2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pros and and cons about the 2011-2013 528i

06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Srod428
Rep
Drives: Black with tan interior

Pros and and cons about the 2011-2013 528i

Looking into buying a 5 series, and I just wanted some pros and cons from people who actually own them and not just the reviewers
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The F10 is a wonderful car - IMHO it's probably the best overall BMW sedan, and here's why:

1. Size

Having owned 3-series sedans for 13 years prior to the F10, I can attest to the fun of a smaller BMW sedan. However, I can also attest to the PAIN of trying to carry adult passengers in comfort. The F10 is bigger but not HUGE like a 7-series. It's "just right" if you're at-all concerned about carrying other adults in the car but don't want a land yacht.

2. General Performance

Again, having owned 3-series cars for a long, long time, I know quite well how the 5-series differs. And the first thing I'll say is - don't listen to the noise. I spanked my 335, and I'll tell you honestly - there's nothing I did with the 335 that the F10 won't do. Psychologically, I think drivers sense that the F10 is bigger, it's heavier, etc, and therefore their confidence drops in really pushing it hard. But take one out on a twisty road, and man, it won't disappoint. I've come home several times with my car smelling like burning rubber from pushing it hard, and never ONCE have a felt a lack of control, stability, or willingness. Put simply - you're never going to reach this car's limits on the road unless you're driving with complete blatant disregard for your life.

3. Suspension

If you want a permanently sportier ride, opt for the passive sport suspension. If you want control over how stiff/soft the ride is at any given point, opt for the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP). DHP is one of the things I truly love most about the F10. It gives you multiple personalities in one car. If you don't opt for either of the above, the standard suspension will give you a bit of a cushy ride - many feel it's not very BMW-like in the pre-LCI cars... so, I'd stay away from it.

4. Luxury

The previous generation 5-series had arguably more in common with the 3 series than the 7. That's now changed, and I think you'll see (everywhere from styling through features) the current 5 has significantly more in common with its big brother than its little brother. From a sportiness perspective, some have argued that it's a negative - styling is a bit more conservative, and creature comforts and amenities have clearly taken priority in some cases. But I find it highly rewarding. Essentially you're getting 7-series luxury and options (minus a few) in a smaller package with more sporting character. The F10 also shares a chassis in common with the 7 and the Rolls Royce Ghost - superb body stiffness, sound deadening, and ride comfort. Plus, if you want even more pampering, opt for the luxury seats, and you can't go wrong.

5. Engine

I've not driven the 528 (6 or 4), but the 535's N55 and 550's N63/tu are as you'd expect from BMW - silky smooth, powerful, and responsive throughout the power band. While I haven't driven the 528, obviously the biggest concern would be power for the size/weight of the car. It's likely plenty for cruising, but on paper it sounds a bit underwhelming if you're looking for some bite. The 535 is probably the best "bang for the buck" as it combines strong performance with respectable gas mileage. You'll need to judge whether the savings (especially with smaller gaps on pre-owned cars) for the 528 would be worth it. And last but not least, the 550's V8 is loads of fun - but if you're buying pre-LCI, I think I'd still opt for the N55 in the 535 just due to longer-term reliability concerns.

Overall, the F10 is just a wonderful car, and like I said - probably the best OVERALL sedan BMW currently offers. If you want something balls-to-the-wall performance oriented, an M3 is clearly a better choice. Or if you wanted pure luxury, the 7. But I think the 5 offers a really nice blend of both worlds and really sacrifices very little from both ends of the spectrum.

Good luck with your hunt!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
The F10 is a wonderful car - IMHO it's probably the best overall BMW sedan, and here's why:

1. Size

Having owned 3-series sedans for 13 years prior to the F10, I can attest to the fun of a smaller BMW sedan. However, I can also attest to the PAIN of trying to carry adult passengers in comfort. The F10 is bigger but not HUGE like a 7-series. It's "just right" if you're at-all concerned about carrying other adults in the car but don't want a land yacht.

2. General Performance

Again, having owned 3-series cars for a long, long time, I know quite well how the 5-series differs. And the first thing I'll say is - don't listen to the noise. I spanked my 335, and I'll tell you honestly - there's nothing I did with the 335 that the F10 won't do. Psychologically, I think drivers sense that the F10 is bigger, it's heavier, etc, and therefore their confidence drops in really pushing it hard. But take one out on a twisty road, and man, it won't disappoint. I've come home several times with my car smelling like burning rubber from pushing it hard, and never ONCE have a felt a lack of control, stability, or willingness. Put simply - you're never going to reach this car's limits on the road unless you're driving with complete blatant disregard for your life.

3. Suspension

If you want a permanently sportier ride, opt for the passive sport suspension. If you want control over how stiff/soft the ride is at any given point, opt for the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP). DHP is one of the things I truly love most about the F10. It gives you multiple personalities in one car. If you don't opt for either of the above, the standard suspension will give you a bit of a cushy ride - many feel it's not very BMW-like in the pre-LCI cars... so, I'd stay away from it.

4. Luxury

The previous generation 5-series had arguably more in common with the 3 series than the 7. That's now changed, and I think you'll see (everywhere from styling through features) the current 5 has significantly more in common with its big brother than its little brother. From a sportiness perspective, some have argued that it's a negative - styling is a bit more conservative, and creature comforts and amenities have clearly taken priority in some cases. But I find it highly rewarding. Essentially you're getting 7-series luxury and options (minus a few) in a smaller package with more sporting character. The F10 also shares a chassis in common with the 7 and the Rolls Royce Ghost - superb body stiffness, sound deadening, and ride comfort. Plus, if you want even more pampering, opt for the luxury seats, and you can't go wrong.

5. Engine

I've not driven the 528 (6 or 4), but the 535's N55 and 550's N63/tu are as you'd expect from BMW - silky smooth, powerful, and responsive throughout the power band. While I haven't driven the 528, obviously the biggest concern would be power for the size/weight of the car. It's likely plenty for cruising, but on paper it sounds a bit underwhelming if you're looking for some bite. The 535 is probably the best "bang for the buck" as it combines strong performance with respectable gas mileage. You'll need to judge whether the savings (especially with smaller gaps on pre-owned cars) for the 528 would be worth it. And last but not least, the 550's V8 is loads of fun - but if you're buying pre-LCI, I think I'd still opt for the N55 in the 535 just due to longer-term reliability concerns.

Overall, the F10 is just a wonderful car, and like I said - probably the best OVERALL sedan BMW currently offers. If you want something balls-to-the-wall performance oriented, an M3 is clearly a better choice. Or if you wanted pure luxury, the 7. But I think the 5 offers a really nice blend of both worlds and really sacrifices very little from both ends of the spectrum.

Good luck with your hunt!
great write up!

i have owned a 32xi8 in the past and even though it did feel "sportier" i am much happier with the 528xi. much more comfortable, interior is MUCH nicer, and still enough power to have just a little bit of fun. i would even say that it is probably the best daily driver out there.
Appreciate 0