2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Would you sell your Bimmer to anyone??

07-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 335i

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Would you sell your Bimmer to anyone??

Ladies and Gents:

I need your advice. I currently work and reside in Korea. I had to sell my '08 BMW 335i Sports pkg (manual trans) before I moved to Korea in 2013. The U.S. Gov't only paid for one car shipping, so I chose the more expensive car to be shipped...my Land Rover LR4. While living in Korea, I really missed my old 335i so I ordered and upgraded to a U.S. spec 2014 535i M-Spt (8-spd auto/paddle). After driving it for over a year now, I really regretted opting for the automatic Paddle. Even after adding the AFE tuner, AFE intake, and Remus exhaust w/ resonator delete, the 535i is still substantially slower and less fun than my previous 335i.

Hence, lately I've been contemplating btw keeping my still respected 535i or buying the new 2016 Corvette Stingray Z51 (manual trans). So to test the market, I listed my mint conditioned 2014 535i M-Spt for $54,500 (sticker almost $69k) on July 3rd. After only two days on Craig's list, I have a buyer. The man offered my asking price. I wonder, have I listed it too low of a price? I only have about 7,800 miles on the car. What do you think?

Anyhow, here's where I need your advice. I met with the guy today because he wanted to see the car. I expected a younger man, maybe in mid 30's, perhaps with a young family, who appreciates the 535i like we do on this forum. Instead it was an older gentleman, no family, 55-60 yo, heavy set, with a French mustache, who doesn't know the difference btw a 520d, 528i, 535i, 550i/d, or M5. I asked him if he was specifically looking for a 535i or just any 5-series, and his reply was, "Any BMW is fine." Are you for real?!? When I asked him if he wanted to test drive, he said, "No, it's ok." I insisted, so he decided to test drive. I feel like I'm marrying off a princess daughter to a Shepard for exchange of 1000 sheep.

Bottom line:
1) Would you sell your Bimmer to anyone? Or would you be more selective in choosing? I'm asking b/c I sold my previous 335i to a guy that thought an oil change was a tune-up. To this day, I regret selling my 335i to a couple that didn't see the purpose of ever washing a car. I just feel that after personally hand-washing my car every week, for nearly six seasons, including polishing and waxing, upgrading, tuning, and modifying with TLC, I feel like my 535i deserves a better owner.
2) Should I keep the 535i or chose the 2016 Stingray Z51. I actually consider the Z51 a downgrade compared to the Bimmer. BMW was almost $69k and the Corvette is $62k.
3) Do you think my asking price was too low? He never counter-offered. Please see options below:

OPTIONS
- M Sport Line
- Headsup display
- Paddle Shifters
- Exclusive Leather Nappa Mocha interior with stitching
- BMW Adaptive LED Headlights (HID Xenons are outdated technology)
- LED Fog lights (actually works surprisingly well in fog compared to halogens)
- Navigation System
- Cold Weather Package (heated front and rear seats, and steering wheel)
- Driver Assistance Pkg
- Premium Pkg
- Comfort Access
- Harman/Kardon Surround Sound upgrade
- Sirius XM Satellite Radio
- Bluetooth Wireless and Streaming
- BMW Assist
- Backup Cam
- Automatic foot-well trunk opener

AFTER MARKET EQUIPMENT:
- Dash Cam video recorder; front and back for protection against road rage, insurance fraud, and accidents.
- Custom light weight 20" wheels with F: Continental 245/35ZR20, R:285/30ZR20 with 4 TPMS sensors (A 5-6 lb savings per wheel - combined value of over $3,000)
- StopTech Ceramic Brake Pads (Hardly any brake dust. Clean wheels...best investment. Very smooth stopping compared to grippy OEM brakes.)
- Clear Bra film paint protection for both front and rear bumpers (paid $1,500 )
- Tints 30% grade (paid $500)
- Remus Quad exhaust mufflers with carbon fiber Remus tips (paid $1,600)
- BMW OEM M5 rear diffuser (paid $400)
- AFE reusable performance air filter (paid $100)
- Custom tow hitch licence plate mount in front bumper (no holes drilled into the front bumpers for licence plate mount. Some States do not require licence plates in front.)
- Custom-fit All-weather floor mats

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

V/r,
Chris
2008 335i Sedan: Met blk, Blk Lthr w/ pop wood, Sp pkg, Pr Pkg, Cold Pkg, Navi, Sat Radio, Carb Fiber Fr Lo lips and roudrels, Tints (20%), Clear Bra (360 degrees-incl doors), Blackline Tails, red calipers. 18x8.5 & 9.5 Ruff Racing Staggered wheels (saved 6-7 lbs/wheel, CP-E Custom Exhaust system, SS-Turbo Tuner, KN&N, CDV.
Future mods: 6-spd Illum Lthr Short Shifter, Eibach Anti-roll bars

Last edited by Holygrail; 07-06-2015 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Adding question
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygrail
Ladies and Gents:

I need your advice. I currently work and reside in Korea. I had to sell my '08 BMW 335i Sports pkg (manual trans) before I moved to Korea in 2013. The U.S. Gov't only paid for one car shipping, so I chose the more expensive car to be shipped...my Land Rover LR4. While living in Korea, I really missed my old 335i so I ordered and upgraded to a U.S. spec 2014 535i M-Spt (8-spd auto/paddle). After driving it for over a year now, I really regretted opting for the automatic Paddle. Even after adding the AFE tuner, AFE intake, and Remus exhaust w/ resonator delete, the 535i is still substantially slower and less fun than my previous 335i.

Hence, lately I've been contemplating btw keeping my still respected 535i or buying the new 2016 Corvette Stingray Z51 (manual trans). So to test the market, I listed my mint conditioned 2014 535i M-Spt for $54,500 (sticker almost $69k) on July 3rd. After only two days on Craig's list, I have a buyer. The man offered my asking price. I wonder, have I listed it too low of a price? I only have about 7,800 miles on the car. What do you think?

Anyhow, here's where I need your advice. I met with the guy today because he wanted to see the car. I expected a younger man, maybe in mid 30's, perhaps with a young family, who appreciates the 535i like we do on this forum. Instead it was an older gentleman, no family, 55-60 yo, heavy set, with a French mustache, who doesn't know the difference btw a 520d, 528i, 535i, 550i/d, or M5. I asked him if he was specifically looking for a 535i or just any 5-series, and his reply was, "Any BMW is fine." Are you for real?!? When I asked him if he wanted to test drive, he said, "No, it's ok." I insisted, so he decided to test drive. I feel like I'm marrying off a princess daughter to a Shepard for exchange of 1000 sheep.

Bottom line:
1) Would you sell your Bimmer to anyone? Or would you be more selective in choosing? I'm asking b/c I sold my previous 335i to a guy that thought an oil change was a tune-up. To this day, I regret selling my 335i to a couple that didn't see the purpose of ever washing a car. I just feel that after personally hand-washing my car every week, for nearly six seasons, including polishing and waxing, upgrading, tuning, and modifying with TLC, I feel like my 535i deserves a better owner.
2) Should I keep the 535i or chose the 2016 Stingray Z51. I actually consider the Z51 a downgrade compared to the Bimmer. BMW was almost $69k and the Corvette is $62k.
3) Do you think my asking price was too low? He never counter-offered. Please see options below:

OPTIONS
- M Sport Line
- Headsup display
- Paddle Shifters
- Navigation System
- Driver Assistance Pkg
- Premium Pkg
- Comfort Access
- BMW Assist
- Backup Cam

AFTER MARKET EQUIPMENT:
- Dash Cam video recorder; front and back for protection against road rage, insurance fraud, and accidents.
- Custom light weight 20" wheels with F: Continental 245/35ZR20, R:285/30ZR20 with 4 TPMS sensors (A 5-6 lb savings per wheel - combined value of over $3,000)
- StopTech Ceramic Brake Pads (Hardly any brake dust. Clean wheels...best investment. Very smooth stopping compared to grippy OEM brakes.)
- Clear Bra film paint protection for both front and rear bumpers (paid $1,500 )
- Custom tow hitch licence plate mount in front bumper (no holes drilled into the front bumpers for licence plate mount. Some States do not require licence plates in front.)

V/r,
Chris
Let's see, you want to know if you should sell your car to an average guy who probably won't bug you for minor issues because cars do not appear to be a priority in his life---do I have this right?

Um, yes! It sounds like he is the perfect gentlemen to sell your car.

Who knows, maybe this guy will become a BMW aficionado after getting your car.

Save your age discrimination issues. You'll be old someday (hopefully). Do you want some whippersnapper judging you when you age?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Most people would be very pleased indeed to be offered the asking price when selling their car. Most people would not take the time to write 1,000 words wondering whether they should accept an offer which matches the asking price.

I can't believe I am reading the original post above.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

If you want to jump ship and onto another car, I would sell my car to anyone that would pay my asking price. if you dont want to sell it to him, please send him my way and I will gladly sell him my car so I can buy an M5 : )
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Most people would be very pleased indeed to be offered the asking price when selling their car. Most people would not take the time to write 1,000 words wondering whether they should accept an offer which matches the asking price.

I can't believe I am reading the original post above.
You're right! I'm definitely not most people. I log in maybe twice, or three times a year, hence, the long write ups when I do have questions which is rare. I'm detailed in my writing, as I am with cars. I've just been diagnosed with OCD, so I can't help it when it comes to details.

I don't have much trouble getting asking price. Once my coworkers or acquaintances find out I'm PCSing or selling my car, I get offers before I get a chance to post online; and I always got what I asked for. People all say I'm crazy when it comes to taking care of my car, but when it comes to selling my car, people become interested and they're willing to pay more money.

However, I just wish I could sell to folks that simply care about their cars...that's all. Money always comes. If it's not this person buying, then there are others.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Let's see, you want to know if you should sell your car to an average guy who probably won't bug you for minor issues because cars do not appear to be a priority in his life---do I have this right?

Um, yes! It sounds like he is the perfect gentlemen to sell your car.

Who knows, maybe this guy will become a BMW aficionado after getting your car.

Save your age discrimination issues. You'll be old someday (hopefully). Do you want some whippersnapper judging you when you age?
I am not discriminating. I feel old already myself in my mid 40s and 16 yrs in the mil has my body aching. Most 5-series owners that I see driving around base here in Yongsan are in their 30s to early 40s, so I assumed most interested in the 535i were in that age bracket, do you agree? When I was waiting in the parking lot to meet this gentleman, I must say I completely looked past him until he approached me.

When I sold my old 335i to a fellow Captain in my unit, he screwed up the transmission within weeks and dented the door by underestimating his turn. It kinda hurt seeing my old car go though that since I still saw the guy driving around. I told myself maybe next time I sell my car, I can be more selective and take my time.

I'm just saying, since it's only has been three days and I'm not desperate to sell in a hurry, I'm asking if you would rather sell to someone more knowledgeable or if it really doesn't matter. But I got you, money is money and at the end it really won't matter. Point well taken. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygrail View Post
....Bottom line:
1) Would you sell your Bimmer to anyone?
Yes I would

Quote:
Or would you be more selective in choosing?
No I would not.

I don't get why do you care, you don't want to keep this car anymore.
I mean, I get liking the car and getting attached, even being sad to sell it, but once you decide to sell, why would you care who gets it?

Would you take significantly less money if person was car enthusiast and promised to baby it ? Makes no sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
If you want to jump ship and onto another car, I would sell my car to anyone that would pay my asking price. if you dont want to sell it to him, please send him my way and I will gladly sell him my car so I can buy an M5 : )
Are in Korea as well? The guy is in Camp Henry, Daegu, Korea. Technically, the guy could buy a brand new 535i for my asking price, no? I wonder why used.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I remember when I used to wash my car every weekend... when each hair line scratch would rip through my heart. I see your point... but its just a car at the end of the day. Sell it to the highest bidder and move on. What they do with it is theirs to decide.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #10
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I kind of get what your saying as I sold my old 3 Series to a guy who is local to me and still see it regularly 6 years down the line. Luckily he looks after it, I still have fond memories of that car every time I see it. However if the car was badly looked after I think it would play on my mind a little...

That would not stop me selling a car to an individual that wanted to pay me what I wanted for it though. I guess it's better it goes to someone you don't know and to a place where you won't see it again based upon your previous experience of selling it to someone on your base.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

If the money is legit, what is the problem? Are you regretting listing it too low or something?

The only people I would avoid are obvious drug dealers or scammer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I was expecting this thread to either be some sort of lost in translation type of thing or someone worried they were selling their car to an exporter or something. I was wrong.

My answer, it's a car, not a family pet. If you don't want it anymore, it is an asset for sale to the highest bidder.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
If the money is legit, what is the problem? Are you regretting listing it too low or something?

Do you think $54,500 was too low considering my option list. My wife thinks it's a little low, but I think it's fair. KBB wasn't much help because it didn't have all the options available on its list, I.e. BMW adaptive headlight, foot-well auto trunk release, heads up, etc.

No problem. It's just I sold my favorite previous '08 BMW 335i Sport to a coworker that gave me my asking price and he pretty much messed up the car. I had the car for 5 1/2 yrs and didn't even have a single scratch or ding on it...and having worked in Wash DC that time, that's Really hard to do.

V/r,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

This thread gave me jokes!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #15
Holygrail
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz View Post
This thread gave me jokes!
Joles?? Getting rid of anyone's Bimmer is never a joke! Jokes or not, I normally wouldn't be able to afford 5-series' on a gov salary. We didn't have a salary increase for six years until this January, and that increase was only 1%...so I have to rely on deployment opportunities. If I quit, I won't be able to pay for my kids' extended education or provide some luxuries to my family, and fund my bad habits.

Now that you understand what I had to do to afford this 535i, I spend my hard earned life money on this car, admired it even more because it was expensive. I have great passion for all type of cars. I studied cars on my free time since I was 16. I love engineering and motors. I got attached to the car as I do with all my cars. I treat all my cars with great admiration and respect. I believe when you take care of your car, it will take care of you in the long run.

During the test drive, after I showed the buyer how to turn on the engine, he meant to put the gear in reverse, but had it in drive and he was about to gas it (the concrete barrier in the parking lot was in front of the bumper). I had to quickly tell him to stop...wrong gear! Every time when he turned, the rear wheel would get real close to the curb. I thought he was going to hit my wheels during his test drive. There is no leeway in 30 series profiles. At that very moment, THATS WHEN it first hit my mind. Do I sell this car to him or not? Hence, this threat...because I trust you guys opinions and pay great respect for everyone's knowledge sharing. To me, that's priceless!! I went ahead and agreed on this sale.

V/r
Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Joles?? Getting rid of anyone's Bimmer is never a joke! Jokes or not, I normally wouldn't be able to afford 5-series' on a gov salary. We didn't have a salary increase for six years until this January, and that increase was only 1%...so I have to rely on deployment opportunities. If I quit, I won't be able to pay for my kids' extended education or provide some luxuries to my family, and fund my bad habits.

Now that you understand what I had to do to afford this 535i, I spend my hard earned life money on this car, admired it even more because it was expensive. I have great passion for all type of cars. I studied cars on my free time since I was 16. I love engineering and motors. I got attached to the car as I do with all my cars. I treat all my cars with great admiration and respect. I believe when you take care of your car, it will take care of you in the long run.

During the test drive, after I showed the buyer how to turn on the engine, he meant to put the gear in reverse, but had it in drive and he was about to gas it (the concrete barrier in the parking lot was in front of the bumper). I had to quickly tell him to stop...wrong gear! Every time when he turned, the rear wheel would get real close to the curb. I thought he was going to hit my wheels during his test drive. There is no leeway in 30 series profiles. At that very moment, THATS WHEN it first hit my mind. Do I sell this car to him or not? Hence, this threat...because I trust you guys opinions and pay great respect for everyone's knowledge sharing. To me, that's priceless!! I went ahead and agreed on this sale.

V/r
Chris
1. The pay freeze was only about 4 years.
2. You still get a raise from step increase
3. You have what most people call "first world problems"
4. Who cares if the guy can't drive the car. It's his problem, not yours. Just make sure his money is legit.
5. I think your asking price is fine. Your sticker price is $69k but you didn't pay that. Nobody pays MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygrail
Ladies and Gents:

Bottom line:

OPTIONS
- M Sport Line
- Headsup display
- Paddle Shifters
- Navigation System
- Driver Assistance Pkg
- Premium Pkg
- Comfort Access
- BMW Assist
- Backup Cam

AFTER MARKET EQUIPMENT:

V/r,
Chris
I sold my E39 M5 to some grad school student cause he was the first to my house with the cash. I thought his money was the same as anyone else's.

2 months later he had the car up for sale after adding tasteless mods. I hated him for it. I hated him lying and telling me he was an enthusiast and was going to keep the car forever and keep it clean like I did.

But despite all that, I sold the car in less than 48 hours.

What's more important, getting the price YOU want or getting the buyer you want?

R.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

Thank goodness you sold the car.
We all love our cars and I do wonder what happens to them once they are out of our hands. I still think fondly of a 1981 Mercedes 300SD with the most supple, thick and long wearing leather interior. During the time I owned it the leather had the most glorious genuine leather smell. I loved just opening the doors. It was navy blue in a silver car. Where is the car now? Probably most of it is in the junkyard and the body is a new stove.
I'm glad you got the price you wanted. Your next car can become the object of your passion.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I recently googled the VIN# of a 2009 Audi S5 I once had. I had ordered it, waited 8 months for it, put 16,000 miles on it in a matter of 14 or 16 months, then traded it in because we had our first baby on the way. I regretted getting rid of it so soon. I thought I had to, but could've waited another year. So when I briefly entertained the idea of finding it and buying it back recently, I was crushed to find out someone had let it get flood damage. I found it at the auction, had been up for auction that very day I looked. I'll be honest, I was pissed that someone let that happen to "my car…" But, had I not thought about getting another one, the thought would never have crossed my mind, who had it and were they "treating it right.." It is no more a practical choice for me now than it was when I traded it in for a sedan, so I was never really going to buy it back anyway. Had I kept it for 2 or 3 years, would've never even considered looking for it. It was about regret having sold too soon, not any concern over who bought it after me.

Moral of the story, glad you got your price and sold the car. Good luck with whatever's next.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Price sounds about right. I bought my car new with msrp mid 60's and paid mid 50's. If you got $54K it's a great deal for you. Just sell it and move on
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #21
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post

As long as the money is clean and the wire transfer is legit, who cares who the buyer is?
      08-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #22
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Dude, it's a car. You're not marrying off your daughter. Now, if you think your price was too low that is another matter. If you got dozens of takers at your asking, your price is too low. If you only got one person, it shows lack of demand or lack of demand at that price. You wrote that you'll get asking once your co workers find out you are selling so why bother listing it in the first place.