2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New 520d....BMW Online not working

02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 123d M Sport Coupe

New 520d....BMW Online not working

I picked up a 2012 520d ED last week...one of the ex Olympic fleet. Only 1000 miles on the clock and the price they are selling them for seemed too good to ignore.

It's Sophisto Grey/Black Dakota with a good number of extra's, and I'm loving the comfort, quality and refinement so far.

I traded my 123d M-Sport Coupe for it, which was remapped to 240bhp and 500Nm, so it's not quite got the performance but I'm not finding it lacking and it goes quite well when not in Eco mode :-)

My work journey is 70 miles a day mostly on motorways at a restricted 50 or 60 so it's ideal for this purpose, economical, luxurious and more comfortable than my 1 series.

Anyway, it's been back to the dealer's today as I can't get BMW Online or any of the remote Connected drive facilities to work.

I have set up a new Connected drive account, and registered it online. After 4 calls to BMW they suggested I took it too a dealer as they couldn't see anything wrong.

The dealer have had it all day, can see there is a problem, but don't know how to fix it so have raised a case in their Puma system with BMW Germany.

The symptoms are that I can't send anything remotely to the car (Google maps, My Info) etc, can't use the remote phone app, and can't access the BMW online menu or any of the online facilities in the car (It comes up with a message saying "Activate Data Services for Bluetooth Device or contact Service" - see attached). This implies to me it is trying to use my phone for BMW Online and not the SIM in the car.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?, I'm just hoping this isn't going to be one of those issues where the car is back and forth to the dealer. The idrive and connected drive worked fine in my 123d and I didn't have a problem with that car in 3 1/2 years of ownership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Awaghorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 (F10 on order!)

Couple of things you could try:
- It's not that obvious for some of the online stuff that you need to put your username and password in (i.e. it doesn't prompt if you haven't done so). If you keep pushing right on the iDrive controller in one of the BMW online menus it should have an option to enter these details.
- There is an option to update online services in the BMW Online menu (sorry can't remember exactly where). Not sure if you can get that far given your error but worth a try.
- Also in the options menu (all the way to the right with the controller) I sometimes get an option to select to use my phone for data. Appreciate you aren't wanting to do this but might be worth kicking temporarily in case in needs that initial connection to get sorted?

My 520 (albeit new purchase) worked 'out of the box', except I still can't get the find my car feature in the iphone app to work. Everything else is fine, including remote headlight flash etc but for some reason that won't work. I need to call BMW about it as last time I spoke to them they suggested I reinstalled the (which I have) or that it was a 'signal problem' which is clearly nonsense given the other features all work.

HTH

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Haven't read that you've connected an activated / approved iPhone to the USB or in the phone cradle?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

You need to go online, create a username and password, then have this linked to your car (VIN) and wait for 24 hours. That is what I did when I purchased my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the comments.

Andrew - good point re having to put the online password in - I hadn't done that, so found it and tried it but it made no difference, I got another error message.

I can't get in to the BMW ONline menu - the screenshot is the error I get, and I have tried ticking and un-ticking the use my phone for data box.

I havent got a phone attached to the USB, but didn't think that was necessary as it is connected via bluetooth but will give it a try.

I do have an online account linked to my VIN, which was set up last week and BMW says looks ok. I can send stuff to the car, but it doesn't seem to receive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Looks like there's no in-car SIM installed. Perhaps it was a cost-saving on the olympic fleet?
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
boinging
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche (but I like it here)

I've also go ex-Olympic and it took a while 24 -36 hours for the system to work once I'd got my username etc.

As above you have to enter your username and password in the car menu and also download an update for the car. This seemed to then bring all the online services through.

The app works well sending places to the car and also the locate the car is a bit sporadic in working on the app.

Does anyone know what network the sim in the car runs off? It could be you don't have signal in your area for the sim? Maybe try driving it somewhere else and going through the set up process? (I did have a phone connected via Bluetooth when I did mine but not sure if that made any difference?!)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Looks like there's no in-car SIM installed. Perhaps it was a cost-saving on the olympic fleet?
I thought that, but I can call the emergency service number from the car and it rings. Am thinking maybe the SIM isn't data enabled but that would be strange.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinging View Post
I've also go ex-Olympic and it took a while 24 -36 hours for the system to work once I'd got my username etc.

As above you have to enter your username and password in the car menu and also download an update for the car. This seemed to then bring all the online services through.

The app works well sending places to the car and also the locate the car is a bit sporadic in working on the app.

Does anyone know what network the sim in the car runs off? It could be you don't have signal in your area for the sim? Maybe try driving it somewhere else and going through the set up process? (I did have a phone connected via Bluetooth when I did mine but not sure if that made any difference?!)
Thanks - I've had the username a week now so it should work!

I believe they are Voda SIM's from articles I've read on the web.

Considering BMW had the car for a day, along with my username and password, you would have thought they would have tried all the obvious stuff so either it is something obscure, or they have missed something!

I'll keep trying things until I hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
rajuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320ED

Managed to get working

Hello

I spoke to my dealer and this is a common problem

One has to apply an update

You do this via the i drive and use the option under connected drive thats says mY services-- and then click on UPDATE services in car

It then works
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
rajuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320ED

Hi Gareth I tried sendong a PM but a sa new member i cant send or receive them
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by garreth64
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I thought that, but I can call the emergency service number from the car and it rings. Am thinking maybe the SIM isn't data enabled but that would be strange.
All he internal data worked on all the Olympic BMW I drove, they used if for updating routes live if there was any problems... I had some issues with my on 523i, it used to forget where we were going or put my 50 yards to the left or right of my actual position... Have you tried the reset/reboot option? I can remember it exactly, it is on the forum somewhere but it help with the hesitating auto I had....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep

A bit of an update on this, my car is booked in next week for a whole week at BMW's request for them to go through a series of diagnostics. They said it may not take a week but better to have it booked in an for me to have a loan car, as if they have to order a new combox it could take a couple of days to arrive.

However, last night driving home, I noticed that I had real time traffic information appearing for the first time, so I checked the Connected drive and online menu's and everything is now working. I have also tried sending google maps to the car, and the BMW remote phone app and everything works.

I've contacted the dealer, and I'm waiting to find out if it has just magically started working, or whether BMW have done something remotely. They did tell me last week that BMW had been trying to contact the car remotely but it had failed.
Appreciate 0