2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 - iDrive crashing

04-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
jimbo2222
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW F10 525d

BMW F10 - iDrive crashing

I know as I write this post I am walking down a very well trodden path.

I have a 2010 BMW F10 525d.

Last year the iDrive began to crash, and since then the probability of it crashing has become more frequent. The usual scenario that seems to be littered across the forums. Blank screens, lost preset radio stations.

I've tried the 30 second radio button push, and/or with the CD eject pressed. Nothing. Does't seem to reset the iDrive on my vehicle. So...

I made the weary trek to my local BMW garage, where I bought the car three years ago, knowing full well that this wasn't going to be an easy fix. However, my mood improved when I was told that nine times out of ten flashing the software onto the iDrive fixed the problem.

Guess what? Yep.

I was told they had tried to flash the software, but it failed with a message stating the head unit needed replacing. £1,138.

They charged me £165.00 for finding out that head unit needed replacing, by the way.

I thought I might be able to flash the software myself via the update facility on the BMW website. But, after entering my VIN number, no software downloads appear to be available for my head unit.

I have the head unit on my desk. BMW are telling me it's a £1138.00 radio. Must be a good radio for £1138.00. Can't be that good... it only lasted 6 years. I digress.

It has a 2Gb SD card in it. I've had the SD card in my Mac, and there is loads of stuff on it; folders files etc. Can I do anything with the files?

What are my options, realistically?

I need some help.

Thanks, James.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Here's a shot in the dark. That head unit that they are talking about, why don't you check and see how much its going for in the junkyards. I reckon that if you check the junk/salvage yards & eBay you should be able to find one for much less. Once you locate the head unit, install it and try flashing the software. Maybe it would work.

***Discretion is advised, not responsible for anything that might happen***
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahrez View Post
Here's a shot in the dark. That head unit that they are talking about, why don't you check and see how much its going for in the junkyards. I reckon that if you check the junk/salvage yards & eBay you should be able to find one for much less. Once you locate the head unit, install it and try flashing the software. Maybe it would work.

***Discretion is advised, not responsible for anything that might happen***
He can use a used one, and flash it, but he also has to take all his FSC enabling Codes and re-import and activate them in replacement head unit, which requires donor head unit be made virgin first, or that the replacement is older than his current head unit.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Yep, you can absolutely use a salvaged unit. I did it in my old E60. Dealer wanted $4000 to replace a failed iDrive and TCU (bluettoth module). I got the iDrive (CCC) for $650 from a breakers, with a 24 month warranty. I picked up the TCU for $98 on eBay. Coding for both cost me $300. So both problems resolved for barely over $1000, not bad at all.
Yes, the head unit is VIN specific, but it can be recoded for your car
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
jimbo2222
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW F10 525d

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I have approached the BMW dealership and asked them to see if BMW will grant a 'goodwill' reduction on the price of the head unit.

My feeling is that the problem is with the files on the 2GB SD card in the head unit. Perhaps some corruption in one of the files the unit reads as it boots up.

But without knowing which file(s) could be involved, I'm a bit stuck.

James.
Appreciate 0