2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum car feels werid after reprograming

02-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

car feels werid after reprograming

well here's the situation. I took my car into the dealership to get a alignment because my steering wheel was not straight. my service guy asked me was my car pulling to the right I said no. what I didn't know that he put it down on my paper that I did have it (didn't realize it until I got my car back & looked at the paperwork) so at first I was like okay maybe it's just better for my car to be updated with all the recent software update. I guess not...my car feels complete different car. I'm referring to steering feel part. everything is just so sensitive like I guess the new software updates tell the computer to not drift that it lacks to be straight. everytime I am driving I'm always zig zagging because of the sensitive steering wheel. I was just wondering if I bring the car back can they reprogram everything to how it was when i first brought the car in? for example going back to the original software my car had before the software update? this is really frustrating I find my arm being so tired from going back n forth with the steering wheel all the time *
      02-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, BMW 535i

Brother I hear you. What you experience is the same thing that those of us with the drift now have after the fix. Our cars no longer drift, yet they don't go straight without constant monitoring of the wheel. I guess is the lesser of two evils.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

but, I never had the pulling to the right issue tho. I'm mad because they upgraded my software. I was just wondering can they reverse everything they did to my car? I'm actually scared to bring it back because they might do something else to it and it's gonna get worse. I don't even know if they know what exactly they performed on my car
      02-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil335i View Post
well here's the situation. I took my car into the dealership to get a alignment because my steering wheel was not straight.(*
But did you get the alignement? Maybe thats where they screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

My experience was very different, when my iDrive software was updated in November 2010.

No drifting or steering misalignment issues before the software update. However, keeping straight at high speeds was a chore due to the constant L-R corrections required. After the update, the steering had a heavier, more meaty, feel but, more importantly, straight line tracking was much improved, without needing L-R corrections every couple of seconds. The issue is not completely resolved as some L-R corrections are still required but I have learnt to live with it, for now. Hopefully, the next update may eliminate this completely.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

It might help if all of you guys with good/bad/improved/worse steering would post your build dates.

As for BMW software updates, I've had them really mess up the car with these things in the past, and no, they generally cannot go back to what it was.

I typically insist that they never install any updates without checking with me first. Unless it directly effects the problem that the car is in service for, I prefer that they not update the car's software.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
It might help if all of you guys with good/bad/improved/worse steering would post your build dates.

As for BMW software updates, I've had them really mess up the car with these things in the past, and no, they generally cannot go back to what it was.

I typically insist that they never install any updates without checking with me first. Unless it directly effects the problem that the car is in service for, I prefer that they not update the car's software.
This lesson I learned many years ago, if the car runs and drives great.......... Leave it alone.
      02-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
well here's the situation. I took my car into the dealership to get a alignment because my steering wheel was not straight. my service guy asked me was my car pulling to the right I said no. what I didn't know that he put it down on my paper that I did have it (didn't realize it until I got my car back & looked at the paperwork) so at first I was like okay maybe it's just better for my car to be updated with all the recent software update. I guess not...my car feels complete different car. I'm referring to steering feel part. everything is just so sensitive like I guess the new software updates tell the computer to not drift that it lacks to be straight. everytime I am driving I'm always zig zagging because of the sensitive steering wheel. I was just wondering if I bring the car back can they reprogram everything to how it was when i first brought the car in? for example going back to the original software my car had before the software update? this is really frustrating I find my arm being so tired from going back n forth with the steering wheel all the time *
Evil,

My 2 Cents. I suspect the main contributor to your new steering sensitivity is the fact that you had an alignment (only way to properly set a steering wheel), in conjunction with the tire wear that you accumulated to this point. Some could be with new programming, especially if it increased the sensitivity of the steering.

Is there an actual program campaign or update that is referenced on your invoice. If so, can you let us know what it is? Normally, BMW will update all cars that come in whenever for maintainance. Whether or not they can go back, might be possible but do not know. Also, check the air pressure in your tires. I know for a fact that many dealers have their own "ideal" set point and when working on customers cars, especially on an alignment, will set them to something other than what is stated on the sticker.

Lastly, it might be worthwhile to talk to the shop manager. Describe your condition and see if he has any suggestions. I've never understood why Bimmers are this way, but one of the things they do when performing an alignment is to weigh the car down with specific weights in the front seats, back seats and trunk. (you should see the stack of special "weight bags" my dealer has!) You can ask if they did this properly....I imagine they did though.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
But did you get the alignement? Maybe thats where they screwed up.
Nope, they never performed it. all they did was swap the front tires & programming/encoding control units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernic View Post
My experience was very different, when my iDrive software was updated in November 2010.

No drifting or steering misalignment issues before the software update. However, keeping straight at high speeds was a chore due to the constant L-R corrections required. After the update, the steering had a heavier, more meaty, feel but, more importantly, straight line tracking was much improved, without needing L-R corrections every couple of seconds. The issue is not completely resolved as some L-R corrections are still required but I have learnt to live with it, for now. Hopefully, the next update may eliminate this completely.
yeah, thats how my car feels...im just mad that they updated my SW. all i needed was a simple alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

mine was built the first week of dec delivery to me jan 13. This sw did mess up my car. doesnt feel the same anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This lesson I learned many years ago, if the car runs and drives great.......... Leave it alone.
I feel u on this one. My car did run perfect no issue at all. only thing was steerign wheel was not straight. a simple alginment would have been good to fix this. If i knew dealer was gonna do this i would have took it to my alignment guy & have him do it for 25 bucks.
      02-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Evil,

My 2 Cents. I suspect the main contributor to your new steering sensitivity is the fact that you had an alignment (only way to properly set a steering wheel), in conjunction with the tire wear that you accumulated to this point. Some could be with new programming, especially if it increased the sensitivity of the steering.

Is there an actual program campaign or update that is referenced on your invoice. If so, can you let us know what it is? Normally, BMW will update all cars that come in whenever for maintainance. Whether or not they can go back, might be possible but do not know. Also, check the air pressure in your tires. I know for a fact that many dealers have their own "ideal" set point and when working on customers cars, especially on an alignment, will set them to something other than what is stated on the sticker.

Lastly, it might be worthwhile to talk to the shop manager. Describe your condition and see if he has any suggestions. I've never understood why Bimmers are this way, but one of the things they do when performing an alignment is to weigh the car down with specific weights in the front seats, back seats and trunk. (you should see the stack of special "weight bags" my dealer has!) You can ask if they did this properly....I imagine they did though.

Good Luck
On the paper this is what it said that dealer performed:

3610300 Removing & installing front or rear wheel
8928 w 0.03
6100730 programming/encoding control units
8928 w 0.04
6100983 initialising/normalising slide/tilt sunroff, power windows regulator and steering column adjsutment
8928 w 0.01

522 perogram perform front wheel swap side to side & program & coding conversion ahead driving after program perform steering angle sensor adjsutment, test drive vehicle straight ok. perform programming as per email from david cartwright BMW NA.

This is retarded all i wanted was a alignment and they did all this
      02-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

if the dealer upgraded my software will it say? I asked this cuz my suspension + steering wheels feels like a completely different car. if they didn't I can ask them to just reverse what they did to my car 2 weeks ago. all I wanted was a simple alignment to fix the steering wheel & they did all this.
      02-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
if the dealer upgraded my software will it say? I asked this cuz my suspension + steering wheels feels like a completely different car. if they didn't I can ask them to just reverse what they did to my car 2 weeks ago. all I wanted was a simple alignment to fix the steering wheel & they did all this.
I sure sympathize with you on this. My experience tells me the less the "techs" at the dealership touch you car the better off you are. I will only bring my car in for a fix if it stops running and I cannot fix it without their help, otherwise they will never see it. I will do the oil changes included in the "free maintenance" myself so they don't mess with it. Recently I asked the idiot at the VW dealer not to do any software update to my wife's VW - I made a big deal about it - yet he did it anyway and told me that the "tech" had failed to read his note and did it as an automatic thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
the "tech" had failed to read his note and did it as an automatic thing.
I have been known to put "post it" notes on the instrument panel, blocking the speedometer, with notes to the mechanic. They love me.

Evil, have you contacted the dealership yet about "fixing" the car back to the way it was?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I sure sympathize with you on this. My experience tells me the less the "techs" at the dealership touch you car the better off you are. I will only bring my car in for a fix if it stops running and I cannot fix it without their help, otherwise they will never see it. I will do the oil changes included in the "free maintenance" myself so they don't mess with it. Recently I asked the idiot at the VW dealer not to do any software update to my wife's VW - I made a big deal about it - yet he did it anyway and told me that the "tech" had failed to read his note and did it as an automatic thing.
Me too.. I'm just hoping I got a 'good' car with no issues/breakdowns down the road, at the rate I drive I would only have to go back to the dealer once every 2yrs, and if I knew how to change the oil and other basic maintainence I would NEVER have to go back
I worry about sharp fingernails digging into the steering wheel, or one dirty hand on the oyster headliner
I'm even considering not going back for the free maintenance at the one-year mark.. it'll be summer and the techs are bound to be drenched in sweat <cringe>
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Me too.. I'm just hoping I got a 'good' car with no issues/breakdowns down the road, at the rate I drive I would only have to go back to the dealer once every 2yrs, and if I knew how to change the oil and other basic maintainence I would NEVER have to go back
I worry about sharp fingernails digging into the steering wheel, or one dirty hand on the oyster headliner
I'm even considering not going back for the free maintenance at the one-year mark.. it'll be summer and the techs are bound to be drenched in sweat <cringe>
This is very "extreme" to me. The dealership mechanics should be able to work on your car without damaging it. After all thats all they do all day.
      02-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This is very "extreme" to me. The dealership mechanics should be able to work on your car without damaging it. After all thats all they do all day.
Right, it's not like theres a conspiracy to get your car, or the techs are SO careless or incompetent
Actually, the dealer here are quite good.. i just have dealer-aversion. i would rather have a root canal
Appreciate 0