2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Winter tyres

12-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Winter tyres

Hi chaps!

Just curious to hear whose running winter tyres. What choice you went for and why and your experience of them.

I'm running Pirelli Sottozero Series 2. I've found them so to be good in winter but I've found last year I put a little more pressure in them than normal and I did get the traction control light come on and a little bit of slip on the rear end when driving over wet mud on the ground near a building site. Other than that they're good. Yet to drive them in snow yet! Can't wait for snow.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi chaps!

Just curious to hear whose running winter tyres. What choice you went for and why and your experience of them.
I'm on the factory option wheels for my car. The 327 style 17" wheels with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

Now on for my 6th winter, (low mileage), no real issues. Still 5 - 6mm of tread, not quite as good on slush/snow this past week, as they were when at full tread. Don't deal quite as well with deep standing water, but that's expected as they wear and we lose some of the water storage/dispersal capacity.

Don't rate them quite as highly as the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme I ran on my 330d. They were a superb tyre for a UK winter.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      12-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I'm on the Vreds that Highland Pete mentions. 2nd winter. 19-inch staggered which isn't ideal but I couldn't get the wheels I wanted (18") in time so decided to just get tyres.

They are very good indeed and feel very sure-footed in the cold. Not had them on real snow yet.

If you are thinking of buying used ones, beware the jokers who claim "4mm of tread left". For a winter tyre, 4mm is worn out.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      12-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I'm on the Vreds that Highland Pete mentions. 2nd winter. ...

They are very good indeed and feel very sure-footed in the cold. Not had them on real snow yet.
The Vreds were excellent on snow, good braking on frozen compacted snow and iced roads. I recall one evening out on about 150mm of fresh snow, nothing about at all. Got a chance to really put them through their paces, couldn't fault them.

Good in standing water, cope well in resisting aqua-planning.

When I had them fitted at my National dealer, the fitter a Polish guy, said, "see you've got the best". Asked him if he really rated them, "definitely". I bought them on recommendation of a German forum member who had used them for several years, to and fro to Germany, including high speed on the autobahn.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      12-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

MrPogle
HighlandPete

Thanks for your replies!

I honestly hadn't heard of this brand. Only the mainstream ones and I thought they would do it. I please to learn that 4mm is nothing to shout about on winter tyres. That depth might be great in summer tyre but I didn't know on winter tyres that's getting less grip etc.

I will keep this brand in mind. Especially if it's used in Germany ?? in there heavy winters where winter tyres are mandatory.

Even in Poland they get a fair bit of snow hence the fitter knew this is top stuff.

Thanks guys!!
Very informative and always happy to learn new information.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:40 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm on the factory option wheels for my car. The 327 style 17" wheels with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

Now on for my 6th winter, (low mileage), no real issues. Still 5 - 6mm of tread, not quite as good on slush/snow this past week, as they were when at full tread. Don't deal quite as well with deep standing water, but that's expected as they wear and we lose some of the water storage/dispersal capacity.

Don't rate them quite as highly as the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme I ran on my 330d. They were a superb tyre for a UK winter.
My second winter on Dunlop 3Ds. I knew they were good, but not this good. DTC off and not even a hint of wheel spin, just straight out of the garage and up the slope. Pic taken yesterday:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0