2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Help! Aftermarket Wheels TPMS Malfunction

10-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
ausdude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i M Sport

Help! Aftermarket Wheels TPMS Malfunction

Will someone please try and assist me? I purchased new forged wheels for my car. They are 20" BC Forged HB-04. I wanted to keep my original wheels intact so I ordered new TPM sensors for the new wheels. After driving 30 - 40 miles the TPMS Malfunction would come on. I took the car in to the dealership and they said that the main board in the car needed replacing. They did this and put the OLD wheels back on the car and asked me to drive it for the weekend. I did with no issues. They then said that they took the old senors out of the tires and swapped them with the new sensors. Mounted the new wheels with the old sensors and the malfunction occurred immediately. They said that the new wheels have metal valve stems and caps and that the caps were magnetic causeing interference with the senor's radio waves. They placed plastic caps on the valve stems and drove it a few times without a malfunction. I took the car for the weekend and drove it a lot and the malfunction returned. They then said that the metal valve stems were causing the interference so they tried attaching the TPMS, with adhesive, to the opposite side of the wheels from the valve stems. This did not hold up and fell apart.... I wondering if they ever even swapped the sensors.... they swear they did

Can some one help me so that I do not have to turn the entire monitoring system off? Had anyone ever heard of this? Any experts?? I called Discount Tire and they said that they will need special management approval to mess with $1000 wheels because they cannot guarantee they would not damage them. I called Tire Rack and they were of no assistance either.

Last edited by ausdude; 10-24-2014 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
SteelersF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 550

I just installed a new set of wheels and I'm having the same problem. How did you solve yours?
      12-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
ausdude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersF10 View Post
I just installed a new set of wheels and I'm having the same problem. How did you solve yours?
BMW has not been able to correct the issue. They have changed all sensors, placed my old sensors in to the new wheels... They have tried everything except for replacing OEM sensors with an after market brand. The issues seems to be the my metal valve stems causing innerference with the radio waves. The OEM valve stems are not metal but they will not work with my new wheels. BMW did spend 2 months and a lot of trial and error attempting to correct the issue.
      12-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

I had a similar issue. I had discount tire swap out the working TPMS from my OEM wheels/tires and put them in my aftermarket wheels. It solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
ausdude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
I had a similar issue. I had discount tire swap out the working TPMS from my OEM wheels/tires and put them in my aftermarket wheels. It solved the issue.
I've swapped mine back and forth twice. Both the original and newTPMS work great in my original wheels but both fail in my new wheels but only because of the aftermarket metal valve stems. If I could use bmw valve stems I would be fine, but they will not fit in my new wheels.

The failures are sparatic, sometime 500 or so miles and sometimes 25 miles between failures.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
SteelersF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
I've swapped mine back and forth twice. Both the original and newTPMS work great in my original wheels but both fail in my new wheels but only because of the aftermarket metal valve stems. If I could use bmw valve stems I would be fine, but they will not fit in my new wheels.

The failures are sparatic, sometime 500 or so miles and sometimes 25 miles between failures.
Not sure if you solved your TPMS problem but I ordered a set from ecstuning part no#36106856227 for my 2011 550 manufactured 7/11. Put them in my aftermarket wheels......problem solved....
      01-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
ausdude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersF10 View Post
Not sure if you solved your TPMS problem but I ordered a set from ecstuning part no#36106856227 for my 2011 550 manufactured 7/11. Put them in my aftermarket wheels......problem solved....
Good to know. This was my next step!