2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 10th billion Sprint Booster review

01-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
For the 10th billion time, here's another Sprint Booster review and some tips on how to install it without breaking your shit like me. The reason I bought this is because I thought I was dealing with lag. Got it tuned, still lagged. Had the throttle reprogrammed via DME several times, still lag. Got a DP, lag, multiple exhaust configurations, lag. It really narrowed down to not having a lag issue, but a throttle delay problem. I could never blip the engine on one press. I could floor it and nothing happens. It would take me 2 times, like pumping the throttle to get it to rev hard.

There are a lot of naysayers, but none that have actually owned one. Believe me I was skeptical too. I went outside of the bmw world and read about them on all kinds of cars. All the people who actually owned them, praised them. The people who didn't just said, "mash the pedal harder". I was kinda of the "mash the pedal harder" person too. I was even told by some very good mechanics that's SB is bullshit.

Lucky for me Christmas happened so I requested gift certificates to my favorite tuning store. Ordered it since it has a 30 day guarantee. Installed it in a parking lot one night waiting for my wife. About a 15 minute install. Basic tools. There are DIYs out there that tell you how to remove your pedal. The only thing that is different from my e90 was the plug to the throttle, its at an angle. There are 2 clips one on each side. The one on the inside requires tiny lady fingers. I could not get my finger in there or so I thought. I figured it was a release clip on the visible side. Flat head screw driver pressing down on it while pulling broke that immediately. With a flash light and closer look, I just jammed my finger into the other side and was able to depress the clip and remove it.

Plugged in the SB, ran the cable up the side panel of the foot well after unscrewing one Philips screw, tucked the wire in there, reattach panel, double stick tape the button in a low key spot and job complete.

I started in red mode, blip the the pedal and still a delay. I was like, "oh man this thing is useless". Then I remembered a video where someone held the throttle at about 1500rpm, switched modes and the rpm went up automatically. This at least told me it was working. Popped into red mode, hit the streets and immediately it felt super strong. I could feather the pedal and it was like pressing 3/4 of the way, but the engine wasn't screaming like when you floor it. Very excited and knew this was going to be good. Tried green mode and still very peppy, it reminded me of sport mode in my e90. Turned it off and it felt sluggish with throttle delay. Green mode removes about 80% delay, red it's gone and whips your head. Red could be very jerky if you don't know how to finesse your pedal.

Some people that talked good about it said it didn't make sense at the track since you'll be flooring it most of the time anyway. That told me that if this worked, it's the perfect street application. Indeed it's a must for the street, but it continues to kick butt in red mode on the freeway. It basically is getting you to boost targets faster then stock or tune. Again, it gets you there faster with less pedal and your engine is not screaming like an angry beaver on the road all the time. Because it gets me to boost targets faster, I'm a purging on every gear shift, and with my DV+ it sounds pretty awesome.

Red mode= no wife or family in the car
Green mode = maybe wife, and need to quickly pass on the freeway or street
Off = kids in the car

I'm pretty sure this is awesome even without a tune. BT-dubs, this is a tune. I don't care what people think, this is a tune for your throttle. If tricking your maf for more psi is a tune, then tricking your throttle position to get to boost targets faster is a tune. If advancing your timing is a tune then sending a higher voltage to your TB is a tune. Trust me, this is nothing like flooring it. SB really is performing in a way that is unique, consistent and strong. Its unleashing your cars full potential tuned or not by removing the inherent throttle delay that the factory programs in. When I say consistent I mean green and red mode guarantee the same launch every time. I have a manual and that was not easy for me.

Side note: I have a modded CDV that helps with the launch too, but even if I didn't this is a very noticeable upgrade. That said, the two very noticeable upgrades for me has been a tune and now the SB. Everything else has been, meh.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Additional photos.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sweet review Bro!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #4
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

interesting - good review.

so worth getting one then?
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser
interesting - good review.

so worth getting one then?
100%

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I was looking at this online yesterday. Couldn't make up my mind as I had not seen too many reviews on the current 535i. Your review pushed me off the fence and will order it today.
Could you take a couple of more pics on how you attached it to the dash in daylight when you get a chance? Thx!

Last edited by Noncom23; 01-13-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

I had one in my E60 535 for years and now have one in my F10 535.

It's awesome and if you drive it easy, your gas mileage can improve to.

People who knock this little inexpensive mod need to try it out for themselves instead of saying " Just push on the gas harder "

Good write up
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noncom23
I was looking at this online yesterday. Couldn't make up my mind as I had not seen too many reviews on the current 535i. Your review pushed me off the fence and will order it today.
Could you take a couple of more pics on how you attached it to the dash in daylight when you get a chance? Thx!
Can do. Take a look at the last picture where I'm unscrewing the side panel. Just unscrew that and tuck all the wire in there. Then you can force the cable in between the center console facing you. I'll take pics later today. I leave the thing on red all the time, too much fun.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Can do. Take a look at the last picture where I'm unscrewing the side panel. Just unscrew that and tuck all the wire in there. Then you can force the cable in between the center console facing you. I'll take pics later today. I leave the thing on red all the time, too much fun.
I see what you mean now for the dash now. Great write up and Thanks!

PS: SB on the way and I will report back soon.

Last edited by Noncom23; 01-14-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Some more good updates:

It continues to perform. I want to say it feels like the car shed a good 3-400 hundred pounds and gained 15-20whp. Even though that can't be, thats how big of a difference the throttle response has made. If you don't have the sport+ mode / DHP on your 5er, this is a must. Would definitely like to hear from someone who has sport+ mode and SB combination.

Gonna record 0-60 times in all modes. See if it's a recordable difference.

Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Some more good updates:

It continues to perform. I want to say it feels like the car shed a 3-400 hundred pounds and gained 15-20whp. Even though that can't be, thats how big of a difference the throttle response has made. If you don't have the sport+ mode / DHP on your 5er, this is a must. Would definitely like to hear from someone who has sport+ mode and SB combination.

Man probably on of the best mods I have done to the car. I can't believe how low gear acceleration has improved like 10 times all lag gone. Will have to go to map 5 instead of my high psi custom map 6. Just can't believe the response.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 03:12 AM   #12
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
Some more good updates:

It continues to perform. I want to say it feels like the car shed a 3-400 hundred pounds and gained 15-20whp. Even though that can't be, thats how big of a difference the throttle response has made. If you don't have the sport+ mode / DHP on your 5er, this is a must. Would definitely like to hear from someone who has sport+ mode and SB combination.

Man probably on of the best mods I have done to the car. I can't believe how low gear acceleration has improved like 10 times all lag gone. Will have to go to map 5 instead of my high psi custom map 6. Just can't believe the response.
I know I'm blown away too. How is this not promoted more by other enthusiast on this site? Awesome that you're digging it, I'm still enjoying mine too. It's an absolute must. Any car moving forward is getting a SB regardless of tune.

Side note: it felt like it got better on day 2. Like the car adjusted to the new style of driving.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #13
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Ordered one yesterday based on this thread. Thanks!
      01-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM
Ordered one yesterday based on this thread. Thanks!
You're gonna be wow'd. Give us your review on your 550.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep

FYI, for anyone looking to buy a used SB.

Sprint Booster lists 2 part numbers for our cars, one for the Manual transmission and another for the Auto.

I tried both first hand and found no difference what so ever.

The one that's currently in my car is from a manual 328i and it works exactly the same as the Auto specific model.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
You're gonna be wow'd. Give us your review on your 550.
I'll do that. I'm due for a write up on the new car anyway.
      01-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey
FYI, for anyone looking to buy a used SB.

Sprint Booster lists 2 part numbers for our cars, one for the Manual transmission and another for the Auto.

I tried both first hand and found no difference what so ever.

The one that's currently in my car is from a manual 328i and it works exactly the same as the Auto specific model.
Interesting, I was wondering about that.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

just looking for options here...this is what i would need to do if i do a muffler delete? what if i don't have a tune yet?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
just looking for options here...this is what i would need to do if i do a muffler delete? what if i don't have a tune yet?
You should just get it. This can be said for the jb4 as well. Those two are the best upgrades I've ever done with extremely notable affects. The next thing that would give me noticeable results would be a stage 2 turbo.

No tune required for the SB.

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #20
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Regardless of muffler delete or tune this will make a big difference. A must in every car can't believe I was missing out on it.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No I was asking because muffler delete from the videos you guys posted sounds pretty aggressive and much better than the Supremo Megan exhaust I was going to go with. so instead of dropping 6 bones on the Megan's I can go muffler delete and SB? how much is the SB going for?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Found a used SB, if you are interested

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/5391644234.html
Appreciate 0