2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Tailgating Morons!

09-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Tailgating Morons!

Anyone else here get this? Driving on a 30/40/60 or the Motorway and other drivers driving so close I can if they are wearing contact lenses in my rear view mirror. It really makes me angry because I drive carefully, I stick to the speed limit and I can't pull in to let the other driver pass due to traffic, they cn't go any further than the car in front of me - Normally drivers in an estate with their family in the car - crazy.
The other day a van with some stripes intentionally tailgated me on a dual carriageway on my way home from a shopping trip, I passed a car and pulled in to let him pass, what he did next left me stunned. He pulled in front of me and slammed his brakes on!! What a twit, and then he drove off. Fortunately the Wife was with me and she calmed me down . If I ever have to suffer road rage the other driver is going to be in for a shock - I'm a black belt in self defence, oriental weaponry & I also have a green belt in kickboxing.

calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Short answer is no but then I guess it depends where and what time of the day your travelling which would in turn dictate what kind of other road users are about.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
IanHg
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S

You haven't set your speedo to Km/h?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHg View Post
You haven't set your speedo to Km/h?

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

Having just spent 3 weeks driving in the USA I have to say in general this country is pretty good. Putting makeup on, texting and cutting people seemed the norm although nobody ever seemed to be angry it was just the accepted way to drive.

I had a moron tailgate me giving me loads of abuse when he eventually passed me. I find smiling or blowing a kiss is a response they all enjoy...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
wicked5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

If your windows are not already tinted at the rear then I would recommend this. I use my rear blind so that it takes away the pressure of the driver behind knowing I am watching them in the mirror - And just drive normally. I have found that the blind has made me feel relaxed when I am being tailgated. May sound stupid but it works for me, give it a try?

Don't react to people like this, and that does not mean increasing speed to get over the lane to let them by either. Just drive how you feel comfortable and ignore them with the blind up Infact I am sure that when they tail gate me and I lift the blind it will piss them off more by ignoring them..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
IanHg
Rep

I found auto dimming mirrors all round useful for ignoring tailgaters at night.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

More often than not it's a BMW that is sitting on my rear bumper...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
dufctubs
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

I find the paddle-shift is a great trick for down changing to piss them off even more ! :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I spoke to a Policeman who I do kick boxing about it and he suggested the following:
Buy a toy flat Policeman cap/hat and put it on the rear parcel shelf, people will think it's an unmarked police car. So I tried it, now I've had no one tailgating me for a few days - brilliant!
He said if I get stopped by an actual Policeman and quizzed about it, just say it belongs to my Son. Strangely, not many cars seem to want to overtake me either.

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
I spoke to a Policeman who I do kick boxing about it and he suggested the following:
Buy a toy flat Policeman cap/hat and put it on the rear parcel shelf, people will think it's an unmarked police car. So I tried it, now I've had no one tailgating me for a few days - brilliant!
He said if I get stopped by an actual Policeman and quizzed about it, just say it belongs to my Son. Strangely, not many cars seem to want to overtake me either.
Reminds me of back in 1990 when I had one of the first Cavalier GSi 2000 models in white. Wiltshire police were running white Senator models at the time. Looked very similar from behind, out on the road. Often there were two of us in the car in our shirts. Was a strange feeling controlling the speed of the traffic on the M4. Hardly anyone would overtake, if they did, would do so at about 1 or 2 mph faster if I was close to 70mph.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
wicked5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Funny you should say that, another suggestion was to put a flouresent vest on the parcel shelf. I've seen some people do this (maybe inocently_ but it works too)

Hehe...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #13
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Difficult to keep calm, also hate the slow coaches in wrong lane

Yes I agree, very annoying, especially when they will go no faster if they pass you as you're going at a speed that is a safe distance behind the car in front...

I tend to accelerate and find a gap to let them pass, BUT is generally always happens near an overhead camera! So you have to be careful and avoid the anger (very hard I know).

What burns me too though is a) Middle lane hoggers who have no reason to be there and b) when your'e in the fast lane say in a 50 zone and the car in front is doing 40 or less and won't let you pass...(and there's nothing in front of them); I know it's wrong but I usually go into inside lane, go along side them slowly, and then go in front of them... not aggressively or anything... on many occasions that driver has clapped his hands or done other rude gestures... easy to get riled

Last edited by jedpause; 09-16-2014 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
IanHg
Rep

Must admit that I find it easier and less stressful to drive a bit quicker on the motorway. If there's nothing coming past you then makes for a much easier journey - can't have everyone doing that of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Forget about all that...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Yes I agree, very annoying, especially when they will go no faster if they pass you as you're going at a speed that is a safe distance behind the car in front...

I tend to accelerate and find a gap to let them pass, BUT is generally always happens near an overhead camera! So you have to be careful and avoid the anger (very hard I know).

What burns me too though is a) Middle lane hoggers who have no reason to be there and b) when your'e in the fast lane say in a 50 zone and the car in front is doing 40 or less and won't let you pass...(and there's nothing in front of them); I know it's wrong but I usually go into inside lane, go along side them slowly, and then go in front of them... not aggressively or anything... on many occasions that driver has clapped his hands or done other rude gestures... easy to get riled
Agree hate people who think that because they are driving at the legal limit they can just lane hog and control traffic by some devine given right. In this situation I may get a little closer to someone to gently remind them that they have options to move over and let the traffic flow, alternatively I may use the same undertaking manoeuvre mentioned above.

I tend to drive quickly when alone on the motorway, but still use all three lanes and my indicators when changing lane. Got to leave others to make their own decisions about the speed that they want to drive at imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

dont you just flash your lights? Almost everywhere in Europe where I've been people do it if someone is in the fast lane and not moving. Works like a charm, especially at night. I hate tailgating and this is one of the reasons why I always drive about 10-15 km/h over the limit. But sometimes when im tired i just stick the to limits and what I've found to be working also is to slightly press the brakes just to light up the tail lights and the one behind me will either back up or over take me. Another thing I've seen is people flash their hazard lights when been tailgating.
      10-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #19
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Flashing can work for the stubborn ones, sometimes indicating works...

Definitely agree with hazard lights; nearly had a Merc smash into me at an off-ramp, he was doing probably 90-100 mph and I was doing 70... so fast his car was bouncing.... popped the hazards on, he backed of rapidly... and then I let him pass... he overtook at over 100 mph again, idiot
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #20
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Ever since i got a 330d and now a 530d i dont find people tailgate me any more... But a few speeding tickets have come in the post and i get through tyres like bog roll
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:53 AM   #21
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I tend to find people who hog the 3rd lane doing 70 mph or under when there are options to move over have absolutely no spacial awareness... They are generally just focusing on what's happening ahead of them and pay little or no attention on what's behind or to the side of them...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #22
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Ever since i got a 330d and now a 530d i dont find people tailgate me any more... But a few speeding tickets have come in the post and i get through tyres like bog roll
Yeah since I got my white F10 530d the motorway generally clears for me when people see me coming and not many will tailgate as you said. Mind you my X5 was the same, those things are intimidating when they come up behind you and fill out your whole rear view mirror!
Appreciate 0