2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Has anyone bought www.DVDinmotion.com software?

05-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #133
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d GT

GestapoWatch - technically, it is possible to retrofit it (i'm 100% sure), but TV tuner is a different hardware part and it is quite pricy.
However, i've seen DVB module for F07/F10 available to buy on ebay.de (and they also could install it)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #134
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is there anyone with internet-enabled (614 option) car already in possession?

I'm still trying to understand is it enabled for the UK or not (i've got 'internet' option enabled in the menu but always seeing 'internet is not available in this country' error)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #135
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I have an internet enabled car in my possession. After a few teething problems it is working fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #136
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

SS14 - thank you for the answer, for sure i forgotten to ask about UK owners )

The reason why i'm asking - looks like there are some regional limitation exists...

Anyway - the main question is - is your car also equipped by BMW telematics (BMW Assist) with built-in SIM card? Looks like (at least in UK) the internet option is working through the internal telematics but not smartphone for example (that's why only EDGE is supported)

"Option 614 – Internet.
Technical Limitations.
• Flash/Silverlight/Java features are not supported. Some websites cannot
be displayed correctly, or have problems with specific features (e.g. login
services).
• The in-car central processing unit (CPU) is slow, the maximum
connection speed is via an Edge data transfer rate, the fallback uses a
standard GPRS data transfer rate. Some websites will not perform as
expected and may have display errors on the Control Display. Web
browsing is slower than on a PC with a broadband connection.
• The in-car browser cannot display Asian characters.”"
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #137
HurlingFrootmig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 2011

@dvdinmotion

Is there a way for your software to modify the DVD region code of the in-car DVD system, not only in the front but also for the Rear Entertainment System Professional?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #138
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Ordered from these guys today, excellent prompt service, personal email from them too to confirm all ok... Top Service
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #139
barney1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
SS14 - thank you for the answer, for sure i forgotten to ask about UK owners )

The reason why i'm asking - looks like there are some regional limitation exists...

Anyway - the main question is - is your car also equipped by BMW telematics (BMW Assist) with built-in SIM card? Looks like (at least in UK) the internet option is working through the internal telematics but not smartphone for example (that's why only EDGE is supported)

"Option 614 – Internet.
Technical Limitations.
• Flash/Silverlight/Java features are not supported. Some websites cannot
be displayed correctly, or have problems with specific features (e.g. login
services).
• The in-car central processing unit (CPU) is slow, the maximum
connection speed is via an Edge data transfer rate, the fallback uses a
standard GPRS data transfer rate. Some websites will not perform as
expected and may have display errors on the Control Display. Web
browsing is slower than on a PC with a broadband connection.
• The in-car browser cannot display Asian characters.”"
I am in the UK and have a 5 day old 520D with Option 614. It works fine when the car is stopped but is quite slow as per the limitations above.

When the car is moving you get the usual message about the functionality being disabled for safety reasons.

I also have the BMW assist package which includeds BMW on line. This gives access to weather, news etc and a limited google search - this works all the time but you have to click through a warning message advising you to only operate it if safe to do so. This does seem somewhat contradictory to me.

If DVDINMOTION has a fix for the 614 internet option I am happy to test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #140
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

barney1 - thank you for the information!

But may i ask you some questions?

1) have you got BMW assist / telematics enabled (online services like weather, rss, google search, etc)?
2) are you using your smartphone to access internet (browser) or built-in telematics?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #141
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Shapa. I have professional nav. We do not have BMW assist. As far as I know all of the Aussie cars are Euro spec so I suspect very similar to yours.

All I had to do is turn on the personal hotspot option on my iphone, then check for available services in the car, internet was available, and then I was able to connect.

Interstingly on my X5, which is also equipped with internet, I could not make it work before I enabled the personal hotspot option in the phone. Now that is working fine too.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #142
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

SS14 - thank you for the info

But it is really a big difference when BMW assist is enabled as it is completely different approach to access the internet for the head unit...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #143
barney1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
barney1 - thank you for the information!

But may i ask you some questions?

1) have you got BMW assist / telematics enabled (online services like weather, rss, google search, etc)?
2) are you using your smartphone to access internet (browser) or built-in telematics?
Shapa

Yes I have BMW Assist enabled but I think BMW now call it ConnectedDrive. I get the news, weather, rss, etc via the BMW online option. There is a seperate menu option for the internet. I can post a photo of the idrive screen if it helps

I don't have an iphone but use a BB Bold 9780. The car accesses the internet via a built in sim card as far as I am aware. It works even if the phone isn't in the car. I have the 6NR option but this seems to be only compatible with an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #144
barney1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Shapa

Just found this
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 614.pdf (629.5 KB, 6768 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #145
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

barney1, thank you very much.

Finally i'm confident that internet is enabled for the UK and it is not linked to the smartphone here (and it should not be).

Therefore, i've got only one more thing to try - to update my head unit software to the latest version, as it is really possible that my version is not allowing to use browser in the UK (showing the error message) (you should have 11.1.4 or even 11.2 which is going to be available officially in a few weeks)

Or, finally, BMW is blocking an access on the proxy servers and there is nothing to do with that (only may be try to use smartphone to access internet but i'm not really sure it is possible to do simultaneously with ConnectedDrive)

The question is also - could you please PM your VIN number (i'd like to compare the details of the configurations - are there any differences in the options besides 614) - but for sure in case you don't like to do that this is not a problem...

Anyway this info is not a secret one and anyone is able to see that on the windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #146
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney1 View Post
Shapa

Just found this

Barney - great post! All my queries about this option are answered! So thanks for uploading the document. Where did you get this from? It is obviously aimed at the dealer.

Is there one for each BMW feature/option?

Dont suppose you have one on Surround View?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #147
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, excellent documentation! Thank you so much.

It helps me to release that probably i'm coded internet option a bit wrong way...

Looking for any UK (internet-enabled) car VIN number to check that (just need to look at extended options list)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #148
GestapoWatch
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport, Alpinweiss

Quote:
Yes, excellent documentation! Thank you so much.

It helps me to release that probably i'm coded internet option a bit wrong way...

Looking for any UK (internet-enabled) car VIN number to check that (just need to look at extended options list)
It also potentiallty shows that Customer Servces (UK) told me a complete pack of lies when saying Internet cannot be retrofitted/enabled

Keep going shapa... KEEP GOING
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #149
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, i'm not the only one who is working on - dvdinmotion is also going to try to help

But currently we are really close to understand is it possible at all or not (the only reason could be is that BMW blocking cars without 614-option purchased)

Once again, the thing which is really important now - to know VIN of an officially-equipped car to carefully check all hardware / software options installed
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #150
barney1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3FXD View Post
Barney - great post! All my queries about this option are answered! So thanks for uploading the document. Where did you get this from? It is obviously aimed at the dealer.

Is there one for each BMW feature/option?

Dont suppose you have one on Surround View?
I don't have one for surrond view but I guess the dealers do. The problem is getting them to give you a copy

Here are the ones I have
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2011_BMW_Assist_Brochure[1][1].pdf (2.54 MB, 370 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_APPS_Intro.pdf (196.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: pdf F10-F11 Black Panel Display.pdf (175.1 KB, 349 views)
File Type: pdf Option 6NR - Mobile application preparation_8.pdf (1.61 MB, 291 views)
File Type: pdf Option 610 HUD - colour.pdf (117.8 KB, 270 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #151
barney1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well, i'm not the only one who is working on - dvdinmotion is also going to try to help

But currently we are really close to understand is it possible at all or not (the only reason could be is that BMW blocking cars without 614-option purchased)

Once again, the thing which is really important now - to know VIN of an officially-equipped car to carefully check all hardware / software options installed
Shapa

I think that the access is blocked by the proxy server as it checks the VIN numbers for the offcial option 614 code
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #152
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Barney - probably it is true, but there is some chance still exists - i'm seeing this error message instantly (without any delay) and (which is much more interesting) there are some american cars imported to the Russia and able to access internet without official option enabled (but with US telematics)

Also, when i'm updating my services i see in the service status that internet is available, and (in fact) ConnectedDrive services is the single package...

Last edited by maxmm; 06-01-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #153
maxmm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, at least we found one option which should not be enabled for the UK (EU) cars but should be for USA and Russia.

Tomorrow going to try to re-code head unit and combox without this option, keep fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #154
Hustjo
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540xi M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
Ordered from these guys today, excellent prompt service, personal email from them too to confirm all ok... Top Service
did u get the DAB activation too ?
Appreciate 0