2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Suspension Problems

10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Suspension Problems

I purchased a 2011 F10 M Sport a few months ago and a few days later I started noticing that there was a shimmy when I tried to brake at 50mph or higher. Took it to the dealer thinking this was a brake that needed to be replaced (it was close to 50k miles by then and still had the original front brakes) and I was told this wasn't a brake issue and that both of my front rims were bent. Obviously, not what I was hoping to hear but I went ahead and replaced all 4 wheels because I wanted something a little more unique anyway. Now, I'm seeing that the problem is still there and when I called the same dealership the service rep is saying, maybe your suspension is bent. That would obviously suck for me because that's not covered under any warranty/maintenance (both of which I've extended to 100k) but I was wondering how likely that was and if you guys had a sense for how much this was going to cost me if true.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
A Polite W
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

almost swerved out of control on a freeway turn @ ~80mph

was drivin on a normal freeway, light curve, at 80 mph, and felt like it was starting to drift/swerve out of control. hit the breaks, went down to 30 and was ok. thinkin something may be off, or I def need to tune up my wheels/axis connection. sway bars, coil overs/springs/ 'traction control', check 1st at shop to see if there's a problem? i'm pretty sure a 535i should take any regular freeway curve at 80 mph.. anyway, any other dope mods for the axle/wheel-chassis? gona upgrade to 550xi soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep

Just saw this update and I had forgotten about this thread. The dealership took the car back and it was indeed the front brake that was the issue. Rotors were warped and the pads were gone too. I don't know why it took them that long to figure it out...I guess they just assumed this was all caused by the bent wheels. In any case, it was a false alarm in my case so no suspension issues.

A Polite W, hopefully someone can give you some answers but I'm pretty clueless about any of those mods. Just judging by some of the things you mentioned, it's clear to me that you're so far ahead of me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
A Polite W
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

well, that's good to hear. I've been reading a few posts and suspension problems with the 5 series has actually been mentioned a handful of times. in any case, g'luck. if you do encounter more issues with any suspension in the future please don't hesitate to post!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep

Sure. Will do!
Appreciate 0