2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum new to my F10, have a few questions regarding DHP

06-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

new to my F10, have a few questions regarding DHP

Hey guys, I just recently bought a second hand F10. I'm quite new to the F10 (been an E30 guy), so I hope you guys could help me with a few questions I have with these newer BMWs.

How would I know if my car has the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package)? I ran my VIN on http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and the DHP did not show up on the equipment list. The car does have an Msport suspension (code S704A) but that was all that was mentioned regarding the suspension on the car. Is the Msport suspension different from the DHP?

I have an Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes available. I know his affects the transmission set up and probably engine power when I swap from mode to mode, but does this also stiffen up or soften the suspension when I swap from mode to mode? The previous owner of the car said it does but I just don't feel it when I drive.

Furthermore, did the F10 ever have electric steering and hydraulic steering models? Or are they all the same kind? If they had different variants, how would I know which one my car has?

Thanks!

Last edited by thealbert; 06-07-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealbert View Post
Hey guys, I just recently bought a second hand F10. I'm quite new to the F10 so I hope you guys could help me with a few questions I have.

How would I know if my car has the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package)? I ran my VIN on http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and the DHP did not show up on the equipment list. The car does have an Msport suspension (code S704A) but that was all that was mentioned regarding the suspension on the car. Is the Msport suspension different from the DHP?

I have an Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes available. I know his affects the transmission set up and probably engine power when I swap from mode to mode, but does this also stiffen up or soften the suspension when I swap from mode to mode? The previous owner of the car said it does but I just don't feel it when I drive.

Furthermore, did the F10 ever have electric steering and hydraulic steering models? Or are they all the same kind? If they had different variants, how would I know which one my car has?

Thanks!
704 is the passive M-sport suspension.

No active parts, so no change in the suspension through the modes.

Steering is EPS on the RWD models, xDrive has the HPAS.

In some markets there is the Integral Active Steering (IAS) as a stand alone option.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 06-07-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

For your car, changing to sport mode changes the throttle response, it sits 1 gear lower than normal mode, faster gear changes and it holds gear longer. I believe the steering also tighten up.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
For your car, changing to sport mode changes the throttle response, it sits 1 gear lower than normal mode, faster gear changes and it holds gear longer. I believe the steering also tighten up.
Throttle response, shift points, and steering feel at certain speeds, but not faster shifts. You need the SAT option for faster shifts.
      06-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Throttle response, shift points, and steering feel at certain speeds, but not faster shifts. You need the SAT option for faster shifts.
I'm assuming he has SAT. Rarely anyone who order M Sport would skip SAT.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming he has SAT. Rarely anyone who order M Sport would skip SAT.
Pardon my ignorance but what does SAT stand for?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but what does SAT stand for?
SAT is the Sport Automatic Transmission option. It adds paddle shifters and also enables software changes that give you faster more aggressive shifts in Sport mode. Some drivers like the paddles, others have no use for them and skip the SAT option.
      06-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
SAT is the Sport Automatic Transmission option. It adds paddle shifters and also enables software changes that give you faster more aggressive shifts in Sport mode. Some drivers like the paddles, others have no use for them and skip the SAT option.
Ah yes, my car has this. Thanks for the description.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Lieutenant
Rep

I rarely use the paddle shifters. The most important thing to me about SAT is its cosmetic factor. The leather around the shift stick and aluminum paddles does look pretty cool.

The only useful function for me so far is I can quickly downshift in DC traffic to pass retarded drivers. I also downshift for engine braking to charge the battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I rarely use the paddle shifters. The most important thing to me about SAT is its cosmetic factor. The leather around the shift stick and aluminum paddles does look pretty cool.

The only useful function for me so far is I can quickly downshift in DC traffic to pass retarded drivers. I also downshift for engine braking to charge the battery.
I've had paddle shifters in the last four cars that I have owned (BMW & Benz). I have never used them. Even on trackdays, I just slap it into sport mode and go. I tried using the paddles once, they still don't work. Though I've tried them on a Ferrari, and yup, they work on that car!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've had paddle shifters in the last four cars that I have owned (BMW & Benz). I have never used them. Even on trackdays, I just slap it into sport mode and go. I tried using the paddles once, they still don't work. Though I've tried them on a Ferrari, and yup, they work on that car!
What do you mean by "they still don't work"? i use them quite often especially for canyon runs like I did earlier today. They also work quite well heading hard into a corner - a couple of flicks, you're down two gears, the tranny rev matches and you're set up to rocket out of the corner.