2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding EQ settings

02-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
steverw
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

EQ settings

I recently got a 2013 CPO 528i with the 16-speaker factory setup, it's a very nice car. The Genius at the dealer recommended turning up the bass and treble EQ to create what he called the "classic BMW U shape". Normally I leave everything flat, so I was dubious. I was surprised that it sounds much better with treble way up, and bass turned up to just before it starts to boom (both in the EQ screen and at the top level treble/bass controls). Clear sound that's fun to listen to (can't say the same for when everything is flat). This being a new-to-me car, and 20 years since my last BMW, I was wondering, is it within the range of normal for the top hifi system to need this kind of extreme tweaking of the EQ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

alot of times just setting the EQ will change everything. what's your source of music input? i notice if i use the USB it's not as clear and loud than say using my Android through Blutooth.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
There are many, many threads on the total disaster BMW calls "top hi fi". Simply put, the best system BWM now offers for the F10 is absolute crap. You get better sound in a Chevy delivery van.
Bavsound has built an entire business out of supplying replacement speakers for the legion of audio-disappointed F10 owners, but I can tell you I've installed all of their Stage One kit and the Ghost underseat subwoofers, and the result, while improved, is miles off the audio experience available in other luxury vehicles -- doesn't even compare favorably with the Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system that "top hi fi" replaced in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
steverw
Rep

MOST DSP/DAC off-ramp to an analog amp?

I'm not so organized that I can pre-load a device with the songs I want to play during the 2-3 hours I spend daily in my car. I listen to FM if there's something on, otherwise Spotify from iPhone. Sometimes satellite radio. I haven't got Spotify figured out yet, so far I can only browse and play what's been saved on the iPhone. But the whole point of Spotify is to stream any of the millions of tunes they have on tap, so I'm sure BMW has a way for me to browse the whole Spotify catalog, I just didn't find it yet.

Regarding the top hifi sound, I saw one thread that mentioned using a MOST DSP/DAC as a bridge to a replacement amplifer that doesn't have MOST. Changing the DAC and going to an analog amp would have an impact on the sound. Could people share their experiences with this mObridge DSP (or similar): http://www.mobridge.us/products/da3-dsp-professional?
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I wish there was a way to save multiple Pre-set EQ settings. I was thinking today, maybe there would be a way to use user-profiles to toggle between them. Has anyone tried this or something else.

I am not looking for too many profiles but wish I could conveniently make some switches depending on if I was listening to Sports, talk radio, or something like a podcast vs various styles of music.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
alot of times just setting the EQ will change everything. what's your source of music input? i notice if i use the USB it's not as clear and loud than say using my Android through Blutooth.
Hey, question for you lstubrointeg: (or anyone else who can answer). What is the source for the best quality audio? USB cord? Bluetooth? I use Apple Music a lot and almost always go with the USB cord connection so it also keeps my phone charged, but I don't know enough about audio to know if there is a marketable difference between the two.

What I do know is the BimmerTech Amp has my system sounding awesome!
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
Hey, question for you lstubrointeg: (or anyone else who can answer). What is the source for the best quality audio? USB cord? Bluetooth? I use Apple Music a lot and almost always go with the USB cord connection so it also keeps my phone charged, but I don't know enough about audio to know if there is a marketable difference between the two.

What I do know is the BimmerTech Amp has my system sounding awesome!
big time difference from USB and Bluetooth! i've listen thru USB for like a year until i realized i can hook my phone through Bluetooth. i noticed it right away the bass seemed to hit a bit harder and my mids/highs seemed more clear! my wife noticed it too! and that's with stock speakers.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
big time difference from USB and Bluetooth! i've listen thru USB for like a year until i realized i can hook my phone through Bluetooth. i noticed it right away the bass seemed to hit a bit harder and my mids/highs seemed more clear! my wife noticed it too! and that's with stock speakers.
I had never streamed through Bluetooth so I do not have a comparison. I believe you, but that just surprises me that Bluetooth would sound better.

I use external HDD and flash drives so I guess I am out of luck.

Have you compared Bluetooth to 3.5mm jack?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I had never streamed through Bluetooth so I do not have a comparison. I believe you, but that just surprises me that Bluetooth would sound better.

I use external HDD and flash drives so I guess I am out of luck.

Have you compared Bluetooth to 3.5mm jack?
the 3.5mm jack and USB sound the same!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Jcbama85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting article about this topic:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YhRN60D...d_quality.html
BimmerTech Amp
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbama85 View Post
Interesting article about this topic:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YhRN60D...d_quality.html
Pretty much what I had read previously, but nicely summed up.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I use the snap-in adapter. I am quite satisfied with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You know are there any EQ apps on the Android that can be used through Bluetooth since I don't have those options on my head unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

I use Volume+. There are separate phone Speakers, Headset, Bluetooth, and In-Call settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
There are many, many threads on the total disaster BMW calls "top hi fi". Simply put, the best system BWM now offers for the F10 is absolute crap. You get better sound in a Chevy delivery van.
Bavsound has built an entire business out of supplying replacement speakers for the legion of audio-disappointed F10 owners, but I can tell you I've installed all of their Stage One kit and the Ghost underseat subwoofers, and the result, while improved, is miles off the audio experience available in other luxury vehicles -- doesn't even compare favorably with the Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system that "top hi fi" replaced in 2010.
I am not disagree with you on anything you say or I Do Not consider my self as a expert on sound. Only thing I like to add at least in my 2013 F10 stock sound is amazing. BMW in general builds in Gr8 sound in all models I know form experience. Because I use to drive various different models and years.
Appreciate 0