2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BBC - BMW owners hit by hi-tech theft

09-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshulla View Post
This isn't making comfortable reading. The adviser I spoke to was very specific in saying the F10 prior to Sept 2011 had the vunerability. This matched the BBC report.

Now others are getting different answers. The cynic in me would ask if this change is due to the number of owners ringing about this and the potential cost to rectify.

Is this only an issue in the UK? none of the US members seem to be weighing in on this.
Not a 100% sure too, but looking at the fix currently available for the X6 and X5, both are E generation cars, I guess the key system for the E cars with key sliding into dashboard was updated in September 2011, hence this dates being referred to on the reports, as to the F10 models this was never the case, after all F10 system and F25 X3 are key less and different from the E models.

Looking at this from a different angle, I guess it will be a big error for BMW & Customer Services after all the bad publicity to screw up again and miss lead us after contacting them directly.

For the US side I guess and only a guess, the rules are different to the EU ones, as per BBC report the key copy systems used in the UK are legally available for competition purposes with independents garages. maybe in the US systems like this are illegal hence not easy to get hold of them on the 1st place.

Question was the adviser you spoke to at Dealer or BMW customer services?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #24
Mshulla
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport

I was speaking to BMW UK customer service.

This morning I contacted the lease company, I explained the conflicting information, so they contacted BMW and were told the car isn't vunerable to this theft.
They then said BMW CS wanted to speak to me directly. They apologised for any confusion caused and confirmed Fxx models are not at risk.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
TheQuantumChicken
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d with MFID,HUD + Toys

I got this from my dealer.

"Following on from the BBC Watchdog report, we have had correspondence from BMW confirming that models in the BMW range of concern were built from 2007 to September 2011. For these cars a quality enhancement is available to mitigate against this type of attack. The current 5 Series range(F10) has not been affected by this issue."
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

To add to the confusion, this came to my inbox this morning:

Quote:
Dear Dr

Thank you for your email dated September 17, 2012, regarding the recent media reports relating to vehicle security.

Please be assured that your vehicle was built to a standard that meets all required legislations in terms of security and safety. Criminal activity of all kinds is becoming increasingly sophisticated and particularly in this electronic age, is evolving with incredible speed.

I can advise you that your vehicle, BMW 530d SE Touring is an F generation model; therefore, it is not affected by the particular type of theft using the equipment shown in the media recently.

I am sorry for any concerns this matter has brought you and I trust that I have provided the assurances you require. Obviously, no vehicle manufacturer can ever guarantee against the ever evolving sophistication of criminal activity. Any security actions taken by BMW cannot be regarded as an absolute guarantee against theft in the future or any attacks from criminal elements.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
Mick Robinson
Customer Information Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: +44 (0)800 325 600
Fax: +44 (0)870 5050 205
Mailto: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
To add to the confusion, this came to my inbox this morning:
Hi psyxologos,

I am fine, I got two calls from BMW UK and Ireland confirming the F model not affected, now on the part regarding new risks, this will always be the case, the question is more on how easy it is done and how frequent rather on the question can your car be hacked in, the way the idrive is going god know what the BBC headline will be in 5 years time, BMW are now developing a key that serves as your payment card, you can use to pay just like the debit/credit card, now that scares me, your car and bank account hacked in by just swiping the key in some fake machine set up to copy the lot, imagine that.
I also read once about a Belgium company working on security systems, and how they managed to copy a key less key remotely while the owner was getting into his car. thanks god the purpose was to show how they can help with closing does gap in systems.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #28
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

I phoned BMW UK Customer Services today. They checked using my reg. no. and told me that:
My F10 was built in November 2010 and therefore needed the security modification.
The mod is not yet ready but should be within 8 weeks.
Either they or my local dealer would contact me in due course to arrange to make the mod on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

hm, wonder why my dealer modified something to my car, when so many other dealers said Fxx models are not affected?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #30
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
hm, wonder why my dealer modified something to my car, when so many other dealers said Fxx models are not affected?
What exactly was modified? Did he tell you / can you find out? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #31
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
I left my car at a BMW dealership here in Bulgaria for maintenance and it seems they are doing a security upgrade to it by adding a second BMW immobiliser into the key.

I wonder if that's connected to this case. Anybody else had that before?

My car is Sep 2010 550xi.
Okay ... I see your earlier post. Maybe you can find out some specifics from the dealer? Could you ask him directly, if it is related to the known security issues in the UK market cars? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post
I phoned BMW UK Customer Services today. They checked using my reg. no. and told me that:
My F10 was built in November 2010 and therefore needed the security modification.
Either they or my local dealer would contact me in due course to arrange to make the mod on my car.
In my case they did take the Reg No for both X3 and F10, before confirming both cars not affected, this is confusing as they did reference the F model as the reason behind why cars are not affected rather than production dates, both cars are 2011 production delivered before Sep2011.
Hell this is really confusing, I be checking with my Dealer to see if any clarification on this non sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #33
Mshulla
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshulla View Post
This isn't making comfortable reading. The adviser I spoke to was very specific in saying the F10 prior to Sept 2011 had the vunerability. This matched the BBC report.

Now others are getting different answers. The cynic in me would ask if this change is due to the number of owners ringing about this and the potential cost to rectify.

Is this only an issue in the UK? none of the US members seem to be weighing in on this.

Posted this on the UK forum. My car has been recalled for a Security Software upgrade! Booked in for 10th Dec.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

My Nov 2010 F11 is also booked in next week for the security software update. Not sure why some dealers are saying it does not affect F10/11's as some dealers clearly think it does and are calling customers who have production dates inside the affected window. I was told update will take 45 mins to apply so its a "while-u-wait" job. Will try and find specific details of the fix when I take it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
Mshulla
Rep

BMW have managed this pretty poorly. Lots of conflicting information being released. I was told my car was affected when I contacted them back in Sept, then was told F series wasn't affected, so was surprised when the rang me to book the car in for an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post
Indeed, my local dealer did contact me recently and booked me in to have the mod carried out - then rang me the day before the appointment to cancel it, saying that no F10 models were affected!
I rang BMW UK again to check and this time they said my car was not affected and didn't need the security mod.

What a shambles!
Appreciate 0