2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New Member 2013 535

02-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

New Member 2013 535

Hello all, thought i would finally sign up after having this car almost a year and just lurking on the forums for ideas/info.

I bought this car April, traded in my E60 M5 for it last year on somewhat of an impulse buy because of the big snow storm that hit the North East. Regret that decision every single day, not because i dislike the car but because of the night and day difference. Already had my share of bad luck with this one, so thought i would post up and get some suggestions on possibly keeping it.

Got it in April with 40K on the clock 1 Owner. I loved the look and the options that came with it. I didn't do much research as i was pressed for time, thinking of that now i would have looked for a 550 or at least the Msport 535.

My M5 prior to trade in:

And the new 5

Didn't think of keeping it long term and had no plans of doing anything to it in the beginning, looking back now i would've been better off if the car got totaled by insurance. Fast forward two months later, i let someone take the wheel during a long distance trip in inclement weather while i rested and this was the outcome.

Supposedly person states was swiped from the rear by another car changing lanes in low visibility and lost control, ended up in a ditch and that is the result of hitting a metal highway sign sliding sideways. Luckily no one was hurt and we didn't run into anyone else on the road. Had a witness stop with same story but other driver fled supposedly. Strange thing is not a single scratch on the rear of my car indicating said swipe. Ended up paying my own deductible and my insurance repairing the car.

During:

Tried to get the aftermarket M-sport bumpers installed as part of my repair but during this time they were back ordered or sold out almost everywhere. After repair took it to BMW to have it re-inspected. They replaced front left damaged cv axle with other suspension components, left side hub bearing, and i believe a slightly bent control arm along with finding 3 badly damaged wheels. This damage was not apparent after the accident so was never found by anyone other than BMW after i took it in and after the bodywork was done. I believe the insurance would have possibly totaled the car had this damage been found before repair.

Nothing i could do at that point, i bought a set of used Sport wheels to replace the OEM ones and kept moving.

That's where the car stands as of today. I tried a few times to get rid of it but my carfax now has the accident on it and has killed the value of the car somewhat, plus a bit of negative equity i brought on from the M5 don't know if i should keep the car and put money into some mods, or if i should be putting this money into the negative and getting rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Crazy story but in the end it really matter what you want in a car. Personally if you like the car, spent a little and make it special and yours. There is a lot of mods that you can see from here on the forums.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

If you are worried about the financial side of things, then keep the car and enjoy it; modded or not. The accident will matter less and less the longer you keep it.
I assume the repairs were satisfactory/good and you still like the car.
Enjoy.
What was the cost of the repairs?
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Crazy story but in the end it really matter what you want in a car. Personally if you like the car, spent a little and make it special and yours. There is a lot of mods that you can see from here on the forums.

Best of luck!
I really miss the performance and drivers car feel of the M5, i drive my cars a lot (already have about 58k on this one and not even a year yet) and i like to push them, while this is a bit peppy the let down is where BMW usually shines in the twisties, etc. I really want more power and better handling but don't know if an investment in this one is wiser than just upgrading. I have been looking at a lot of mods especially tunes but the HP increase seems so small on these engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
If you are worried about the financial side of things, then keep the car and enjoy it; modded or not. The accident will matter less and less the longer you keep it.
I assume the repairs were satisfactory/good and you still like the car.
Enjoy.
What was the cost of the repairs?
Yes, i feel that is the logical thing to do, the car is depreciating a lot so unless i keep it i will lose money. I have been juggling the idea of getting possibly another E60 M5 on the side to enjoy when i need my fix.

The repairs were about 13K pretty much a complete front rebuild, including some engine and cooling components minus the passanger headlight. I have Geico and what i found out, is that their fine print like many other companies state they have the right to use OEM "like" parts before OEM. I was told this when i demanded OEM be used. They told me if OEM "like" quality parts were not found then i could get OEM. Luckily for me all of the parts had to be ordered from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I think you may have been caught by the glimmer of the new tech in the new car, and thought you wouldn't miss the brawn of the older one. I can understand that but had already resolved it in my head that I would be giving up one driving experience for a new driving experience, and to that end, I am happy with that, although for me, it was a pretty big move in that I know that I will probably never own another screaming 6 banger pushing over 400hp that sounds like a beast.

Fast forward, I've had my 2013 M-Sport for almost a year. It can roar! Doesn't have the low-end thump of my 1990 300zx TT, but if I wanted i to, I could make it do that, but I was looking for the sleeper. This car can absolutely roar, but can also purr like a kitten.

And I love the new tech!

I am really, seriously impressed with the suspension and handling of this car. And that say's a lot because I had the most popular upgrades done to my Z and thought, and actually still do, think that there's not much better. But as a new BMW owner, I am totally in awe with everything about this car.

My only 'what if' is, what if I had found a nicely equipped 2014 550 M-Sport instead. And me being so old school and always loving any big or small block 8 cylinder, but also having learned to appreciate a great 6 banger, am I missing anything?

Right now, I think not. A screaming/roaring 6 banger seems to have satisfied my yearning for an 8 cylinder. For several years now.

Your car can be what you want!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ammin View Post
I think you may have been caught by the glimmer of the new tech in the new car, and thought you wouldn't miss the brawn of the older one. I can understand that but had already resolved it in my head that I would be giving up one driving experience for a new driving experience, and to that end, I am happy with that, although for me, it was a pretty big move in that I know that I will probably never own another screaming 6 banger pushing over 400hp that sounds like a beast.

Fast forward, I've had my 2013 M-Sport for almost a year. It can roar! Doesn't have the low-end thump of my 1990 300zx TT, but if I wanted i to, I could make it do that, but I was looking for the sleeper. This car can absolutely roar, but can also purr like a kitten.

And I love the new tech!

I am really, seriously impressed with the suspension and handling of this car. And that say's a lot because I had the most popular upgrades done to my Z and thought, and actually still do, think that there's not much better. But as a new BMW owner, I am totally in awe with everything about this car.

My only 'what if' is, what if I had found a nicely equipped 2014 550 M-Sport instead. And me being so old school and always loving any big or small block 8 cylinder, but also having learned to appreciate a great 6 banger, am I missing anything?

Right now, I think not. A screaming/roaring 6 banger seems to have satisfied my yearning for an 8 cylinder. For several years now.

Great example, and i do understand what you mean. I think for me it wasn't so much the tech although it is nice, but more that i had already set my mind in having this for a short while till circumstances allowed me to have an enjoyable beast again. Just the fact that i feel stuck at the moment and even though investing in a car is always a gamble/loss for the most part. Just trying to justify what makes sense to me, at the moment it is keep this car as my priorities have changed a bit. This will be my 6th BMW and having learned a lot from the experience of each. You kind of build a niche for yourself as what you want the car to be. This one for me is just a bit off of what i usually like. I think for the time being i should take the plunge and slowly begin to do things to compensate for what i feel the car lacks. It does handle a little better with the sportier wheels and tires but overall at least for me still lacking some things. I think i will try and make it a little more my own to my taste and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That was a heckuva switch man. I bet if you had gone M-Sport the transistion would have probably been a little quicker too.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to check out Sprint Booster. I would advise you not to google it though because what you will find is a lot of nonsense from people that have never even used it.

I noticed the rubber-band throttle action even on the test drive with this car, but once you get it all spooled up (and not talking turbos), things come alive, and I was ok with that.

Later, I did the throttle recalibration routine and even though there is lots of controversy as to whether that does anything, it really did get rid of a dead spot at the beginning of my throttle travel. The rubber band feel was still there, however.

Then, even after reading all of the reviews on Sprint Booster and the like, since it had a 30 day guarantee, I took the plunge.

Even though the parts themselves are not worth $300, the end result is worth much more. It's amazing how something so simple as throttle response can make such a huge difference in your perception of how a car responds. I know it can be a whole subjective experience since some folks are just naturally heavy-footed and may not see the difference at all, but if you have a long history with cable throttled cars, you will feel right at home and the difference for me was night and day.

Little things like that, grill slats, maybe some exhaust work, might be enough and probably cheaper than taking the hit of starting over right now?

edit: love the wheels!

Last edited by S1ammin; 02-15-2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing and welcome

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #9
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was a heckuva switch man. I bet if you had gone M-Sport the transistion would have probably been a little quicker too.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to check out Sprint Booster. I would advise you not to google it though because what you will find is a lot of nonsense from people that have never even used it.

I noticed the rubber-band throttle action even on the test drive with this car, but once you get it all spooled up (and not talking turbos), things come alive, and I was ok with that.

Later, I did the throttle recalibration routine and even though there is lots of controversy as to whether that does anything, it really did get rid of a dead spot at the beginning of my throttle travel. The rubber band feel was still there, however.

Then, even after reading all of the reviews on Sprint Booster and the like, since it had a 30 day guarantee, I took the plunge.

Even though the parts themselves are not worth $300, the end result is worth much more. It's amazing how something so simple as throttle response can make such a huge difference in your perception of how a car responds. I know it can be a whole subjective experience since some folks are just naturally heavy-footed and may not see the difference at all, but if you have a long history with cable throttled cars, you will feel right at home and the difference for me was night and day.

Little things like that, grill slats, maybe some exhaust work, might be enough and probably cheaper than taking the hit of starting over right now?

edit: love the wheels!
Thanks, I will look into the Sprint Booster. Have been spending some time over at the tuning section as I do think this is were I want to start if I decide to dive into this car. My biggest dislike right now is lack of research on my end and not getting at least a M sport. Really want paddles and dreading the fact that have to deal with paint etc to get the better aesthetics option bumpers. If I do decide to go with these things, also looking into electric cutouts down the line before the stock mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing and welcome
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Those rims are just so versatile. There are times where Msport wheels didnt suit Msport cars before, but not in this case. The F10-11 looks great with 19s, regardless if its Msport or not. Glad you stuck with the car!
      02-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
I think a JB4 a sprint booster and maybe springs with a M Sport front bumper will go a ways to close to gap to the M5... not wholly, but closer. The car may not be an outright V10 monster, but you obviously know that its got more usable power for everyday. I think a tune will help with the anemia of the car.

The paddles on the wheel are nice... I specifically looked for M sport because of this, but really living with it day to day.. i use the shifter more than the paddles. if i tracked this car, i would probably use more paddles... also, haven't taken it much on backroads either. The wheels are usually $800-$1000 one eBay with airbags... I've fantasized about a LCI M5 wheel for awhile... those are $1200. Maybe mod enough to get by and have the car livable, and once you're out of negative equity, start over with a G30 in a few years!
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00
      02-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
I think a JB4 a sprint booster and maybe springs with a M Sport front bumper will go a ways to close to gap to the M5... not wholly, but closer. The car may not be an outright V10 monster, but you obviously know that its got more usable power for everyday. I think a tune will help with the anemia of the car.

The paddles on the wheel are nice... I specifically looked for M sport because of this, but really living with it day to day.. i use the shifter more than the paddles. if i tracked this car, i would probably use more paddles... also, haven't taken it much on backroads either. The wheels are usually $800-$1000 one eBay with airbags... I've fantasized about a LCI M5 wheel for awhile... those are $1200. Maybe mod enough to get by and have the car livable, and once you're out of negative equity, start over with a G30 in a few years!

I could see myself +1'ing this post over and over had I not done enough research to figure out that:

1. N63=No Go
2. MSport=Starting point.

After that, I pretty much went in blind, other than hoping to find an MSport with great options.

I do consider myself lucky. I had never joined a BWM forum until AFTER I bought my car. Looking back, and since being here, I think I could easily make whatever model I bought, as long as it had the electronic goodies I wanted be my next hobby for the next several years.

The F10 is an awesome platform and I think BMW got it right.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Quote:

And I love the new tech!

Great example, and i do understand what you mean. I think for me it wasn't so much the tech although it is nice, but more that i had already set my mind in having this for a short while till circumstances allowed me to have an enjoyable beast again. Just the fact that i feel stuck at the moment and even though investing in a car is always a gamble/loss for the most part. Just trying to justify what makes sense to me, at the moment it is keep this car as my priorities have changed a bit. This will be my 6th BMW and having learned a lot from the experience of each. You kind of build a niche for yourself as what you want the car to be. This one for me is just a bit off of what i usually like. I think for the time being i should take the plunge and slowly begin to do things to compensate for what i feel the car lacks. It does handle a little better with the sportier wheels and tires but overall at least for me still lacking some things. I think i will try and make it a little more my own to my taste and go from there.
Dude, I fully understand your feeling on this. I went from a D2 S8 into a E60 525 in 2006....with fuel prices then above $4... I commuted 70 miles a day and that S8 was just guzzling gas. I overreacted and went "classy but thrifty" with a CPO 525.... talk about anemic!!! But I still have that car... over 10 years later with 190k miles... still looks and runs great! I have my 13 F10 550i M Sport now because I learned my lesson although I wish I would have gone LCI, but mine was a deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #15
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Those rims are just so versatile. There are times where Msport wheels didnt suit Msport cars before, but not in this case. The F10-11 looks great with 19s, regardless if its Msport or not. Glad you stuck with the car!
Thanks, i do really like the look they give the car. I got lucky on craigslist on the find. They are immaculate too. I knew i had to get rid of those 18s.

Quote:

Yes I'm currently researching a few options for tuning and increased peppiness. Have also been looking into Bootmod3 and RK tunes custom tune out by me. I am still up in the air but once i have my options down to 1 or 2 certain ones i will decided if i will be taking the plunge.

I don't mind the stock steering wheel, and have been looking at a retrofit kit for the paddles. I do often use the shifter during spirited driving but would much rather have the paddles to have both hands on the wheel. This is not my daily car but i do drive far and often during the weekends take the scenic routes and hit the twisties as much as i can.

I do hope the G30 M5s do come with the supposed AWD/RWD option

Quote:
I could see myself +1'ing this post over and over had I not done enough research to figure out that:

1. N63=No Go
2. MSport=Starting point.

After that, I pretty much went in blind, other than hoping to find an MSport with great options.

I do consider myself lucky. I had never joined a BWM forum until AFTER I bought my car. Looking back, and since being here, I think I could easily make whatever model I bought, as long as it had the electronic goodies I wanted be my next hobby for the next several years.

The F10 is an awesome platform and I think BMW got it right.
Yes, lack of research got me where i am. The F10 is an amazing platform and looks beautiful. Im not in such a bad place i should start admiring the car more regardless of what it is.

Quote:
Dude, I fully understand your feeling on this. I went from a D2 S8 into a E60 525 in 2006....with fuel prices then above $4... I commuted 70 miles a day and that S8 was just guzzling gas. I overreacted and went "classy but thrifty" with a CPO 525.... talk about anemic!!! But I still have that car... over 10 years later with 190k miles... still looks and runs great! I have my 13 F10 550i M Sport now because I learned my lesson although I wish I would have gone LCI, but mine was a deal.
I am definitely learning my lesson during this experience, and in the end this might turn into exactly the same as your 525 story.
Appreciate 0