2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 528XI Straight piped

03-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #23
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
Straight pipe (muffler/resonator) = $100
ER Downpipes (I highly recommend)= 400-500
Arko528, with your downpipes do you smell gas in your car?
Inside the car no not at all, when I cruise normally now, however; if I hit the gas hard people behind me will definitely smell it, but I still wont!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #24
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley
Quote:
I straight piped my 528xi for basically two reasons: for my own personal curiosity, and simply for those 528 owners on this forums! I know it's not the best sounding vehicle in the world and according to some people it sounds like a "fart box," but I ask you to please be generous! If you don't like the sound I understand, but no need to post any negative comments. Thanks and I hope you like the quick video!

I think it sounds amazing. I may be biased though because I have a 528 xdrive as well lol. I want to get this done to my car now. How much did this run you? I need to know what's a fair price for when I start to call around the shops nearby
Some shop told me $3000-$3500 over the phone... Wth were they thinking?! They also asked me where do I want the pipes to start from. I had no clue lol where do yours start from? Any pics of the view from underneath the car while it was on the lift?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Some shop told me $3000-$3500 over the phone... Wth were they thinking?! They also asked me where do I want the pipes to start from. I had no clue lol where do yours start from? Any pics of the view from underneath the car while it was on the lift?
go to a different shop! they must be smoking crack! all they need to do is cut the mufflers off and extend the pipe to whatever tips you want to use.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #26
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I straight piped my 528xi for basically two reasons: for my own personal curiosity, and simply for those 528 owners on this forums! I know it's not the best sounding vehicle in the world and according to some people it sounds like a "fart box," but I ask you to please be generous! If you don't like the sound I understand, but no need to post any negative comments. Thanks and I hope you like the quick video!

I think it sounds amazing. I may be biased though because I have a 528 xdrive as well lol. I want to get this done to my car now. How much did this run you? I need to know what's a fair price for when I start to call around the shops nearby
$3000-$3500? Those people are literally out of their mind. I paid $100 for a 3 hour service, and deleted my muffler and resonator.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #27
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

First off, loss of back pressure=loss of power is a myth. There are numerous articles stating that back pressure is actually something you want to minimize, especially with turbos. Secondly, it does sound, surprisingly, good. I'm shopping for an exhaust for the wife's 528 and there are very few options (for quad setup). You can't use 2 mufflers unless you do the trunk storage tub removal DIY. Otherwise, you're limited to 1 left muffler+ a fakey right side dual. Since your muffler delete sounds pretty good, I was wondering if it's possible to get a single dual muffler (i.e. Remus) on the left and just a straight pipe + dual on the right? That way, you won't have to remove the inside tub.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #28
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
First off, loss of back pressure=loss of power is a myth. There are numerous articles stating that back pressure is actually something you want to minimize, especially with turbos. Secondly, it does sound, surprisingly, good. I'm shopping for an exhaust for the wife's 528 and there are very few options (for quad setup). You can't use 2 mufflers unless you do the trunk storage tub removal DIY. Otherwise, you're limited to 1 left muffler+ a fakey right side dual. Since your muffler delete sounds pretty good, I was wondering if it's possible to get a single dual muffler (i.e. Remus) on the left and just a straight pipe + dual on the right? That way, you won't have to remove the inside tub.
ndinh, there's probably a way...maybe take it to a muffler shop and see what they can do...i'm sure they've done it to other makes and models?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh
You could try that! Just make sure you go to a good shop
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #30
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

$3000-$3500? Those people are literally out of their mind. I paid $100 for a 3 hour service, and deleted my muffler and resonator.
Wow that's a great price I doubt I'll be able to find a shop who will do it for that low but $3k?!?! Ridiculous lmao
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #31
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
go to a different shop! they must be smoking crack! all they need to do is cut the mufflers off and extend the pipe to whatever tips you want to use.

Some gooooood crack lol that's what I said
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #32
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some gooooood crack lol that's what I said
I totally agree.. 3k is basically a new exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #33
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I've been working 7 days a week lately and literally have no time but the first chance I get I am doing this mod. Let's say for whatever reason I want to put it back to factory. Would it be simple to do so? They just have to weld the pipes they take off back on right
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #34
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yup! I was really close to doing this but decided to go a different direction. From all the YouTube videos they all sound nice and aggressive!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #35
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup! I was really close to doing this but decided to go a different direction. From all the YouTube videos they all sound nice and aggressive!
^^
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #36
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Like I said I did this for the 528 owners and just for my personal reason; however, I will be getting a GT haus exhaust this spring hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #37
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I've been working 7 days a week lately and literally have no time but the first chance I get I am doing this mod. Let's say for whatever reason I want to put it back to factory. Would it be simple to do so? They just have to weld the pipes they take off back on right
I don't believe its that easy mate...
Appreciate 0