2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealership joy rides my friends M5

10-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #23
Risky_analyst
Rep
Drives: E92

That sucks. I would be very upset. See if the dealer could provided extended warranty for a discounted price. That should give him some assurance and on top of that extend out the warranty which can be expensive after the standard warranty. What percentage off is the main question. Dealership should be ok with that due to the large mark up
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #24
SirApoc
Rep
Drives: 2011 550 xi

Don't think I'd be worried about HOW the car was driven, just that perhaps they shouldn't have been the ones doing it. If he's worried that someone floored it and took it to 100+ from a mechanical perspective, your buddy bought the wrong car. If you listen to the german engineers, a lot of the issues these cars have is due to not being driven HARD enough to break in the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Not a big deal to be honest. It's an M5...techs were likely trying to get oil up to temperature. As long as they didn't wreck it, I wouldn't consider this event to be a problem.
      10-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #26
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Not a big deal to be honest. It's an M5...techs were likely trying to get oil up to temperature. As long as they didn't wreck it, I wouldn't consider this event to be a problem.
I hope one day someone does that to your car... Ruins your brand new tires, and causes problems to your engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #27
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And hopefully I could be there to say "its not a big deal"
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #28
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528
Quote:
And hopefully I could be there to say "its not a big deal"
Yeah exactly. It's not a big deal with someone else's child gets hurt or injured but it's only understood when your child is in that exact same situation. Easy to brush off and say not a big deal when it is for OTHERS

Just an analogy, I am not even married forget kids.

Sucks OP. I would also be very pissed. My car has been driven an extra 50 miles to diagnose some minor vibration issue. I live in a town which is less than 5 miles in radius. Go figure. Someone took it for a joyride for sure.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #29
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
I hope one day someone does that to your car... Ruins your brand new tires, and causes problems to your engine.
Did they though? (Ruin tyres and cause engine problems)

I agree, it is a major disrespect to a customer to treat their car like that though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

I agree, it is a major disrespect to a customer to treat their car like that though.
Yes we inspected the car last night. He has brand new Michelin tires that have pieces of rubber HANGING OFF THE TIRE!!!!! He swore on his own life ever since he got the car he has NEVER drove it in a crazy manner!! He also is telling me the engine is making a loud and unusual drone from the engine when he cold starts it. YES I KNOW IT MIGHT'VE NOT BEEN THE DEALERSHIP AND YES I DID ASK HIM TO MAKE SURE HE WASN'T JUST LIKE OVERTHINKING THE SOUND.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #31
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Yes we inspected the car last night. He has brand new Michelin tires that have pieces of rubber HANGING OFF THE TIRE!!!!! He swore on his own life ever since he got the car he has NEVER drove it in a crazy manner!! He also is telling me the engine is making a loud and unusual drone from the engine when he cold starts it. YES I KNOW IT MIGHT'VE NOT BEEN THE DEALERSHIP AND YES I DID ASK HIM TO MAKE SURE HE WASN'T JUST LIKE OVERTHINKING THE SOUND.
I'd be P.O'd in that case. Majorly.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #32
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm sorry if I sound very frustrated its just because the guy who test drove his car is the same guy who does all the maintenance and everything on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #33
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Dealer can pull out a report from car's ECU to see how hard it was driven along with all the values and when exactly they were registered.

These cars are designed to be driven hard and I doubt that a mechanic can cause all of that damage in the 2 mile test drive he did. Since he bought the car used, the bigger concern is how the car was driven 1st 3K miles.

Like others indicated, what does your friend out of this?

Also, IMO he already waited too long complain about it.

I would of showed up the pick the car with the video readily available and would of inspected the crap out of the car before driving it out of the dealer.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #34
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Not the best way to warm up to operating temp. Metals are not at its expansion peaks. But then im not sure what kind of internal forged metal they use for these turbo engines.

I'm pretty sure every single one of us that brings our car in for service, it has been beaten on. It's just that we don't know it. What we don't know won't kill us, at least not right there right then. Just like restuarant, you wont get sick right after you eat but it will take a toll days later.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #35
Pito11213
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white 528 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Quote:
Not the best way to warm up to operating temp. Metals are not at its expansion peaks. But then im not sure what kind of internal forged metal they use for these turbo engines.

I'm pretty sure every single one of us that brings our car in for service, it has been beaten on. It's just that we don't know it. What we don't know won't kill us, at least not right there right then. Just like restuarant, you wont get sick right after you eat but it will take a toll days later.
So these guys drove this car, into the ground?

Not sure who I would be mad at more?

The people who actually did it.

The car manufacturer, for making a performance car that can't perform without breaking.

Myself for video taping the act and not brining it up right away when I went to pick up my car.

If the car is in shambles, bringing it to the dealer and have an SA inspect it and then getting a manager involved would be a great first step. Not sure what bringing a lawyer would do, but if you guys have one handy on retainer have at it.

So far though, I dont hear what has been done first, before jumping to a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Initially it sounded like the owner just witnessed the techs ripping it down the street, but i suppose shredded tires is a different story. A new engine noise is even worse. I admit i dont mind if someone rips on one of my cars, it tends to come with the territory if you own an M, but a damaged car is crossing the line. I respectfully retract my previous statement in light of this new information
      10-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #37
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

I love the way some guys in America threaten a law suit straight off. Stop being ridiculous and go have a word with the dealership. The guy will get either fired or a severe talking to and the owner will get some form of goodwill. Get a grip and be real. And if the tyres are really damaged then get them to replace them. The car can take it, it's what their built for FFS. Take it around a racetrack and then see the real state of a normal set of tyres!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #38
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

You can't just leave a car like this at a US dealership. The risk of it getting slaughtered is too high. I always wait at the dealership for things like oil changes, and make sure they don't take the car on a joy ride.

I had a similar experience with my Porsche Cayman GTS - I caught someone from the dealership driving my car like a maniac. It was particularly horrendous because the car has a manual transmission. It's a common occurrence at that dealership - police noticed the reckless driving going on there as well. I started going to an independent mechanic whom I can trust instead. I even pay for stuff that would be covered by warranty because I just can't trust the people at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i think regardless they shouldn't drive the car aggressive. it's not theirs. yes, this car is made to handle driving aggressive but doesn't give a right for the technician or mechanic to drive it like that. just my opinion tho
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #40
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Don't M cars have a display on the rev counter showing the maximum revs permissible whilst the engine is warming up? The older models definitely had this, not sure about the F10... This clearly indicates that the driver should be cautious whilst the engine is reaching optimum temperature. I believe that highly tuned engines are more susceptible to damage if not warmed correctly than the normal cannon fodder that manufacturers produce.

I always take a video of my car in the dealers lot and go around the whole car and wheels and show this to the SA when I book in. Overkill I know but there is no disputing damage afterwards
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

OP, some thoughts; there is a known issue with F10 4.4l engine and owners not driving them hard enough to seal the engines resulting in excessive oil consumption. Not unknown for dealers to assist in properly running in the engine resulting in reduction in oil consumption. This could be an explanation of what your friend witnessed.

Although I'm not condoning the alleged abuse of another's property nor am I advocating breaking the law, providing the car had been fully warmed up (oil, tyres, etc) straight line 'sprints' shouldn't have damaged the car. The general unwritten real rule of thumb for m cars is gently bring car up to operating temperature, then full throttle acceleration in short bursts, avoid sustained hard driving (I'm not talking about maintaining steady high speed on autobahn, etc).

You can tell when a DCT equipped F10 M5 has been driven hard as you can start to feel the gear changes, throttle response becomes more aggressive (could be an explanation of car sounding different), etc. Prelonged smooth driving results in inperceptable gear changes, smooth throttle response, increased fuel economy, etc. To reset the car either start driving smoothly for a period of time, or alternatively don't drive the car for about two weeks (noting that the later may not be a practical option). The F10 M5 adapts to driving style same as other BMWs.

Pilot Super Sports are quite sticky, so the surface can look somewhat somewhat worse for wear after enthuastic and not abusive driving. Having chunks of tyre missing would be indicative of extreme track use / burnouts / drifting, etc. Would need to see pictures of the tyres to comment further.

Finally, properly testing a performance car post-service is not as uncommon as you/your friend may think. There is a difference between properly testing and abusing though...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #42
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Finally, properly testing a performance car post-service is not as uncommon as you/your friend may think. There is a difference between properly testing and abusing though...
There is no special testing that the dealership employees need to do for a "performance car". They just enjoy abusing high-performance cars, and see it as a perk of their low-paying job. It's a very frustrating common problem in the US; not sure how it is in other countries.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #43
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

He should have called the dealership the moment he saw him and said "What are you doing to my car!!!".
      11-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #44
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
He should have called the dealership the moment he saw him and said "What are you doing to my car!!!".
^^^^ This.

Put on your big boy pants when it happens. Find the service manager. Show him the video. Ask for an explanation.

The entire dealership didn't do this. For all we know, 99% of the employees their might be upset that some knucklehead did. No need to persecute every employee at every dealership. I've run across many great enthusiasts that work in those bays.

But the time to handle it was when it happened. This thread is pointless and stupid. Sorry. Too late to put the big boy pants on now.
Appreciate 0