2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bmw 550 diffuser measurement help please

04-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
awsomebmw
Rep
Drives: f11 535d touring

Bmw 550 diffuser measurement help please

Hi everyone,
I'm quite new to the forum and was looking for some advice about fitting quad tips to my F11 535d

I've spoken to Cyba on here who has some amazing exhaust tips

the problem is im not sure about cutting and welding as the car is on lease.

If someone could help with the measurements of the 550 diffuser on the f11 as in the picture im hoping I could work something out that could be reversible when its time to hand the keys back

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

The simplest solution is to replace the diffuser with the 550 diffuser (approx $90) It's a simple DIY job, and works perfectly with the Cyba quad tips. I doubt they'd even care on lease turn-in, but you could always keep the 535 diffuser and reinstall it then have a shop weld single tips back on if you had to.
      04-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
awsomebmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
The simplest solution is to replace the diffuser with the 550 diffuser (approx $90) It's a simple DIY job, and works perfectly with the Cyba quad tips. I doubt they'd even care on lease turn-in, but you could always keep the 535 diffuser and reinstall it then have a shop weld single tips back on if you had to.
Thanks for the reply,
When welding the tips on do you have to disconnect the battery?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsomebmw View Post
Thanks for the reply,
When welding the tips on do you have to disconnect the battery?
No, there's no need to disconnect the battery.
The important thing is to determine how far you want the tips to stick out past the bumper. On the F10, the cyba tips will stick out a good 4 inches if they're not cut, which really doesn't look good, so I had the installer cut the tips off just before the "Y" to get a nice clean look where the inner tips are aligned with the bumper and the outer tips stick out an inch or so (due to the curve of the bumper). The F11 may be different, so I'd measure the distance from the muffler to the bumper to see how much of the cyba tips needs to be cut off.
Here's a thread that shows an example of installing the cyba tips on an F10 with a 550 diffuser. It's not mine, but the exact same install.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=700328
      04-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

also, keep in mind if you ever go with a more aggressive diffuser like the V style, M5 or DTM you'll have to push the tips out a bit further so make sure the diffuser you have now is what you're going to keep...just a thought
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
awsomebmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
also, keep in mind if you ever go with a more aggressive diffuser like the V style, M5 or DTM you'll have to push the tips out a bit further so make sure the diffuser you have now is what you're going to keep...just a thought
Now there is a very good point thank you very much, im not sur which diffuser to go for either the 550 or the others illhave a look on google for some pics I think
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsom View Post
Now there is a very good point thank you very much, im not sur which diffuser to go for either the 550 or the others illhave a look on google for some pics I think
here's an example as u can see if your tips are flush with your OEM diffuser and say you decide to swap in the M5 diffuser later your tips would probably sit inside a bit.

Here's what it would look like if it we're about an 1" beyond the diffuser

It's all personal preference as some people don't like when the tips stick out at all so...just keep that in mind
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
awsomebmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
here's an example as u can see if your tips are flush with your OEM diffuser and say you decide to swap in the M5 diffuser later your tips would probably sit inside a bit.

Here's what it would look like if it we're about an 1" beyond the diffuser

It's all personal preference as some people don't like when the tips stick out at all so...just keep that in mind
Thank you so much for the help its best to decide on the diffuser I want and balance the measurements of the tailpipes just encase I do as you say and change the diffuser to a different type,
I like the plain 550 but I also like the sport one too, hmm decisions
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsomebmw View Post
Thank you so much for the help its best to decide on the diffuser I want and balance the measurements of the tailpipes just encase I do as you say and change the diffuser to a different type,
I like the plain 550 but I also like the sport one too, hmm decisions
IMHO i think since you're going quad exhaust the M5 diffuser looks really good! if you want something more aggressive than the Vorsteiner, 3d and DTM diffusers are the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

i'll have a CF vorsteiner diffuser for sale in may if you're interested?

PM me.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0