2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Koni Sport adjustable installed on a F10 535i

04-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #23
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
@2tek here's how it currently sits with Koni's and Eibach OE. The one in the garage is with Koni's and Eibach. The one outside is with Eibach / blown shocks and you can see the rear sags. The one in the garage has a nice strong stance.
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
That's why I went with ACS, they have a two year warranty on Suspension related parts that fail. Obviously they will tell you to visit BMW first and if they stall you should contact them. I rang them prior to booking my car in.

They must have some sort of deal with BMW on this side of the pond.

Their springs are not the cheapest and they also insist you install using BMW official garages. Which I did. Shame they don't do dampers or full coilovers, I would have just done that.
cool that your BMW dealership will do that as some dealers won't...KUDOS for you tho! ACS tho from what i've read and seen is the most mild drop of all the springs and i'm wondering if that's why BMW will warranty it?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
@2tek here's how it currently sits with Koni's and Eibach OE. The one in the garage is with Koni's and Eibach. The one outside is with Eibach / blown shocks and you can see the rear sags. The one in the garage has a nice strong stance.
nice comparison! you can totally see the weight of the vehicle with the blown shock is pretty much sitting all that weight on the springs without the help of the shocks. what a difference!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Thanks for that comparison photo. The mod will be on my list once warranty is over next year. I've contacted Koni and KW directly to ask about warranty cover and they told me they don't offer any.

Another 13 months left on mine. Car is booked in for OEMs on Friday. Will see how long the OEMs last with ACS from new.

I hope BMW just change the shocks only and not attempt to do the entire coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek
Quote:
Thanks for that comparison photo. The mod will be on my list once warranty is over next year. I've contacted Koni and KW directly to ask about warranty cover and they told me they don't offer any.

Another 13 months left on mine. Car is booked in for OEMs on Friday. Will see how long the OEMs last with ACS from new.

I hope BMW just change the shocks only and not attempt to do the entire coilovers.
Yeah mine weren't new so it will be interesting to see the tolerance of aftermarket spring / stock shock life.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles
First thing to mention here is never put any lowering spring on your car without the proper shocks to match. I blew out my stock shocks 2 days after installing my Eibach OE springs. And those are the mild options from Eibach. The other thing to mention is get a shock designed to deal with lowered cars. For Koni it's sport adjustable and Bilstien B8. Take a look at the stock struts vs Koni's sports and the amount of travel Koni has over the OEM strut. M5 forums say the Dinan equivalent to Koni adjustable is 1 1/4 turn in rear and 1 full turn in front. I tried that and 1 1/4 turn is max so not sure why they say that. I turned them 50% 3/4 turn. We'll see how that goes.

I'm literally in the middle of install and will update to this thread as I get more seat time.
Are there any springs that are designed to be used with stock shocks. I have m sport suspension and ddc and want to do springs. Can't really find anything for my 535 Xdrive in way of shocks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #29
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I think you can use M Sport Springs and possibly Dinan. A big maybe on the Dinan. M Sport Springs almost 100% certain.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #30
Vapiano
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix AW- 2007 Dinan M5

Nice review and DIY. I had the Dinan S3 suspension on my E60 545 which used Koni shocks as well. It was an amazing set up, loved the way the car handled, felt like it was on rails and was not bouncing around. I agree that switching the shocks to match the springs is the way to go.
2007 M5, 6 speed, Silver Gray Metallic, Full Black Merino Leather, Brushed Ti Trim, HUD, Active M Comfort Seats/Heated & Cooled, Navi, Premium Sound, HK L7, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Rear & Side Sunshades, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Voice Command, Custom S/W, Passport 9500ci w/jammers, Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intakes, CF Front Strut Brace, S1 Suspension & Free Flow Exhaust, Evolve S2 Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ok plenty of driving time behind me now and I have to say the best configuration on the N55 IMHO is

Front 1 - 1/4 turns up from soft
Rear 1 - 3/4 turns up from soft

Perfectly absorbs road anomalies of all sizes low and high speeds with sportiness. At high speeds rebound on large dips it has a very quick recovery, again in sports like fashion.

Please keep in mind that I have Eibach OE springs, M5 sways on a 3900+ lbs car. This may vary for others depending on weight and suspension on their platform.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #32
bojan.u
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e60

Anybody tried to cut original at bottom, shortened it about 3 cm and weld it again?
Appreciate 0