2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA Best body shop in Ottawa

10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Best body shop in Ottawa

Does anyone have a preference between Otto's or Elite for body repair? Or another suggested location?

I went through the car wash today (I don't want to hear about how bad car washes are ), it is one of those with a track and it pulls the car by the front wheels with a dolly. As I entered and 80 year yold in a Miata pulled up behind me and scooted in without entering an access code. Of course none of the dollies had poped up yet to grap him so he left it in drive and just followed me. Partially through he got all confused (as if he wasn't confused as it was) and hit the gas - 4 times he banged the back of my car. His license plate bolts stuck out quite far and kept rubbing on my bumper. I could do nothing other than cringe and whimper. He followed me out and I asked what happened and he said he didn't know. Anyway, the carwash place has a video and they are able to see he kept in drive so it is a no-brainer and the insurance is covering everything. The back bumper skin will need to be replaced and I want it done right (goes without saying) but I never had a need to have any of my bimmers body worked so I need help deciding where to go.
Attached Images

10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Bill,

OMG ! How can you be so calm ? If it happens to me ... I would have screamed at that driver until he cries for Mommy. Just kidding.

I guess I won't be seeing you anytime soon in T.O. I hope you can ask your insurance to write it off completely and get you into a brand new M. Preferreably, M6.

S
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Grrrrr!!!!!!! I really feel for you. If you are still looking for a shop - I have a good friend who is connected to the auto industry in the Ottawa area. I'll ask him who he recommends.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I met with the insurance adjuster at Otto's Collision Centre yesterday and I have to say I'm happy with what is being proposed. They are not going to replace the bumper skin but I saw how they repair the plastic with a liquid plastic on another car and I'm very comfortable with it. I'm lucky my damage is only minor cosmetic stuff. Even though they are only going to repair the skin they still need the car for 3 days as they will remove the bumper, apply the plastic repair, sand, verify the levelness of the area (reflection once painted will not reveal work was done), paint and reinstall. This is the good news. The bad news is they can't do it until the first week of November. Why? Because of the backlog due to the hail storm. Apparently the body shops around town are just now getting caught up on doing the repairs to the 17,000 damaged cars from this summer's hail storm. Yikes!

As much as I hate bumper stickers, I hate damage even more so I will probably put a Senators bumper sticker over the damage for a couple of weeks.
      10-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^

A Happy Face sticker is better ! No hockey this winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
^

A Happy Face sticker is better ! No hockey this winter.
Considering the guy that hit me was Leaf's fan...
      10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hmmm, this really mean war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
Considering the guy that hit me was Leaf's fan...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
GABMAN
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535XI Med. Blue

Sharbotcom,
I know exactly how you are feeling, last week I drive into a strip mall and make sure to park in the last row of spaces where there are no cars on my right or left or any in the row for that matter. As I am about to exit my vehicle I feel that familiar thud when a car hits your back bumper. Some lady on a cell phone was backing her car out of her parking spot one spot over from where I parked and backed right into my car. Lots of scratches on my bumper cover , insurance estimated at $ 900.00 and I have to wait until Oct 23 for a space at the body shop. Since this was not my fault and insurance company claims deductible will be waived , I insisted on having work done at my dealer and insurance company agreed after sending me to their preferred body shop at a local Honda Dealer. Thank God the Honda Dealer refused to do the work as they do not repair high end cars (lol) . Good luck with your repair am sure it will come out perfect.

By the way, if you have to wash your car in an automatic car wash, you may want to at least use the brushless ones where you are the only car in the garage and the machines moves from front to back of your car, the ones that grab your front wheel can really mess up your mags and alignment. Most gas stations now have these new washes.
2012 535XI White/Black, MSport, RETIRED
2011 535I, GraphGrey/Oyster, RETIRED

Last edited by GABMAN; 10-04-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0