2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Snap-in Media Adapter/Cradle (iPhone 4): anyone able to get it to work consistently?

07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

Snap-in Media Adapter/Cradle (iPhone 4): anyone able to get it to work consistently?

I have a post-March 2011 build 535xi with BMW Apps, smartphone integration, etc.

I recently purchased the snap-in media cradle for the iPhone 4 and find that I can only get it to connect about 25% of the time. I usually get "no compatible device detected" or it connects but becomes unresponsive.

When it does work it seems to work okay, although the icon for video podcasts is greyed-out about 90% of the time. (Yes, I know you can only view the videos when the car is in park).

BMW Apps (which I know will work via USB or the snap-in adapter) also only inconsistently works. (I'll forgo the need to b*tch about the pathetic and limited implementation of those apps...)

So, has anyone figured out the secret to getting the snap-in adapter to work consistently? I've tried various combination of installing it and the phone before or after the car starts and with or without anything plugged into the USB port in the armrest).

I'm loving the car otherwise, but thus far BMW's claims of advanced iPhone integration aren't exactly impressive.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Sorry to hear, but I haven't had any problems with my post March 11 build with iPhone 4. Works every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
BDV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

+1, no problems here...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

Thanks. Perhaps I should arrange for a service appointment and see what they come up with...

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I had a connection problem last week after using it for a few months.

Take the entire cradle out and reseat it three times. Make sure apply pressure to the back where the connector to the car sits.

After that I was good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post
I have a post-March 2011 build 535xi with BMW Apps, smartphone integration, etc.

I recently purchased the snap-in media cradle for the iPhone 4 and find that I can only get it to connect about 25% of the time. I usually get "no compatible device detected" or it connects but becomes unresponsive.

When it does work it seems to work okay, although the icon for video podcasts is greyed-out about 90% of the time. (Yes, I know you can only view the videos when the car is in park).

BMW Apps (which I know will work via USB or the snap-in adapter) also only inconsistently works. (I'll forgo the need to b*tch about the pathetic and limited implementation of those apps...)

So, has anyone figured out the secret to getting the snap-in adapter to work consistently? I've tried various combination of installing it and the phone before or after the car starts and with or without anything plugged into the USB port in the armrest).

I'm loving the car otherwise, but thus far BMW's claims of advanced iPhone integration aren't exactly impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Argelius, make sure the kit is also a 2011 version, check the picture I enclosed in this old tread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549646
notice the silver colour on it.

No problems with my one delivered last month.
Appreciate 0