2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Paint damage

04-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
morkjt
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d Auto Deep Sea Blu

Paint damage

Not a specific F10 question, so apologies, but I parked my 6 month old 520d under a tree at a train station last week, not realising spring had resulted in it being a favourite spot for bird's to sit and do their business.

I got back after a reasonable hot day for the UK, with the bonnet encrusted in yellow white crap - had been there probably 11-12 hours.....you can see where this is going right?

Anyways, after a good wash, there were horrible stains all over the bonnet which no amount of graft could remove - almost like the marks were "under" the paint.

I took some advice of an auto-detailer and bought some metallic "T-Cut" - to be fair, it did a good job and after a few hard hours of elbow graft, the stains are absolutely minimal - a passer by would not notice unless they started examining the paintwork at different angles in the light.

But of course - I know it's there, and depending on the light, i can see it.

Really annoyed by it - anyone got any suggestions - otherwise, I'm tempted to try and get the bonnet re-sprayed.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by morkjt View Post
Not a specific F10 question, so apologies, but I parked my 6 month old 520d under a tree at a train station last week, not realising spring had resulted in it being a favourite spot for bird's to sit and do their business.

I got back after a reasonable hot day for the UK, with the bonnet encrusted in yellow white crap - had been there probably 11-12 hours.....you can see where this is going right?

Anyways, after a good wash, there were horrible stains all over the bonnet which no amount of graft could remove - almost like the marks were "under" the paint.

I took some advice of an auto-detailer and bought some metallic "T-Cut" - to be fair, it did a good job and after a few hard hours of elbow graft, the stains are absolutely minimal - a passer by would not notice unless they started examining the paintwork at different angles in the light.

But of course - I know it's there, and depending on the light, i can see it.

Really annoyed by it - anyone got any suggestions - otherwise, I'm tempted to try and get the bonnet re-sprayed.

NO NO DONT GET A RESPRAY BONNET UNLESS WE ARE TALKING DESPERATE

Have you tried Auto Glym Paint Renvator Polish , Give it a good go with that,
Then Use Auto Glym Wax/Polish After it should to a good job....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Jacky328
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 535 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
NO NO DONT GET A RESPRAY BONNET UNLESS WE ARE TALKING DESPERATE

Have you tried Auto Glym Paint Renvator Polish , Give it a good go with that,
Then Use Auto Glym Wax/Polish After it should to a good job....
I face same problem it happen only after a week I received the car and the car have a heavy wax coated by dealer(BMWHk).
Tried Meguiars Clearer & polish wax. It did a good job but still noticeable.
Hope your suggestion will help Morkjt
      04-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

A few years ago I had the same thing on the roof of my ex E90 330i. My dealer cleaned/polished the roof for me (without $$$) and the stains were gone.

The usual suspects.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
My car is at the detailer this weekend for the same thing. Hopefully he gets most of it out. Tried a diy and I can still see it. So, off to the detailer coz I can't stand seeing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Shouldn't have to paint the bonnet. You should be able to be remove using a DA or a rotary, depending on how bad it is, some paint will need to be removed. It's called etching, and is caused by bird droppings or hard water. No amount of hand polishing will be able to remove this. You can't generate enough speed or heat, even if you're 14. Probably looks like this...

04-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
540.M5.550
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Had a similar problem...an errant sprinkler covered my entire hood on a 105 degree day for the entire day and burned the spots into the paint....had to have it detailed professionally. Apparently BMW Jet Black is really soft.

See link...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...4.157160866132
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

As others have said. A professional detailer will get these marks out no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540.M5.550 View Post
Had a similar problem...an errant sprinkler covered my entire hood on a 105 degree day for the entire day and burned the spots into the paint....had to have it detailed professionally. Apparently BMW Jet Black is really soft.

See link...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...4.157160866132
The water in SoCal, is very hard. I've seen that guys work on the Meguiars forums. Richard Lin, I believe is the owner. Jet Black, like a very hot girl, is the best looking but also the most maintenance. I had it once and never again. Trying to keep dirt off it was like trying not to get sand on yourself at the beach, keeping it clean was like a second job.
If you're inclined a basic starter DA polishing kit can do most of the work. Or if you're lazy, have no time, or just don't need another hobby, take it to a pro.