2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Combox+6NR & rear camera retrofit to 2010 550i GT

01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi GT

Combox+6NR & rear camera retrofit to 2010 550i GT

First post here, been lurking a long time. Just finished getting the remote coding done for my retrofit. There were really 2 things that I've been longing for on my GT, and that was the new 6NR functionality and a rear camera. I had actually been contemplating trading it in on a newer one just to get the 6NR stuff. The kits from BimmerTech went in smoothly (combox is actually pretty simple... the camera is much more involved disassembly/install). Loving the Pandora integration. The connected drive app is cool, but I don't know how much I'll really use the Facebook/Twitter integration, but it's fun to play with. I want to give a big thanks to Patryk from BimmerTech for all the support, this retrofit has made me even happier with my GT than I was before and I already LOVED this car!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Some pictures from the updated display
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowat View Post
First post here, been lurking a long time. Just finished getting the remote coding done for my retrofit. There were really 2 things that I've been longing for on my GT, and that was the new 6NR functionality and a rear camera. I had actually been contemplating trading it in on a newer one just to get the 6NR stuff. The kits from BimmerTech went in smoothly (combox is actually pretty simple... the camera is much more involved disassembly/install). Loving the Pandora integration. The connected drive app is cool, but I don't know how much I'll really use the Facebook/Twitter integration, but it's fun to play with. I want to give a big thanks to Patryk from BimmerTech for all the support, this retrofit has made me even happier with my GT than I was before and I already LOVED this car!
Can you isolate the cost of the combox retrofit and coding for combox and did you do the install yourself?
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

The remote coding (and cable for it) was included in the price. I paid ~$1000 USD (there were some paypal fees) for the combox retrofit. I did do the install myself. The combox part was pretty simple, it was the rear camera that involved the majority of the disassembly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

rowat,
I have been looking for an iPod solution with a nice OEM experience, but have not been happy with what I have found so far. The Combox looks like what I have been searching for. A few questions.

The BimmerTech website is not very clear about what you get and what options your GT must have to take advantage of this device. I have navigation and Bluetooth, but no USB connection in the center console, just the Aux port.

Did the Combox come with a USB connection?

Also, can you briefly describe the Combox installation?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

The combox install did come with a replacement USB connection, where the aux plug is now a video in, instead of audio in. My GT already had a USB connection there however, which I just plugged in to the back of it that new connector, if yours doesn't have it, you would probably need to run the cable from there back to the combox. If you contact Patryk with your VIN, I'm sure he can lookup exactly what you will need for your install.

For the combox install in my case, my car had the TCU behind the rear seat, as opposed to the left rear next to the MULF. You'll end up opening up a lot of the trunk (left side floor and center floor), but it's not very difficult. Patryk provides a plug & play connector, so you basically unplug and unbolt the old TCU and then bolt in the combox and plug it in. My USB connection actually ran to the back left of the car, so I had to pull it out of that wire bundle and run it up to where the combox mounted, if your combox will go in the left rear (I think if you don't have the upgraded audio with the big amp, your TCU would be in the left rear), then you wouldn't need to do that step. You'll also need to unplug the MULF, and plug in a fiberoptic terminator loop that Patryk supplies. The last part is to run the video wires from the AV-In connector (USB & 1/8" jack) through the center console and up into the CIC and pin it into the connector... this part was pretty easy also. After that it's just a matter of the remote coding.

Also, I see that you are in San Jose, CA ... I think I recall seeing somewhere that Patryk had someone in the bay area he worked with that could probably do the install for you if you didn't want to tackle it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I sent Patrys an email with my VIN and am anxiously waiting for a reply.

Indeed there is an installer in Fremont, less than a half hour away.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Thanks Ryan for the positive feedback!
I have to say you did a really good job installing it all yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

how difficult is it to retrofit the reverse camera - and what is involved? - I have an F10 so would be slightly different, but already have the Pro Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't say the retrofit of the camera was too difficult, but it was very time consuming. I had to disassemble a large portion of the rear tailgate to install the camera and then route the cable in the headliner, then down a pillar and then all the way to the front to the CIC. It was more involved than I had thought it was going to be. In the F10, this might be less work especially in the tailgate and routing since it's not a hatchback like the F07 is.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
sunnyUK
Private
Rep

Thanks - I'm going to get some quotes from local BMW dealers (prepared for shock!) before deciding if DIY is the way for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Sunnyuk, please could you update us on your quotes.

Very interesting thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
sunnyUK
Private
Rep

I've given up for the moment :

One dealer said there was no upgrade for my car ( Nov 2010), another quoted Labour - £1400 Inc + Parts - £831.01 Inc.

This was on another thread

http://www.douglasparkhamiltonbmw.co....html?id=12712

£1269 inclusive.

You can also get the kit from Patryk@bimmer-tech.net but the price has gone up due to BMW increasing prices.. There is someone in the UK who can fit it aswell.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
blkcofy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT Sport Dinan

This is DEFINITELY my next upgrade!! I was planning the Hamann body kit...but this totally changes things. I had the car in for service and my dealer gave me a new 5-series loaner and the ConnectDrive made me extremely jealous...this changes EVERYTHING!! First the ConnectDrive and then the Rear Camera! Now if they'd only provide a plug and play audio upgrade!
550i GT Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Ivory White and Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Black Foose Legend Staggered 20s, DVDinMotion software, H&R Lowering Springs, Black Kidney Grill swap, and the Dinan Stage 2 Performance Software: 501 HP @ 5000 RPM / 580 FT-LBS @ 3500 RPM (w/ Cobra iRadar)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
blkcofy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT Sport Dinan

Rowat,
I know it's been awhile since your retrofit. Can you provide status on how its gone? I connected with BimmerTech and they communicated that in order to add the 6NR to my car, I'd loose my BMW Assist...which is my concierge service. Did you loose functionality in order to gain the ability to play videos, apps, from the Combox? That's a tough choice!
550i GT Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Ivory White and Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Black Foose Legend Staggered 20s, DVDinMotion software, H&R Lowering Springs, Black Kidney Grill swap, and the Dinan Stage 2 Performance Software: 501 HP @ 5000 RPM / 580 FT-LBS @ 3500 RPM (w/ Cobra iRadar)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, I did lose the BMW Assist, but I never used it. However, I use Pandora and such on my phone nearly every time I'm in the car and I really like the BMW apps interface. Can't say I've ever used the twitter or Facebook stuff, other than when I first installed it, just to give it a try. I do find it kind of annoying that you can't sleep the phone when the apps are connected, or it disconnects the link, since you can stream pandora in the background generally just fine. It also annoys me that you have to manually launch the right app to provide the feature you want (BMW apps for FB/Twitter/etc, Pandora app for Pandora, etc). I would have to say that even with all of that, and losing the BMW Assist, I'm still happy to have done it. One other thing to note, I've now upgraded to the iPhone 5, and since the 30pin connector is no more, iPod Out (the special phone driven UI not iPod functionality) and video playing probably don't work anymore. I haven't explicitly tested this with the 30pin to Lightning adaptor, but I don't believe it's supposed to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #17
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

This is what i'm looking at getting done as well for my GT Production date = 24/07/2010
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
cuorealfa1
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 F07 GT 535d

Quote:
One other thing to note, I've now upgraded to the iPhone 5, and since the 30pin connector is no more, iPod Out (the special phone driven UI not iPod functionality) and video playing probably don't work anymore. I haven't explicitly tested this with the 30pin to Lightning adaptor, but I don't believe it's supposed to work.
is there a solution now for this?

and how do i know if i have both TCU and MULF or just one of them?

Thanks for your reply.

2010 BMW F07 GT 535d
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
pirrup
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
The combox install did come with a replacement USB connection, where the aux plug is now a video in, instead of audio in. My GT already had a USB connection there however, which I just plugged in to the back of it that new connector, if yours doesn't have it, you would probably need to run the cable from there back to the combox. If you contact Patryk with your VIN, I'm sure he can lookup exactly what you will need for your install.

For the combox install in my case, my car had the TCU behind the rear seat, as opposed to the left rear next to the MULF. You'll end up opening up a lot of the trunk (left side floor and center floor), but it's not very difficult. Patryk provides a plug & play connector, so you basically unplug and unbolt the old TCU and then bolt in the combox and plug it in. My USB connection actually ran to the back left of the car, so I had to pull it out of that wire bundle and run it up to where the combox mounted, if your combox will go in the left rear (I think if you don't have the upgraded audio with the big amp, your TCU would be in the left rear), then you wouldn't need to do that step. You'll also need to unplug the MULF, and plug in a fiberoptic terminator loop that Patryk supplies. The last part is to run the video wires from the AV-In connector (USB & 1/8" jack) through the center console and up into the CIC and pin it into the connector... this part was pretty easy also. After that it's just a matter of the remote coding.

Also, I see that you are in San Jose, CA ... I think I recall seeing somewhere that Patryk had someone in the bay area he worked with that could probably do the install for you if you didn't want to tackle it yourself.

Hi Rowat,

i'm also trying to get the combox installed , but cannot find the MULF module in my GT.

I don't have the TCU module. Can you tell me how you removed the left floor to get to the MULF module?

Hope you can help me find the MULF module and tell me how to get to it

cheers,

pirrup
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Any one here done the upgrade yet ?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
pirrup
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

yes got combox installed and working

will add pictures where i found my MULF module
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
rowat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirrup
yes got combox installed and working

will add pictures where i found my MULF module
Awesome, glad you found it. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I've been pretty buried at work and not much time for anything else!
Appreciate 0