2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Too light a steering wheel?

11-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

Too light a steering wheel?

I don’t know if it is the turning radius of the F10 or the fact that the steering wheel feels very light during low speed turns or the size of the car but I tend to over-turn the wheel when making a right turn out of a corner.

I also hesitate pulling out of a spot into traffic under heavy throttle because I’m not confident on how much steering to dial in nor do I know if the steering wheel will firm up and straighten itself out.

Is the steering wheel on other F10s overly light also or does having sport package correct that? I remember having a 330i that BMW retrofitted with a “heavier” steering wheel. I wonder if the option will be available at a cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

do you have variable steering ratio option on your car? personally I really liked heavy steering of 3 series before, but like 5 series steering even better because I can maneuver tight corners without turning the wheel so much. In japan, it's pretty common to have to turn your wheel to lock to go around corners. Also if you have sport package, your steering wheel firm up when you put your car into sport and sport+, but only in higher speeds such as 50+mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallieX5 View Post
I don’t know if it is the turning radius of the F10 or the fact that the steering wheel feels very light during low speed turns or the size of the car but I tend to over-turn the wheel when making a right turn out of a corner.

I also hesitate pulling out of a spot into traffic under heavy throttle because I’m not confident on how much steering to dial in nor do I know if the steering wheel will firm up and straighten itself out.

Is the steering wheel on other F10s overly light also or does having sport package correct that? I remember having a 330i that BMW retrofitted with a “heavier” steering wheel. I wonder if the option will be available at a cost.
The F10 has electronic steering as opposed the the E60 and 330i's hydraulic steering --- that's why it doesn't have that heavy feel. The hydraulic and heavy steering is a thing of the past now as the new 3 series has electronic. If you want hydraulic steering, you'll have to get an F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Welcome to the world of the "modern" BMW. Gone are the days of tactile feedback, glued to the road gravitational pull and toss er around a bit. Too much luxury, comfort and softness!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
WallieX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jahre IB G80

I've heard people complain about electronic steering wheels for a while but I've always wondered what the big deal was. It sucks!!!! I guess an M5 it is then:-) Wouldn't it be funny choosing to buy an M5 over a 535 due to the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
If you want hydraulic steering, you'll have to get an F10 M5.
I thought I read that the X-Drive equipped cars come with hydraulic power steering. Don't quote me on that, though.
Appreciate 0