2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 5-series ride/luxury

09-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

5-series ride/luxury

So, after the R8 arrived, I've been driving it nearly everywhere - making use of it before the winter arrives. And when going out with the family, we've been taking my wife's Q5 pretty frequently. So the 5-series has been sitting idle at home for many weeks now.

However, we took the 550xi out for a trip this weekend, and wow - after only about 5 or 6 weeks, stepping back in the 5-series, you forget how luxurious the drive is and how much the car pampers you. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to a screaming V10 behind my head for the past several weeks (which makes the car's B&O sound system completely ironic), or feeling many of the bumps in the road... but driving the 5 for a few hours this weekend, it really reminded me of what a great job BMW did with the ride (DHP is amazing), the seat comfort (down to the plush headrest), and the quietness of the car.

While I don't expect the R8 to soak up bumps in the road, I'd expect the Q5 (an SUV) to do a much better job than a sedan with 19" rims and run-flat tires... but it's actually not the case. With all but some of the most massive pot-holes (which will jar the 5), the 5-series does a superior job at soaking up road imperfects by FAR when compared to the Q5. Even my wife commented about it (unprovoked) since she hadn't ridden in the 5 for some time.

Anyway, no real point of this post - but I found it interesting what a month or so away from the 5 can tell you. I thoroughly enjoyed the comfortable highway cruising this weekend while having the active seats gently keep my bum awake! I'm looking forward to seeing what BMW does with the next gen 5-series - hoping I like it, as I'd gladly buy another after this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I know what you mean.
I have driven my highly modified BMW 850 this summer, and with 19" wheels (25 year old car so 19" is big), stiff suspension and a supercharged V12 with a pretty much a straight pipe exhaust the difference is striking.
I also had a few rides in a friends e46 M3, and when I get into my 5 the ride is effortless, comforting and just great.
Truly a great car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

My 5"28" makes me feel the same way and it's my only car.
Ferry around 4 adults - total comfort and luxury.
Tackle a sharp turn with full load - no problem on eibach 550 springs+base non-adaptive suspension, car hardly tilts.
Beat a motorcycle at the lights to merge - takes off like a jet/rocket (may be a little biased here..) VRROOM - what a thrill you can get on a N52 @ 258hp
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Love the Comfort + feature for long drives.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Driving around in a R8 will make you appreciate the F10's comfort that much more. As much as Audi has improve in recent years, in my opinion, BMW still makes the best suspension. We had a Q5 as well a few years ago, I agree that the ride is not as comfortable as the F10. The Q5 shares a platform with the A4, technically, the F10 should be compare to the Q7 since the Q7 shares its platform with the Volkswagen Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne. The Q7 has a very nice ride, too bad it handles like a boat.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Anyway, no real point of this post - but I found it interesting what a month or so away from the 5 can tell you.
Or come from another brand to your first BMW in my case, and that's after test driving anything and everything out there in the meantime, as well as trying different cars friends and co-workers own.

I've said it many times, 5 series doesn't blow you away immediately. It's impressive, but over long period of time, you learn to appreciate what this car is all about. I'm impressed daily with the level of refinement it offers. So many subtle things that make it great, combination of fun, comfort and great looks is hard to beat.

Nice to read it's still enjoyable for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Driving around in a R8 will make you appreciate the F10's comfort that much more. As much as Audi has improve in recent years, in my opinion, BMW still makes the best suspension. We had a Q5 as well a few years ago, I agree that the ride is not as comfortable as the F10. The Q5 shares a platform with the A4, technically, the F10 should be compare to the Q7 since the Q7 shares its platform with the Volkswagen Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne. The Q7 has a very nice ride, too bad it handles like a boat.
My wife is looking for a larger SUV now - mainly because "kid stuff" has taken over the little Q5, and we're keen on the idea of getting something with back-seat entertainment - amazing how quiet the ride gets when there isn't screaming from the back seat!

I agree with you about the Q7 - looks like a giant eggplant to me, honestly. And yes, BMW's suspension is second to none as far as I'm concerned - none of the Germans feel quite the same. I liked the more nimble dynamics of the Q5, but it's just not big enough any more. I took her to see the new X5, but she said the dashboard looks too "spaceship like" - hey, I love spaceships! But honestly, the outside of the new X5 is depressingly boxy to me... I really loved the last generation. She likes the Porsche Cayenne, but it's awfully expensive for what you get - every little option is extra. But it's a very nice handling SUV, for sure. The VW may be something to look at, as well - forgot about that one, but it shares so much in common that it's probably a great alternative.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Or come from another brand to your first BMW in my case, and that's after test driving anything and everything out there in the meantime, as well as trying different cars friends and co-workers own.

I've said it many times, 5 series doesn't blow you away immediately. It's impressive, but over long period of time, you learn to appreciate what this car is all about. I'm impressed daily with the level of refinement it offers. So many subtle things that make it great, combination of fun, comfort and great looks is hard to beat.

Nice to read it's still enjoyable for you.
I've driven BMWs for 14 years now, and the F10 is the best of the lot for sure. It's the perfect mix of high-end luxury with sporting character. I've owned other brands mixed-in (Audi, Land Rover, Infiniti, etc), but I always kept a BMW in the garage too - and nothing else really stood the test of time. I think it's easy to take for granted because you drive it all the time - but not driving it for some time and coming back to it really makes you realize how great it is all over again.

When I was picking up the R8 the sales guy asked me what my DD was - I told him the 550xi. He immediately wanted to "replace it" (for my benefit, of course) with an S6. He didn't quite understand that I had purposefully (and recently) bought the 550xi OVER the S6, E-class, etc. While nice cars, I don't think any of the other competitors do what the 5-series does in this segment.

Like I said, I hope that whatever they come out with after the F10 is at least as good because it would be such a disappointment if not. I wasn't a fan of the bangle E60 - it was a nice driving car but the looks never settled with me. The F10 is just a gorgeous car from every angle, which is matched by it's interior - finally a return to the driver-oriented dash, super plush materials, the whole nine yards. I understand they're taking an evolutionary approach with design - I'm hoping there will be some killer new tech, though... even though the F10 is already a technology powerhouse!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
My wife is looking for a larger SUV now - mainly because "kid stuff" has taken over the little Q5, and we're keen on the idea of getting something with back-seat entertainment - amazing how quiet the ride gets when there isn't screaming from the back seat!

I agree with you about the Q7 - looks like a giant eggplant to me, honestly. And yes, BMW's suspension is second to none as far as I'm concerned - none of the Germans feel quite the same. I liked the more nimble dynamics of the Q5, but it's just not big enough any more. I took her to see the new X5, but she said the dashboard looks too "spaceship like" - hey, I love spaceships! But honestly, the outside of the new X5 is depressingly boxy to me... I really loved the last generation. She likes the Porsche Cayenne, but it's awfully expensive for what you get - every little option is extra. But it's a very nice handling SUV, for sure. The VW may be something to look at, as well - forgot about that one, but it shares so much in common that it's probably a great alternative.
We installed a back-seat entertainment system when my son was younger in my wife's Lexus, it was a god sent In my opinion, the Q7 do not belong in the Audi lineup, it feels big and clumsy comparing to the rest of the Audi's offering. As far as the X5's dashboard looking like a spaceship, did the X5 your wife test drove have the extended dash? The Cayenne is a nice SUV, but its not much bigger than the Q5 and you are right, everything is extra and it adds up fast. Honestly, if I were going to spend 6 figures on a Porsche, it would not be a SUV. For that kind of money, I would look at the direction of the Range Rover Sport. Have you consider the new Jeep Grand Cherokees, its not a premium brand, but for the money, the quality is unbeatable. There is also redesign 2016 Q7 coming out next year, it is suppose to compete with the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
We installed a back-seat entertainment system when my son was younger in my wife's Lexus, it was a god sent In my opinion, the Q7 do not belong in the Audi lineup, it feels big and clumsy comparing to the rest of the Audi's offering. As far as the X5's dashboard looking like a spaceship, did the X5 your wife test drove have the extended dash? The Cayenne is a nice SUV, but its not much bigger than the Q5 and you are right, everything is extra and it adds up fast. Honestly, if I were going to spend 6 figures on a Porsche, it would not be a SUV. For that kind of money, I would look at the direction of the Range Rover Sport. Have you consider the new Jeep Grand Cherokees, its not a premium brand, but for the money, the quality is unbeatable. There is also redesign 2016 Q7 coming out next year, it is suppose to compete with the Cayenne.
I'd really like to see what the new Q7 brings - that would be great if it's more Cayenne like. And yes, I agree - for the money, it's just awfully expensive for an SUV... especially one where my son throws all sorts of stuff around that was in his mouth 2 minutes earlier.

I hadn't looked at the Jeep, but I do like the look of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
f10inSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport Space Grey

+1 on the Jeep Grand Cherokee

I had a loaded 2012 and let me tell you that thing is NICE. The current line up offers a ZF 8-speed tranny and diesel.

If you want all the options check out a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee "Overland Summit". This car has EVERYTHING including upgraded nappa leather and leather dash. Im sure the 4x4 will come in handy in the winters.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #12
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
My 5"28" makes me feel the same way and it's my only car.
Ferry around 4 adults - total comfort and luxury.
Tackle a sharp turn with full load - no problem on eibach 550 springs+base non-adaptive suspension, car hardly tilts.
Beat a motorcycle at the lights to merge - takes off like a jet/rocket (may be a little biased here..) VRROOM - what a thrill you can get on a N52 @ 258hp
Then that motorcycle was not trying.... I ride a Ninja 300 and it can beat a 550i.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I get to appreciate mine daily, I use it to commute back and forth from my business.

At work I'm generally driving a van, a JCB, a Bobcat or a forklift. So at the end of a day it just feels great jumping into the 5 and appreciating it's qualities...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Usually for any short-term commutes or if the weather is nice, I take my bike out since we only have a few more weeks of good weather.... I ride a 300 which is kind of aggressive with a hunched back position, so after a while (10-20 miles), it gets cumbersome. Just stepping into the F10 on a Friday night is bliss.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

I had the same feeling after test driving a 2014 Porsche 911 C4S. I've always wanted one, but due to parking constraints (and money), I would have to choose one or the other). I loved the way the car drove and soured, but after the test drive, I got back into my 535 X Drive and drove home. Coupled in large part with the fact that my two young kids would have trouble being comfortable in the rear of a 911 and the extreme comfort of the 5, I wished I had more money and a 3 car garage so I could have both. So, for now its the F10.
      09-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I had the same feeling after test driving a 2014 Porsche 911 C4S. I've always wanted one, but due to parking constraints (and money), I would have to choose one or the other). I loved the way the car drove and soured, but after the test drive, I got back into my 535 X Drive and drove home. Coupled in large part with the fact that my two young kids would have trouble being comfortable in the rear of a 911 and the extreme comfort of the 5, I wished I had more money and a 3 car garage so I could have both. So, for now its the F10.
I think you made the right decision. As comfortable as these manufacturers can make their sports cars and exotics these days, their primary purpose is still very clear when you step inside. I often thought that if I lived down south where there was no snow that I would otherwise drive the R8 as a DD - I know some people do, as some people DD a 911, Vantage, MP4, and even harder-core cars. But there's no substitute for a nice, plush luxury sedan dripping in tech... a car that does DD to the ultimate level.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
I think you made the right decision. As comfortable as these manufacturers can make their sports cars and exotics these days, their primary purpose is still very clear when you step inside. I often thought that if I lived down south where there was no snow that I would otherwise drive the R8 as a DD - I know some people do, as some people DD a 911, Vantage, MP4, and even harder-core cars. But there's no substitute for a nice, plush luxury sedan dripping in tech... a car that does DD to the ultimate level.
If I didn't have a 5 year old and a 8 year old, I think I'd have made the switch to a C4S. Firmer and smaller, but a lot of fun to drive. Having said that, my F10 is vault like by comparison and I enjoy it for different reasons.