2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 520d - DPF woes

09-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

520d - DPF woes

Hey guys,

Started having issues with my DPF. It regenerates alright, but the soot mass/backpressure starts increasing very soon after the regen completes - like yesterday 17 grams in 20 km after regeneration. Thing is, car has less than 140k kms, although admittedly half of that is city driving. So, there's of course the chance that the DPF is EOL or at least needs a chemical/mechanical cleaning. My exhaust tips are also sooty. But before I go down the path of cleaning/replacing the DPF (removal is a no go), I'd like to explore potential other causes - e.g.

- a bad exhaust pressure sensor (as it gives me negative values when the car is cold)
- sooted inlet manifold/swirl flaps - going to clean
- boost leak - as bimmer tool reports actual 1010 vs expected 1040, so I might have a small one
- throttle body seems to be failing as I get an occasional error when turning the engine off (but on the other hand as I said when regens run, they run completely fine)

Anything else to check? Oil has otherwise just been changed and is at OK levels. For now I added a DPF cleaning additive, which did help last time.
Appreciate 0