2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rear M Sport Bumper OEM vs Aftermarket

02-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Rear M Sport Bumper OEM vs Aftermarket

Need some help. i'm going to change my rear non M sport to an M sport bumper cover. I did my front and saw this slight fitting issues in certain places.
My question is, are the rear aftermarket covers pretty accurate ? I have a chance to get an OEM off another car but it will have to be painted anyway but maybe easier to paint an new aftermarket than strip a used OEM one.
Decisions, decisions .....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

If there's absolutely nothing wrong with the OE one, like no dents, cracks, etc. just pick up the OE one. If it's dented or cracked in any way, go aftermarket instead of trying to fix it. I had an aftermarket Mtech one on my wife's last car (F10) and fitment was 100% perfect. There is no way anyone can tell it's an aftermarket bumper. Installation was super simple and straightforward also.
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      02-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
If there's absolutely nothing wrong with the OE one, like no dents, cracks, etc. just pick up the OE one. If it's dented or cracked in any way, go aftermarket instead of trying to fix it. I had an aftermarket Mtech one on my wife's last car (F10) and fitment was 100% perfect. There is no way anyone can tell it's an aftermarket bumper. Installation was super simple and straightforward also.
Appreciated, just worried about putting an M5 diffuser in it. Thats the other fitment i was worried about. What diffuser are you using?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Appreciated, just worried about putting an M5 diffuser in it. Thats the other fitment i was worried about. What diffuser are you using?
Yep, I was actually going to mention that. By looking at Mtech vs OE MSport, it's hard to tell the difference but there are slight variations. Replicas cannot exactly copy OE stuff so when buying a lip in the front or diffuser in the rear down the line, you may have to look at ones that will fit Mtech (for Mtech bumper). For the wife's car, we bought the M5 Mtech bumper which came with it's own diffuser so I didn't have issues. I did buy a CF diffuser but never had a chance to even test fit it before the car was sold. Fitment may be a little off but you can always make it work. I think Isturbointeg has an aftermarket bumper + CF diffuser so maybe you can contact him.
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      02-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
Yep, I was actually going to mention that. By looking at Mtech vs OE MSport, it's hard to tell the difference but there are slight variations. Replicas cannot exactly copy OE stuff so when buying a lip in the front or diffuser in the rear down the line, you may have to look at ones that will fit Mtech (for Mtech bumper). For the wife's car, we bought the M5 Mtech bumper which came with it's own diffuser so I didn't have issues. I did buy a CF diffuser but never had a chance to even test fit it before the car was sold. Fitment may be a little off but you can always make it work. I think Isturbointeg has an aftermarket bumper + CF diffuser so maybe you can contact him.
Thanks, yes i saw his post a wile back where he used self tapping screws to make it sit right.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

bro, it's going to be a hit or miss on aftermarket bumpers whether it's the front cover or rear. recently i haven't heard of anybody having really bad issues with aftermarket other than slight fitment issues.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
bro, it's going to be a hit or miss on aftermarket bumpers whether it's the front cover or rear. recently i haven't heard of anybody having really bad issues with aftermarket other than slight fitment issues.
Thanks worried about the M5 Carbon diffuser i want to get. Just planning it out right now. I found a used bumper but has a small cut in it. Going to show a pic of it to my body shop I use and see what they say about fixing it up.
Failing that, its an aftermarket or wait for a good OEM one to pop up!
i'll attach a pic of the damage .
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

That's the cover and the damage. Just above the space for the valence.
Attached Images

02-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

From the pictures is it a rub mark? Looks like you could polish it out with a heavy compound followed by a finish compound
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
From the pictures is it a rub mark? Looks like you could polish it out with a heavy compound followed by a finish compound
Nah, look carefully its cut. my car is sophisto grey anyways. I have to get it painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Does the diffuser not cover a little past the mounting point? Or does it end at the clip right there? Its not that bad looking either way, im sure the body shop could mend/weld a bit of plastic and make it usable.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Does the diffuser not cover a little past the mounting point? Or does it end at the clip right there? Its not that bad looking either way, im sure the body shop could mend/weld a bit of plastic and make it usable.
Diffuser will end right below that broken piece so the shop will have to fix that and repaint it seamlessly for it to not be noticed. Seems like any easy fix. Can't tell but if it's also dented or bent in anyway at that broken section, I'd pass it up and just get aftermarket.
Appreciate 1
dadysev169.00
      02-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

It's fixable, I've repaired far worse.

Depending on the body shop, their labor rate, and the cost of the damaged cover it may not make sense though.
Appreciate 2