2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Odd Adaptive Headlight Happenings

11-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Odd Adaptive Headlight Happenings

SO I just finished washing the car a while ago and when I turned on the car I had the dreaded headlight malfunction along with the front headlight signal, angel eyes, and marker not working.

After 1/2 an hour the side marker in the headlight along with the angel eyes came back on but the adaptive headlight still threw a code.

Another 1/2 an hour the headlight is working normally again...

Anyone ever had this happen to them? Can't exactly put in a warranty claim when its now functioning properly again...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
bimmertaxi
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 525d

Garage List
2014 BMW 530d  [0.00]
2010 BMW 525d  [0.00]
Had this happen to me recently. Headlight worked again after I pulled and reinserted the fuse for the headlight driver module. I believe it leaves a bunch of fault codes that can be diagnosed. The dealer were prepared to swap the module if necessary, but I haven't been to the workshop yet.

I have the LED headlights btw.

Last edited by bimmertaxi; 11-08-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Simple5
Major
Rep

So pretty much we're taking a gamble when washing our cars even? I wonder if taping off the outer edges of the headlights and also near the fender liners would help with water not getting into the module area.. my car is garaged so in reality I only wash it once every couple of weeks..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Pmen
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW 440i

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just went through the same problems. Car wash brought on left turn signal and adaptive error lights. Turns out the circular cover on the back of the headlight assembly, accessed through the wheelwell had come loose and was lodged between the frame and the wheelwell. Put a hair dryer into the headlight to dry it off and reseated the cover on the back of the headlight and errors went away. All is good. There are two screws at the top of the wheelwell that hold a cover in place that allows access to the back of the headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Simple5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmen View Post
Just went through the same problems. Car wash brought on left turn signal and adaptive error lights. Turns out the circular cover on the back of the headlight assembly, accessed through the wheelwell had come loose and was lodged between the frame and the wheelwell. Put a hair dryer into the headlight to dry it off and reseated the cover on the back of the headlight and errors went away. All is good. There are two screws at the top of the wheelwell that hold a cover in place that allows access to the back of the headlight assembly.
Finally got a chance to jack up the car and take a look. Sure enough, the affected side, the passenger side, was indeed missing the rear circular cap. Made sure to give it an extra turn for tightness..

Thanks dude! Would have looked silly taking it to the dealer!
Appreciate 0