2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Professional navigation maps update

12-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #23
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinhwear View Post
If you click on Store then booked services then I have USB Map Update booked.

Do you not have that?

My car was delivered at the end of Nov 2015.
No and my car was delivered 22nd November!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:35 AM   #24
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

I would hassle the dealer as the free map update malarky is supposed to be from September.

Mine was a factory build in November, presumably yours was not built prior to September?

Have a look at the attachment
Attached Images

Last edited by kinhwear; 12-23-2015 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Add attachment
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #25
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

I definitely don't have the USB Map Update option and I have now emailed BMW Customer Services to query this. The build date is 23/10/2015.

Even though I would expect the OTA update to be available, as per the BMW website at the time the car was ordered, I would not be too fussed if the only method of update available to me was via the USB update. I'm only bothered about being able to easily update the maps but unfortunately there isn't a clear option to do that at the moment.

When I took delivery the navigation didn't work because the dealership couldn't access the BMW system to obtain the activation code; they supplied the code the following day and I'm now wondering if that has something to do with it.

I'll update the thread accordingly when I get a response.

Andy

Last edited by andyrp; 12-23-2015 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Added build date.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #26
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

So BMW responded to say free map updates are only available for certain models and the 5 series isn't one of them. Have responded requesting that my query is escalated.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #27
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

I think they get confused, they assume you mean over the air updates which is only available on new design models such as series 2.

I had all sorts of conflicting conversations with BMW and in the end I downloaded the maps and gave it a try.

As you can see from my listing it is available on the 5 but only via USB. I did not notice the "USB package" listed until after I had done the update!!

You can always send them the image I attached as evidence.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #28
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

I have copied the detail from the BMW online configurator which clearly shows the 3 years of free updates; when they respond I will ensure there is no ambiguity ref OTA or USB.

Its interesting that the USB update wasn't mentioned in the ConnectedDrive portal until you did the update so like you did I might just give it a go.

Where did you download the maps from?

Cheers,
Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

From here:- http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=fsc
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #30
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Downloaded to USB drive, inserted in car, update recognised, car prompted for code! Will continue to follow up with BMW UK.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #31
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Did your Connected Drive in the car update when you accessed it? Mine did, not sure if that made a difference?

Or is it because my car is a Luxury version and included APPS and Online Services as standard?

Either way I think you should have it!!

Last edited by kinhwear; 12-27-2015 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #32
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

No update to ConnectedDrive when I inserted the updated maps USB although it has updated at various times over the last 2 weeks when I've gone to use certain functions.

I've got Apps and Online as standard with the professional navigation system. Just to confirm was it the Europe NEXT 2016-1 map you updated to?

I'm also going to contact the dealership who Lex ordered the car through in then after the Christmas break.

Last edited by andyrp; 12-27-2015 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Answer previous posters question.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #33
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Yes that is the one.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #34
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrp View Post
No update to ConnectedDrive when I inserted the updated maps USB although it has updated at various times over the last 2 weeks when I've gone to use certain functions.
My Jan 2015 F10 also does regular OTA updates to various connected drive features, but the car is well before automatic map updates were included so it must be a fairly standard thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #35
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrp View Post
I have copied the detail from the BMW online configurator which clearly shows the 3 years of free updates; when they respond I will ensure there is no ambiguity ref OTA or USB.

Its interesting that the USB update wasn't mentioned in the ConnectedDrive portal until you did the update so like you did I might just give it a go.

Where did you download the maps from?

Cheers,
Andy
Have you checked the Services that can be booked tab? If it is there at least you know it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #36
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you checked the Services that can be booked tab? If it is there at least you know it is possible.
It's not there as a service that can be ordered; I have 8 booked services and all that is left to be booked is online entertainment.

I spoke to the local dealership today; not the one that supplied the car but part of the same group. The lady on the service desk said they would have to do the map update and was prepared to make a service booking there and then for me. However I decided to wait as I would rather end up in a position where I can install the update myself from USB.

I'm going to speak to the supplying dealer next week and wait for BMW to respond as well to my follow up email to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #37
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Yes, it would be much more convenient to update as and when you wish.

Looking forward to hearing the response.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #38
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it would be much more convenient to update as and when you wish.

Looking forward to hearing the response.
So BMW responded today, response was from another customer services executive and hadn't been escalated as requested. Response as follows:

"Good afternoon Andrew

Thanks for your email to Stacey which I’ve looked into for you. I’m sorry your unhappy with the map update information on our website – I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

As Stacey mentioned free map updates are only available with certain models. Details as follows:

1 Series LCI
2 Series Coupe (from March production)
2 Series Convertible
3 Series LCI
4 Series (from July production)

We value feedback from customers and we’re always looking for ways to improve. So I’ve sent a copy of your comments to the website team for review.

I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry to disappoint you. If there’s anything else I can help with in the future, please get back in touch. Your reference number is XXXXXXXXX"

I have responded to this stating that other drivers have been able to update via USB and have included a screenshot of the Professional Navigation from the online configurator which again clearly shows map updates for 3 years.

I'll update further when I have spoken to the supplying dealer.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

I am starting to wonder if my dealer added it in for me.

The only queries I had were that the Ipod support was rubbish as it require a special cable and that I wanted the latest 2016-1 map to be supplied with the car on delivery.

The cable was never sorted and I gave up on that. I was dealing with the service manager and he said I could update the car myself.

I am now wondering if they added the USB update option to keep me happy?

Either way, it is possible and should not cost you any money.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #40
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

A bit of research has revealed that the activation code has a set of digits (called the "upgrade index") that defines how many upgrades / updates can be performed against that specific activation code. The first upgrade asks for the activation code and subsequent upgrades do not until the upgrade index has been reached. It will be interesting to see what happens if you try and update in the future to the 2016-2 maps when they are released.

Given that my sat nav was not activated on delivery due to an issue with the BMW Portal I am increasingly suspicious that the activation code provided the day after I took delivery is a contributor to this issue. I have emailed the "Genius" at supplying dealer and will update when the specific contact is back in the office after 4th Jan 2016.

If all else fails I can buy an activation code relatively cheaply but right now it feels like a matter of principle rather than cost.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #41
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Andy,

There was a FSC code in my folder which I presume was used to activate the system initially, do you have a link to the description of the "upgrade index"?

I am assuming that I will get every upgrade I wish now until 30.11.2018

If not I will be onto BMW pretty damn quick!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #42
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

The link is here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=846839

Also on the BMW Online Parts catalogue there is reference to a navigation update subscription code enabling code and a standard navigation enabling code; both are listed as being available for my car. This is now pointing very much to the dealer supplying the a simple enabling code rather than the enabling code that permits the updates.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #43
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep

BMW customer services have responded again today to the screenshot I provided of the web description for the Professional Navigation stating it is generic and that there is a disclaimer on the page. Given my sports seats were not as described and now the navigation is not as described then it really seems the website is completely unreliable.

I have again asked for this to be escalated, they ignored the previous escalation request, and have pointed out that there is an enabling code for the navigation that permits map updates and that I would at least expect to be provided with such a code.

It does feel like the Customer Services employee is just following a standard response rather than really investigating and trying to find a solution to reach some level of customer satisfaction.

If all else fails I'm going to code the map updates myself and have already ordered the ENET cable.

Just need to see what the dealership say next week now.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:36 AM   #44
kinhwear
Devon Old Geezer
Rep

Have you asked them to comment on the "USB Map update" that I seem to have?

Why not point them at my screen shot if that helps or I can send you the actual image if you want to email it to them.

It would be interesting to hear how they explain away the USB service that they do not seem to acknowledge exists!!
Appreciate 0