2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just Venting: why can't I get a real oil dipstick on any BMW

08-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #45
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Though I am one which would argue the point of having a mechanical way to "check" the oil; this breaks down to the level of trust you have with electronics. Ask any food and beverage industry worker and they'll tell you no way they only have a digital thermometer. Although in most cases accurate, the electronic sensor and other components are prone to failure, where as a mechanical or manual dip stick can only fail by human error. I too appreciate a dip stick, for reasons which have already been stated. However, I check the oil level every time I drive the vehicle, and although the service interval says "14000" between oil changes... I laugh, and change it every 5k..

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #46
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_308 View Post
Though I am one which would argue the point of having a mechanical way to "check" the oil; this breaks down to the level of trust you have with electronics. Ask any food and beverage industry worker and they'll tell you no way they only have a digital thermometer. Although in most cases accurate, the electronic sensor and other components are prone to failure, where as a mechanical or manual dip stick can only fail by human error. I too appreciate a dip stick, for reasons which have already been stated. However, I check the oil level every time I drive the vehicle, and although the service interval says "14000" between oil changes... I laugh, and change it every 5k..
One of the biggest problems with pilots (and controllers) today is they rely too, too much on technology and little on their own "mechanical" skills. One controller actually said, after he climbed one airplane right into another, that TCAS (the Traffic Collision Advoince System) would fix it if it would become a problem. It did... MAJORLY!!! It was UGLY!!!

And for self-driving cars.... Do the advocates actually want a computer programmer driving their cars???
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #47
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
One of the biggest problems with pilots (and controllers) today is they rely too, too much on technology and little on their own "mechanical" skills. One controller actually said, after he climbed one airplane right into another, that TCAS (the Traffic Collision Advoince System) would fix it if it would become a problem. It did... MAJORLY!!! It was UGLY!!!

And for self-driving cars.... Do the advocates actually want a computer programmer driving their cars???
Of course not, bless his soul, but look what happen to the guy that put his Tesla on "Auto Pilot", it piloted his vehicle right into another, then right into a jersey wall.

From what I understand rather was told by some Airforce Heavy pilots; most commercial aircraft are flown by Auto pilot from take off to landing. As they stated "the pilot is along for the ride like you, the difference is they are seated to take control of the airframe if there is an emergency, or on the spot correction"

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #48
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_308 View Post
Of course not, bless his soul, but look what happen to the guy that put his Tesla on "Auto Pilot", it piloted his vehicle right into another, then right into a jersey wall.

From what I understand rather was told by some Airforce Heavy pilots; most commercial aircraft are flown by Auto pilot from take off to landing. As they stated "the pilot is along for the ride like you, the difference is they are seated to take control of the airframe if there is an emergency, or on the spot correction"
Yup... And computers can't fly, either! If one trusts the computer programmer, take an Airbus (they have a tray table, not a "steering wheel" (yoke). If one trusts the human "computer", take a Boeing. As the saying goes: If it ain't Boeing I ain't going!!

The stories I could tell....
Appreciate 0