2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum none iphone integrations with idrive

06-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

none iphone integrations with idrive

I am about to change my phone and maybe venturing into other than i-phone this time around but not sure if this is a wise move when looking at the integration with the idrive, any advice from you folks with other smartphone, I am considering the Sony range as I like the water proof and solid factor of the hardware but looks like not even a cradle exist for this phone with BMW accessories.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

The Sony Xperia series are good phones but Sony is known to drop the ball on updates. As far as phones go, the only ones with a good and trouble free update schedule are iPhones and Google Nexus. Now Motorola is pretty good too. HTC and Samsung is improving.

But overall, you're not going to find much accessories for Android phones vs iPhones simply because iPhones are the most common phones out there. If I have to guess, probably more than half of BMW drivers use iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
The Sony Xperia series are good phones but Sony is known to drop the ball on updates. As far as phones go, the only ones with a good and trouble free update schedule are iPhones and Google Nexus. Now Motorola is pretty good too. HTC and Samsung is improving.

But overall, you're not going to find much accessories for Android phones vs iPhones simply because iPhones are the most common phones out there. If I have to guess, probably more than half of BMW drivers use iPhones.
Thanks for the feedback on Sony and updates, an important point so far with my iphone a good steady experience no real problems!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263

Then why doesn't email work with Idrive without first having to restart it every damn time? Usually at 60 mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Then why doesn't email work with Idrive without first having to restart it every damn time? Usually at 60 mph.
Assuming you are referring to the refresh of messages on the idrive. You will have to go into the options via the iDrive controller and refresh every time you connect.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For conveying a well known issue with iPhones and Idrive?
Do you perform a refresh whenever you connect?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz
Quote:
For conveying a well known issue with iPhones and Idrive?
Do you perform a refresh whenever you connect?
Well, what I do is essentially kill the email process on the iPhone by double clicking the round home button and then swiping the email app away from your person. This fixes the problem and then Idrive will start showing emails.

It's been this way for at least 5 years.

You can't just have your iPhone automatically connect Bluetooth and then show emails without performing the steps above.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, what I do is essentially kill the email process on the iPhone by double clicking the round home button and then swiping the email app away from your person. This fixes the problem and then Idrive will start showing emails.

You can't just have your iPhone automatically connect Bluetooth and then show emails without performing the steps above.
This is the standard process (from my understanding) otherwise the iDrive will constantly try to restore access to your emails leading to sync problems. This is the same for text messages by the way. I agree it is frustrating, buy if you consider the refresh rate is not bad, you end with a service that is guaranteed to work (most of the time).

Do you go into office and attempt a refresh before clearing out the iPhone apps memory?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
macastel
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I have a 2015 550i. can somebody please tell me why I don't have OFFICE in the main menu of the iDrive? I have an iPhone 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by macastel View Post
I have a 2015 550i. can somebody please tell me why I don't have OFFICE in the main menu of the iDrive? I have an iPhone 6.
probably because it ordered as an option on your car. It's just a software thing, maybe someone can code it in.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I just bought an iPhone 6, it's a lot better connectivity wise than my old Samsung S3. I had the cradle for the S3 and didn't think it was worth the money as it only charged the phone, it would not stream music.

The original lightning cable on the iPhone 6 charges the phone and streams music with album artwork. So much better in quality than the Bluetooth streaming that I used with the S3...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz
Quote:

This is the standard process (from my understanding) otherwise the iDrive will constantly try to restore access to your emails leading to sync problems. This is the same for text messages by the way. I agree it is frustrating, buy if you consider the refresh rate is not bad, you end with a service that is guaranteed to work (most of the time).

Do you go into office and attempt a refresh before clearing out the iPhone apps memory?
Never had to do any of this kind of thing with my Blackberry Q10
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Never had to do any of this kind of thing with my Blackberry Q10
Depends how you use your phone. .

Ironic. . A BB that actually does something well
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macastel View Post
We are already emailing each other about coding, so I'll give you more detail in an email, but your car's Vehicle Order (VO) may have to be coded to enable the Enhanced Blue Tooth features. You can look around the coding forums for data on Enhanced Blue Tooth.
      06-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Office is not spectacular in my personal opinion. Have some patience and wait until you hit the dealership for a service or something similar. Get them to sort it!
Appreciate 0