2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Steering

09-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
Clint-dog
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (2020)/Audi TT Quattro

Steering

I have recently taken delivery of a new 520d SE. Delighted with the car but I had a problem with the steering (heavy and jerky it drove like a car pre power assisted). It went back to the garage and they replaced the steering box. The jerky action has been cured, i.e. it is now smooth but I still feel the steering is still heavy as compared to a loan 5 series car I had previously, also I do not notice any difference in the steering between comfort and sport. Before I go back to the garage again I thought I would ask for your input on the following:

- Should there be a noticeable difference between Sport and Comfort?
- Is the steering heavy compared to 'other' cars?
- As the steering is electrical can BMW change the settings?

Your help would be much appreciated

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

If you coming from an E60 5 series or X drive car the steering should feel very light as the F10 is electric while X cars and E 60 hydraulic. if compared to F10, makes sure the wheels are same, i.e. size and type before judging the feel, mind you even with this factor in place it should be similar feel not easy to pick on, one last part to check is the tyres pressure for your front wheels is as it should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re steering "weight" , I can feel a difference between comfort and sport but its subtle and only noticed at higher speeds. At lower speeds, I find it difficult to detect. Can't compare to a E60 as I've never driven one but I find the steering light compared to the previous E39.

If you drive at say 60/70mph and switch between the modes you should be able to tell.

Just wondering if as a result of having the steering box replaced, software has also ben updated which might explain differences? My car is a 2012 and I've not driven any newer models so not sure if BMW may have changed any parameters or not.

You can also make the steering heavier (as per sport mode) if you switch off the DSC completely whilst still in comfort mode.(whether you want to drive around with that off is another matter though!)

I would personally love to have the E39 steering feel on my F10.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Interesting,the steering on mine sometimes feels a bit jerky, hard to notice - but it is there. If I take it in, they will just say that they cant feel it.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

The steering weight only changes if you have servotronic steering, this was not standard on earlier cars. Might be worth checking if your car has this...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

I thought other than possibly software ,there were no physical changes to the f10 throughout it's lifetime?
are they not all servotronic?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I have a 2015 F10 with electric power steering and it's horrible, and although there is an improvement in sport mode it is hardly noticeable. I find there feels to be a vagueness around the straight ahead position, small corrections do feel jerky, and long straight roads (ie motorways) always feel like there are side winds calling for lots of these slight jerky corrections, it certainly isn't pleasant to use.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep

yes I have mentioned in other untelated posts , my personal view is that the steering is one of the 2 features that lets down what is otherwise a very good car. Your opinion may vary depending upon what you have driven before, coming from a E39 which i thought had nigh on perfect steering , I'm let dowm although you do get used to it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I have a 2015 F10 with electric power steering and it's horrible, and although there is an improvement in sport mode it is hardly noticeable. I find there feels to be a vagueness around the straight ahead position, small corrections do feel jerky, and long straight roads (ie motorways) always feel like there are side winds calling for lots of these slight jerky corrections, it certainly isn't pleasant to use.
I'm in a 2011 build 535i touring and find the steering is pretty good to be fair. There is a small hint of straight ahead vagueness, but nothing more than my E39 540i. Not much worse than my E91 330d (which I had from new) to be honest. I sense it isn't simply due to slackness in the steering rack itself, but more a combination including the more sophisticated suspension and tyre characteristics. I use a different size winter tyre and there is a touch more vagueness on the winter set.

I find the steering weighting for Comfort and Normal is fine, Sport setting adds heft, but adds nothing to the feel and feedback. I prefer the Comfort/Normal setting as you feel more feedback from the road.

As to steering precision my F11 is fine, as the tyres wore it did lose a bit of accuracy, but tracks straight. I've just fitted a new set of ContiSportContact 3, (direct replacement) and have been down south and back (1,000 miles) and precision is fine, no corrections are needed whatsoever, even on badly rutted sections of motorway. Steering is smooth, always has been, no jerkiness at all.

Jerky steering doesn't sound right to me, has the dealer passed comment? Have you tried another car to compare?

Is the steering wheel position accurate 'dead centre' when driving straight? Any slight deviation can change the straight ahead precision and feel. The rack requires an exact mid position (steering angle sensing) to accurately process all the sensor feedback.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

The steering wheels is spot on & the steering is fine if I'm on winding roads, it's straight roads I find the problem, which I've put down to the fact that the EPS isn't doing anything until it is required eg: driving straight the EPS is doing nothing but when moving the steering (as in a correction) there's a slight delay in assistance so an initial resistance is felt which eases almost immediately as the EPS kicks in - this translates into a feeling of slight jerkiness, whereas in fact it's just the way that the EPS (with BMW Eco settings) works.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
The steering wheels is spot on & the steering is fine if I'm on winding roads, it's straight roads I find the problem, which I've put down to the fact that the EPS isn't doing anything until it is required eg: driving straight the EPS is doing nothing but when moving the steering (as in a correction) there's a slight delay in assistance so an initial resistance is felt which eases almost immediately as the EPS kicks in - this translates into a feeling of slight jerkiness, whereas in fact it's just the way that the EPS (with BMW Eco settings) works.
Thinking about the way you describe the issue, I do wonder if it is a result of trying to tighten up the on-centre position. (A complaint by some users). I've not driven the LCI cars, so all my experience is in the earlier models where I've never experienced the feeling you highlight.

Do you feel it is a more definite on-centre control, a bit like some cars have strong self-centre bias? I understand you point on the EPS being off power until required, surely BMW haven't exaggerated the on-off feel due to that function. I've driven EPS with that feeling, (not BMW) it's horrible, pleased my car isn't inflicted with such a feeling.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #12
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I thought other than possibly software ,there were no physical changes to the f10 throughout it's lifetime?
are they not all servotronic?
No my 2011 does not weight up in sport mode, queried this at the last service and was told that it was because my car doesn't have the servotronic steering.

On a general note I do find the steering lacks feel...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

that certainly begs the question then of which F10s do have it then?

I certainly didn't tick any option for it on my 2012F10 (msport with SAT)

I'm confused then.

Do this weighting up of the steering in sport mode only come with oterh options then> Msport perhaps or Sports auto transmission?

I will have to look at my VO to see if its listed as a standard option then.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
No my 2011 does not weight up in sport mode, queried this at the last service and was told that it was because my car doesn't have the servotronic steering.

On a general note I do find the steering lacks feel...
Don't follow that 5-series come without servotronic??? All F10 UK models had the servotronic at launch back in 2010.

Current spec' list still show it as standard.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
that certainly begs the question then of which F10s do have it then?

I certainly didn't tick any option for it on my 2012F10 (msport with SAT)

I'm confused then.

Do this weighting up of the steering in sport mode only come with other options then> Msport perhaps or Sports auto transmission?

I will have to look at my VO to see if its listed as a standard option then.
My experience, there is a difference with options. I recall a 'back to back' test with two different setups, where one car had SAT the other the standard auto. Toggling to Sport mode in the F10 with SAT make a difference to the steering feel and weighting, the car felt much tighter in the steering. The standard auto model was nothing like it when put in Sport mode.

I've driven an F10 with Adaptive Drive and the standard auto and that changed the steering weighting with Sport mode. My F11 has SAT and AD and that I feel is even more marked when toggling to Sport mode. The suspension and steering changes combine to give more heft and enhances steering agility. The car 'shrinks', more 3-series like in Sport mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 02:02 AM   #16
Clint-dog
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (2020)/Audi TT Quattro

Since posting this question I have driven another 5 series (F10 - 2015) and concluded mine is the same. I can now get back to enjoying the car as I just needed to be convinced 'all was well'. Thanks for your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine is an M Sport with SAT, I was surprised it doesn't have it either tbh...
Appreciate 0