2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just Venting: why can't I get a real oil dipstick on any BMW

06-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #23
GARBAJ
Private
Rep
Drives: I'm hunting a car...agonizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Great analogy.

My 1st experience with the "dipstick issue" was when all the idiot lights came on warning of my low oil level from no where. It said I was 1 qt. low, I purchased a quart but through some timely good advice I only filled .5 qt which registered oil level full. I dread at the thought of what it would have read with a full qt added. Half a quart over the line at high speeds, not something I would be too happy about.

Singularly the most frustrating part of my current F10 so far.
You hit the nail on the head; there is no real way to tell exactly, and the digital gauge just won't be as accurate as the stick. That service writer at the BMW dealership was right... While not a "bad lot", the vast majority of owners don't know, or know enough to care... Ignorance truly must be bliss...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #24
Fithian
BMWCCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
It's time for someone to take this opportunity and come up with an easy to install/modify dipstick for the F10. I was looking at the Audi S4 before I bought my car and that one does not come with a dipstick either but you can get one if you want
There's a thread about that for the S5. Something similar for the bimmer ought to work.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...k-for-their-S5
While no dipstick is a pain in the ass, it applies to my wife's car, and I don't change the oil on the F10. The run flats is another problem. It came with Goodyears, one of which bubbled, and pulling to the right from the steering programming. I don't care to drag around a spare like I did with my E92 for 45k miles. Next purchase for me will be a 2013 S5.
2011 F10 535i 8A PP SP 27k miles
2013 S5 6M PP SP 7k miles 7/24/12

Last edited by Fithian; 04-07-2012 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
The title says it all. I'll have to head for a 2012 E63 with an old fashioned oil dip-stick.
BMW uses a digital dipstick, and it will only give you a reading when the oil reaches ideal temperature.

The traditional dipstick is a bit flawed, since some people do check their oil when the car is cold (so they don’t burn themselves). However, oil does expand with heat and tiny bubbles generated from running the car. With your traditional way and checking it cold, if it shows “full,” it’s likely overfilled once the oil reaches operating temperature.

I understand you’re anal, but not buying a car because it has a digital dipstick instead of the traditional one is outrageous. That’s like saying you prefer a car w/o tracking control or ABS, because you would rather be in control. You forget that a 5 series is a luxury sedan, and not having to pull out a rag and grease up your hands to check the oil should be standard for a refined car. BMW sets the trend, then others will follow (i.e. iDrive and RFTs).

My oil level stays at ideal between oil changes, so I don’t even bother checking it anymore. The only model that you would need to check frequently and have to top it off between changes, is the 550i (and passively M5). Those engines are thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Since my previous post in this thread I've experienced an oil level sensor failure.
It had always displayed the level in green and almost at the full mark, which was physically echoed by the level on the dipstick - something I check weekly at the very least. Suddenly it changed to yellow and indicated that the system was overfull; naturally I checked the dipstick and, suspecting all manner of problems such as fuel dilution, convinced myself that the dipstick was also over reading (it is extremely sensitive to the slightest variation in ground level).
Anyway, it turned out to be a faulty sensor which was replaced under warranty, but it left me feeling even more relieved to have a proper dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Failures must be a little unusual. I would guess that for every problem with the electronic system, there are at least three with the traditional dipstick (failure to check, checking the wrong fluid, checking the fluid wrong, stuck, broken or missing dipstick, etc.). From the point of view of the manufacturer, the service organization, and the owner who primarily wants to drive, it's no contest.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #28
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
I want to be clear that I think BMWs are great, well-engineered cars. Also, this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63; there are a few others. I am an extremely OCD/anal retentive person. I don't want to type too much on this I Pad, but here is the deal: I went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and explained my concern. The service writer at the BMW dealership agreed with all that I said about the cars most likely being over filled when adhering to the manufacturer's guidance, (residual in the engine, etc.) and that there is no way to EXACTLY confirm with the silly digital gauge. He went on to say that 95%++ of BMW owners come in with a "suit and tie" on, and just want the oil change "taken care of". Though I've done well in life, I grew up working on, racing, and rebuilding cars and have been changing oil for in excess of 34 years. My grandfather, who taught me most of what I know, worked for an oil filter manufacturer for almost 40 years. You could say I'm kind of passionate about this stuff. I would rather run for the life of a vehicle 1/2 qt low than a 1/4 qt high. Most of today's society knows no better, and couldn't care less, just as the service writer implied. I'll die early I'm sure, due to my intensity BUT I want it right, not close.
Dude, buy a VW Golf (they have dipsticks) and with the tens of thousands you save, get a psychiatrist to help you with your anxiety. You'll live longer and be able to cope with the day when the internal combustion engine disappears (never mind the dipstick).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #29
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Failures must be a little unusual. I would guess that for every problem with the electronic system, there are at least three with the traditional dipstick (failure to check, checking the wrong fluid, checking the fluid wrong, stuck, broken or missing dipstick, etc.). From the point of view of the manufacturer, the service organization, and the owner who primarily wants to drive, it's no contest.
Quite possibly there are some who might stumble across one or more of your envisaged pitfalls, but speaking for myself, I feel more comfortable with the traditional method. Additionally, coming from an old-school engineering background, I've seen several instances of technology outsmarting itself - my own experience proving yet another example.
If you're happy with the electronic system alone, then that's your prerogative and I wouldn't begin to persuade you otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
sanf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI

just had a warning on adding 1 qt of oil ASAP from the screen @ 6000 miles. It was showing "min". funny how right after the qt it was at MAX. i wonder what the range is on how the computer measures....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanf
just had a warning on adding 1 qt of oil ASAP from the screen @ 6000 miles. It was showing "min". funny how right after the qt it was at MAX. i wonder what the range is on how the computer measures....
I noticed that the oil reading does not become accurate until next day (after filling).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #32
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Dude, buy a VW Golf (they have dipsticks) and with the tens of thousands you save, get a psychiatrist to help you with your anxiety. You'll live longer and be able to cope with the day when the internal combustion engine disappears (never mind the dipstick).
yeah when obsession gets to a point where it's over the limit.

I think the OP does not suffer from anxiety problems but working on the car brings back the memory of his grandpa which he enjoys more then anything.

At first when the dipstick on the E60 disappear, I feel like how would I check the oil from now on.

But after going dip stick-less for a few years since the E60, I now don't bother to check the oil level on any car that I drive (I was so anal before that I even check the oil level on a rental car).

Since the E60, I just shift my focus to driving and feeling what the car is telling me instead of poping the hood at every chance that I got and to be honest, I feel that I am enjoying my car more then before.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

This is ridiculous.

You get an advanced car with all kinds of technology and the lack of dipstick is a deal breaker?

The dipstick should have been gone two decades ago. Good thing we have some progress.

This thread has to be a bad attempt at trolling.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
yeah when obsession gets to a point where it's over the limit.

I think the OP does not suffer from anxiety problems but working on the car brings back the memory of his grandpa which he enjoys more then anything.

At first when the dipstick on the E60 disappear, I feel like how would I check the oil from now on.

But after going dip stick-less for a few years since the E60, I now don't bother to check the oil level on any car that I drive (I was so anal before that I even check the oil level on a rental car).

Since the E60, I just shift my focus to driving and feeling what the car is telling me instead of poping the hood at every chance that I got and to be honest, I feel that I am enjoying my car more then before.
I guess, but I'm not really interested in being a grease monkey on a 5 series. I'll leave that to the dealer for the $80,000CAD the car costs.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #35
lanab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 MY12

What's the reason that they removed the oilstick? just a money issue to save costs or something else?

I change oil myself between official services and there's alot of more trouble when you don't have a stick to your disposal as you fill oil and want to check the level, however you can't measure the oil level when the engine has been off for maybe an hour as it needs to reach a certain degree level before it allows you to measure, it adds time of course to the whole oil change process.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #36
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Hey. Sorry if this is a dopy question but why is 1/2 qt low better than 1/4qtr high? Thanks...
If you have more than needed, the crank shaft could potentially "froth" the oil, then making it less viscous, leading to oil starvation on an extreme case. Example being that you can suck a milkshake through a straw, but the last bubbly bit won't go... the same with an oil pump with air.

Also, by the crank case striking the oil, it could cause unnecessary drag in the engine as well.

I've done this by accident in my youth..... the track is not the place to find out, but better than the highway!!

Last edited by krautmeister; 08-08-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Now why would you need one don't your car tell you how much oil you have.
I guess you like going back in time
get Chevy Malibu from what i hear they come with dip stick might as well get Nokia phone
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #38
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Now why would you need one don't your car tell you how much oil you have.
I guess you like going back in time
get Chevy Malibu from what i hear they come with dip stick might as well get Nokia phone
Because digital doesn't always beat analog!!

I want to see how much oil I have, not have a computer tell me how much oil it thinks is there...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #39
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Yes it does
computer tells you how fast you going you gonna replace that also or
how much gas you have in tank
it makes no sense
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
What's the reason that they removed the oilstick? just a money issue to save costs or something else?
I'm sure it would be cheaper to simply have a physical dipstick, rather than the complexities and cost of an expensive sensor. The fact we have an oil condition sensor which features oil level, oil condition and oil temperature, really makes the need for a dipstick redundant.

I've read one technical reason, the need to get a good physical seal for the dipstick due to tighter emission controls. May appear like a lame excuse, but one less hole/issue to address for leaking vapour to the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #41
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Not to exacerbate this topic, but I think OP topic is more around a distrust of a digital sensor that may or may not malfunction and when a digital sensor as critical as oil level is not reporting the correct "news", the analog mechanical aluminum and steel bits rotating quite fast can fail.

My post on overfilling dangers (frothing) is real and that condition will lead to the sensor asking to add more oil, then you add more oil, further complicating the situation.

Now, yes if you are sitting on the marketing team in Munich and you're doing a consumer study... Yes a digital gauge makes all the sense in the world when you are vertically integrated and drive the consumer back to your dealership for higher margin service.

The dealership trips condition the prototypical luxury consumer to either continue to go to the dealer or have an opportunity for a new sale to another car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #42
Texase34
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

As a previous e38 owner who had to replace the dvd nav drive a few times , I agree with the op. I have no trust in the electronics and I can say something related to the I drive system or sensor will go out at some point.with the e38 it wasn't a proble since it didn't affect oil checking , but I can see it being an issue in the future when these cars are being bought by cheaper owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #43
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If the oil level is too high the surface can be frothed by vortices generated by the rotating crankshaft (known as windage). This can result in an oil/air mixture being pumped around the engine; i.e., reduced lubrication.
Worst case scenario, if the level was sufficiently high, it could be contacted by a descending piston under heavy braking or acceleration, resulting in substantial engine damage.
Said a simpler way, "You ever try running in a swimming pool?". Aside from this simple statement- all the comments above apply, in addition to seal damage. Someone mentioned in a recent post that the digital version was pretty accurate. Let me reiterate, I don't want "close"... I want exact, actually just under-filled is preferable. Again, BMWs are fantastic, beautiful, well-engineered vehicles. No matter what I do, I will always notice them on the road or parking lots. But, I most likely will order the new AMG E63 Biturbo when it comes out this fall. I wish no one any grief, and have really enjoyed this on-line community.
Said even simpler: if you overfill the oil, the resulting foul smelling sebaceous secretion can be found below the base of the prepuce. I believe BMW calls this SMEGMA.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #44
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
From what I understand when I had my E60 the reason there is no dipstick is because the oil pan is baffled to control the oil while performance driving. There are multiple sumps and a dipstick would only check one sump. The reason it takes so long to make a measurement when you tell it to is its waiting for the auxiliary pumps to pump all the oil into the main sump. That's why the car has to be still, level, and the engine running while the measurement is taking place.
Appreciate 0