mode, using it often will widen the consumption difference. But assume any constant increase in rpm will take a toll on consumption. Sport mode typically locks out 8th gear, so there will be an impact unless you drive manual mode to engage 8th on a cruise, for example.

There may be differences in later models with second generation gearboxes, as software and programming is enhanced.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:00 AM   #31
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

There isn't a sport mode in the settings anywhere at all. So I'm guessing that its not something that can be altered in a car that doesn't have the SAT option.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
There isn't a sport mode in the settings anywhere at all. So I'm guessing that its not something that can be altered in a car that doesn't have the SAT option.
Ah! So you have sport features bunched into one function. I'm guessing you don't have any other options which add the configurable Sport mode.

The last BMW I drove with the standard auto was a 3-series 320d. That example didn't have any options, so had the simple (non configurable) Sport mode function, gearbox, throttle and steering all together. In fact not a lot of difference to the sport setting in that example.
Appreciate 0